• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:44:33 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

What bike?

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, September 26, 2018, 03:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Hey all,

So I'm a couple of weeks away from having enough to get my first 250f, or first dirt bike in about 20 years and I still can't decide.

I hear, 08ish Honda's go through rods and the early EFIs bogged, I hear 08ish RMZ's transmissions are made of chocolate, I'm not a big Kawasaki fan but I'd love a 10 onwards YZF..

Ideally I'd love an RMZ so should I go for a 10 EFI?

Thoughts would be great :D

Ruubs

Only thing I can say is that my CRF250 06 has bogging issues as well. Worst bike I've ever ridden. :-X

Though I must say that was my first adult bike, and my new bike is a ktm125EXC 04.

joao santos 17

I have a rmz250 2008 for 10 years now and have a problem with gearbox only one time

𝖙𝖋𝖈

What problem did you have Joao? False neutral?

My guess is it's down to how the bikes been maintained and ridden, but also any bikes with this problem would either be fixed or dead and buried by now, or just not suffering from it.

Thing is, you can search any bike (or car) followed by 'problems' and talk yourself out of buying anything. You only ever hear from how a small number went wrong, not how a large number were fine. I don't want to skip out on a good bike that I love because of something that might not even be a problem :(

Asdrael

Pick a bike you feel good on and that has been well taken care off. That will trump the 0.5s per lap difference on that Shootout when ridden by a guy witha different level, technique and morphology than you any day.

Unless the issue is a real major one (like the frame cracking around the direction column on mid 90's YZ for example), you won't see it when riding at a normal or even decently fast pace. Even when it comes to suspensions.

I will hopefully be on the market for a bike soon, and I will just define the price range and year range. I don't care at all if it had 38 or 41bhp, or if a revolving is needed at 50h instead of 60, or of it is red and not yellow. And once I have a solid basis, I will drop100€ extra on a handle bar with my shape and tyres for my local track. Done. The rest is tender loving care. The only thing that would tip the scales towarda brand versus another would be the local retailer, in case you need advanced maintenance.

(Hoh, and buy good tools. Don't cheap out on that).
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

PizzaChet

Alta. Why? 1) No false neutrals in mid air. B) No seized motors in mid air. F) You can ride in way more places that you can't on a motor scooter. They're making more and more sense to me the more I hear certain stories.
Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

joao santos 17

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Thanks for the advice.

I'd love a KTM Sandy. The only 250f I've ridden was a 2012 250sxf. Before that 15 - 20 years ago was a KX125. Pricey though.

Asdrael I agree and have always been of the opinion that shootouts are useless for the average Joe. I don't want to unknowingly buy something that is going to be a money pit though! I'm never going to ride at a level where a slightly faster or better shaped bike is going to make any difference to me at all.

Pizza, I'd love one dude but do they even sell them in the UK yet? I can't afford one anyway, my budget is 2k gbp.

Unlucky Joao!

You get a lot for your money with a 09 - 12 KXF, the same year YZF I like the look of but they're not as common. I think I'm going to hold out for a 10 onwards RMZ efi.

joao santos 17

A friend of mine have a rmz 450 2010 for 6 years ago and thats a beast fat and 0 problems with the bike

Mace-x

i´d but a 2008-2009 honda(non efi), a 2007+ yamaha, i´d stay away from the kawi and would buy a 2010+ Zook  ;)

btw, i bought myself a 2008 crf 250r, and last time i rode my friends yzf 450 and gosh, i want a 450 now, engine brake is great, torque is amazing, engine really helps you in air to correct nose diving and overall is a more stable, torquier and better feeling.

is more weight but fuck it, i´ll but a 2014ish yzf, rmz or crf next time (in about 2 more years)  ;D

PizzaChet

Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Very true Pizza.

Why stay away from Kawasaki Mace? I've heard nothing but good things, all round, I just don't really like them.

Snappe

Mace-x

Quote from: Snappe on September 27, 2018, 04:07:50 PM
Quote from: тғc on September 26, 2018, 03:58:55 PM
I hear, 08ish Honda's go through rods

I have an 08   :o  ???

Damn, second 08 honda here!  :o

Quote from: тғc on September 27, 2018, 08:49:22 AM
Very true Pizza.

Why stay away from Kawasaki Mace? I've heard nothing but good things, all round, I just don't really like them.

i´ve seen a lot of kawis with engine problems, and at least here, a engine rebuild is around half the cost of a bike so i wouldnt buy them, i might be wrong tho...

TBH, just buy the bike that you like the most, and it´s best maintained, make sure the oil has been changed in a regular basis, the tranny is in good shape (not too much play on the chain/sprocket) and that starts cold and after running it for a while.

LastFriday

Quote from: PizzaChet on September 26, 2018, 06:30:50 PM
Alta. Why? 1) No false neutrals in mid air. B) No seized motors in mid air. F) You can ride in way more places that you can't on a motor scooter. They're making more and more sense to me the more I hear certain stories.

Forgot to note that it costs 10 grand:D