• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:43:25 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Binaural Audio?

Started by CSchmied986, November 30, 2018, 07:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSchmied986

I've recently stumbled across Binaural Audio, and I can't believe it's not more popular! It's like VR for your ears!!! Any thoughts on adding this technology to MXB? Here is a video for those who have never experienced how much better it sounds.ONLY WORKS WITH HEADPHONES!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnzIIhLNHqg

HornetMaX

As far as I know, it's already in MXB. MXB (and GPB, KRP, WRS) all have openAL that renders the sound in the 3d space according to the position of each sound source and the position/orientation of the "ears".

Side note: if you have a system that does its own virtualization (e.g. someting like the Sennheiser GSX 1000, or headphones with their USB thingy) then that's not optiomal: MXB will see what windows say, typically that you have a 5.1 or 7.1 system, even when headphones are connected. So MXB will output sound accordingly and your device will "transform the 5/7.1 sound to headphone stereo (binaural). In general, the Sennheiser stuff does a good job, but the whole path is a bit useless, it would be better top MXB to output directly to the headphones.

Creative soundcard may be a little better, as they provide their own implementation of openAL and may take advantage of that (but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure they avoid the 5.1 -> headphones conversion step).

A while ago I did some test using OpenALSoft: it's a (free) software implementation of openAL that also allow to use differet HRTF. it worked fine after some tweaking, out of memory you have to drop the openALsoft dll and some config files in the right place and then you're set.

P.S.
I have both a creative soundcard and the Sennheiser GSX 1200 pro :)