• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:10:00 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

AMD vs Nvidia GPUs/OpenGL/FPS

Started by rovertnamrod, December 29, 2018, 05:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rovertnamrod

I'm planning on getting a new graphics card to play this game, along with Assetto Corsa and the new Skater XL game.  The AMD rx 580 is what I would like to get. 

1.  Is OpenGL a problem for AMD cards and does this game have any issues with AMD cards?
2.  In general, do Nvidia cards perform better than AMD cards with this game, or does it not matter?
3.  What are typical Frames Per Second rates people get in this game with typical mid range gpus? (like gtx 1050 ti, gtx 1060, rx 480, rx 570, rx 580, etc...)

I am trying to find out how the rx 580 will perform in this game, as I also want to get a 144 hz freesync monitor to go along with it. 

Asdrael

This game uses OpenGL. AMD is simply terrible with OpenGL. MXB isn't that demanding, but my rx580 is not having the best of times with it (60-120fps with high settings depending on track).

I can never recommend building a computer just for a game, but currently if MXB is one of your most played game, go with Nvidia. A 1060 will perform similarly to a rx580 everywhere else, and better in OpenGL. (Get the 6gb one though not the 3gb).
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

CSchmied986

I bought an AMD 8GB card and it was terrible with MXB and other programs like Blender etc. I took it back and got a GTX1070 (also 8GB) and it was a huge difference.

rovertnamrod

December 29, 2018, 10:04:56 PM #3 Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:30:54 PM by rovertnamrod
Thank you for your responses.  This makes me consider not buying an AMD card.  However, isn't 60-120 fps perfectly fine, which is what a rx 580 will do in this game?  In comparison, how does a gtx 1060 do in this game? 

The whole reason I wanted to get an AMD card is to utilize a freesync monitor with it.  I guess I could just get a gtx 1050ti or 1060 and use my slow 60hz monitor.  I could get a g-sync monitor for a nvidia card, but the prices are ridiculous so for me, its either get an AMD card along with a freesync monitor or get nvidia card and keep using my slow monitor.

Asdrael

The fluctuations in the FPS are really annoying. But quite frankly, it's really a very subjective matter. Some people simply cannot play under 120fps, some can't live without a 144 freesync, some are like "30fps is fine".

You got a point that Freesync > g-sync in terms of price. But quite frankly, I don't see the point in this when you have a good rig. If I were you (and if I had to redo my build today), I would go Nvidia and a regular 144hz monitor with very low input lag, such as the one I have (BenQ XL2411Z). Input lag is really a killer for me, and I really noticed when I went from 40ms or so to less than 10ms.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

GDUBMX

Quote from: rovertnamrod on December 29, 2018, 10:04:56 PM
Thank you for your responses.  This makes me consider not buying an AMD card.  However, isn't 60-120 fps perfectly fine, which is what a rx 580 will do in this game?  In comparison, how does a gtx 1060 do in this game? 

The whole reason I wanted to get an AMD card is to utilize a freesync monitor with it.  I guess I could just get a gtx 1050ti or 1060 and use my slow 60hz monitor.  I could get a g-sync monitor for a nvidia card, but the prices are ridiculous so for me, its either get an AMD card along with a freesync monitor or get nvidia card and keep using my slow monitor.

i used to run a 1060 6gb, great card. i have the 1070ti now
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

rovertnamrod

Yo GDUB, I've watched a lot of your youtube videos with this game and it's what made me buy the game.

What were your framerates like in this game using the gtx 1060?  1070ti?

Do you have a g-sync monitor or have you ever used one?

GDUBMX

Thats great to hear, thanks!

I used that card from around July 2016 to December 2017 and it recorded and ran mx bikes around 160fps uncapped at full settings. I have to run vsync though on  all my games cus they ideally tear.

The 1070ti performs exactly the same on mx bikes.The 1060 6gb took everything thrown at it in mx bikes and never struggled. I think it's more than enough for this game

rovertnamrod

I actually think I'm gonna go with a Nvidia card and not worry about the adaptive sync stuff.  With Nvidia cards there is fastsync, which I'll be able to utilize at 160fps. 

GDUB, instead of vsync have you ever tried fastsync?

I'm thinking about getting this gtx 1060 that costs $199 https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814500454?ignorebbr=true&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile-_-pla-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-N82E16814500454&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsZbakcTI3wIVAY7ICh3xgwg9EAQYASABEgJNGPD_Bw

Or I could wait for the gtx 1160 to come out. 

PizzaChet

1.  Is OpenGL a problem for AMD cards and does this game have any issues with AMD cards?

YES: AMD had very poor GL implementation 5 or more years ago when I was MXS only(maybe just for the GL version MXS needed?) MX Sim is still GL only. No probs with MXB.

2.  In general, do Nvidia cards perform better than AMD cards with this game, or does it not matter?

Not sure. Online theres a lot of tests charts of comparisons of the two brands.

3.  What are typical Frames Per Second rates people get in this game with typical mid range gpus? (like gtx 1050 ti, gtx 1060, rx 480, rx 570, rx 580, etc...)

That's a loaded question with many possible answers revolving around what kind of build you have.

Plus, the Catalyst app sucked, was buggy and a resource hog. I couldn't wait to scrub my machine free of AMD crap.

Just my tainted, bitter 2 cents on that lol.
Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

LastFriday

I run a 1050 2gb. I really need to upgrade lol but I run maxed settings except anti aliasing at x8 instead of x16 and my game is smooth except some times on the replay camera.

rovertnamrod

Well right now as of 02/09/2019 I haven't got a gpu yet.  But now the RX 570 is only $99 for 4gb and $119 for 8gb, so I'm seriously considering it.

4gb https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-GDDR5-DVI-D-Graphics/dp/B07MCDNQX2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1549723801&sr=1-2&keywords=rx+570

8gb https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-GDDR5-DVI-D-Graphics/dp/B07MJLZXTH/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1549723801&sr=1-3&keywords=rx+570 

I don't think it is freesync capable, but for $99 I think it's a great deal and will hold me over for a while until I get a better card.

For MX-Bikes, is 4gb of VRAM enough or should I go with the 8gb card?

GDUBMX

Defo a 8gb mate, at least you have some extra for other games. Amd have been notoriously crap with open gl games (mx bikes) nvidia would be a smarter choice to be honest. However... Piboso is working on amd drivers

bassit

I have a 1060 3gb card and i have no issues running mx bikes, it also works fine with mx bikes in VR and every other game i have tried it with.

For the lesser rx 570 i'd say get the 8gb card, but i agree with gdub an nvidia card would be the smarter choice.

Asdrael

With nVidia opening itself to other sync'ed monitors options, there is currently very little reasons to buy AMD if you play OpenGL games. Just go with a 1060 6gb.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord