• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:11:23 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Track editing

Started by pulse, January 31, 2014, 02:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al167

im really excited about making tracks, models for this game!. cant wait!

GDUBMX

Nice to see you al. Looking forward to seeing your tracks on here mate.
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

JamieT

So just to be clear, when the first public Alpha is released, we'll be able to create our own tracks?  The game will have support for importing our own heightmaps, terrain textures, 3d models into the game?  We will have to create these in other programs, and then have to convert them into a format that the game can read?

If so, that is great!  That is all you need!  Creating an in-game editor would be a waste of time...  There are plenty of programs out there already, which do the job perfectly.

PiBoSo

Quote from: JamieT on February 03, 2014, 03:06:55 PM
So just to be clear, when the first public Alpha is released, we'll be able to create our own tracks?  The game will have support for importing our own heightmaps, terrain textures, 3d models into the game?  We will have to create these in other programs, and then have to convert them into a format that the game can read?

If so, that is great!  That is all you need!  Creating an in-game editor would be a waste of time...  There are plenty of programs out there already, which do the job perfectly.

Actually, the plan is to release tools before the first release, to hopefully have feedback from the community.

JamieT

Excellent!  Good to hear that track creators can get a little head start before the first release!

Which resolutions of height maps will the tracks handle?  I saw a mention of 2049 x 2049 in another post.  Will there be support for other sizes such as 1025x1025?  Or maybe even non-square terrains, such as 2049 x 1025?

How many different terrain textures will be supported?

File encryption... Will there be any protection for user-created track files?

Ruubs

Pib or Snappe, could you please tell me a bit more about addings objects to a track? I saw a post somewhere that it's within a text document, but wouldn't it be very difficult to get all the objects on the right places?
I'm thinking of making a sort of GNCC track, with a forest. But if I can't get all the tree's around the track, exactly where I want them, then it's a pretty big problem for me.

AWood

Jamie please don't even start on file encryption. It's totally unnecessary. Just make a track and realease it. You don't need to worry about them getting ripped. That's what ruined MXS was people whining about their content not being safe.

JamieT

Quote from: AWood on February 03, 2014, 04:23:43 PM
Jamie please don't even start on file encryption. It's totally unnecessary. Just make a track and realease it. You don't need to worry about them getting ripped. That's what ruined MXS was people whining about their content not being safe.

If the files are encrypted - then yes, I wouldn't need to worry. :)  I don't understand how it ruined MXS?  If you're an honest person that doesn't plan on ripping things, then it's no skin off your nose.  The only people that would whine about file encryption would be the rippers...

AWood

Quote from: JamieT on February 03, 2014, 05:01:39 PM
Quote from: AWood on February 03, 2014, 04:23:43 PM

If the files are encrypted - then yes, I wouldn't need to worry. :)  I don't understand how it ruined MXS?  If you're an honest person that doesn't plan on ripping things, then it's no skin off your nose.  The only people that would whine about file encryption would be the rippers...
No. It's more useless work for me as a creator. And more work for piboso. Just release your shit for the good of the community. scrams and private releases ruined it because before there were only public releases and ripping wasn't a thing.

showtimemx

February 03, 2014, 06:07:12 PM #54 Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:10:47 PM by showtimemx
Quote from: MX181 on February 03, 2014, 01:09:41 AM
Quote from: PiBoSo on February 02, 2014, 11:33:06 PM
Quote from: AWood on February 02, 2014, 10:59:42 PM
Quote from: PiBoSo on February 02, 2014, 10:57:15 PM
Quote from: MX181 on February 02, 2014, 10:52:53 PM
Just to be sure...............
You said there was going to be an ingame editor right?

No editor. Neither ingame nor external.
There are tools to:
a) export meshes
b) convert text files, bitmaps and meshes to a format the engine can read
c) view the track
d) edit additional data ( race data, cameras, marshals, ... )

So placing billboards and models will be done at which one of those steps?

Between A and B, editing a text file.

Just a general observation pib. If something is hard, less people will try to learn how to do it, and with even less people achieving how to do it. The ingame track editor is easy as you dont need any other programs and everyone can do it. This also helps grow the community as more people will give it a go with more people achieving success. i for one would highly recommend a ingame editor. i know how much and if it will be a lot of extra work, but it will help grow a far bigger and better community.

While I agree that less people will try to learn, that isn't always a bad thing.  (all the mxs junk that came through)  Not sure if you were around during the Motocross Madness 1 days but it was not easy to create a track and what happened is those that were dedicated to learning the process spent time and got it down and when they did for the most part you got some amazing tracks.  when they released motocross madness 2 (same with mx vs atv series) it had a track editor and all of a sudden you had to look through hundreds of crap tracks on mcmfactory.com to find good ones, because any 10yr old with a keyboard could export a track and upload it.

Don't get me wrong I love in game editors if they are done correctly, MX vs Atv had a pretty darn good editor.  MXS editor is not user friendly and is a pain because the lack of a 3D view.  The plus side to having an in game editor is that like mx vs atv and mxs you are allowed to test the track quickly in game without having to run a full export and save a bunch of files test it then go back and fourth.

This brings me to my first question for PiBoSo:
-will we have to export our height map and all files, open the game test the track, exit the game, edit the track in photoshop or program of choice, re-save all files go back in to game and test again, rinse and repeat?
-lastly what about 3D model placement for tracks will it be done using coordinates in a text file?  or will we be able to use 3D Studio Max to designate object placement and run a export script?
-One more question and then I promise ill quit (I become like a kid again with new Motocross Games and tend to get even more excited with being able to make stuff for the game)
    Is there anyway we can get an early template for the rider?  like a .tga, .bmp, .psd  and possibly the 3d model to use for a preview?
after re-reading the questions forum this above question^^^ was answered as you said paints will be released.

Thanks for your effort PiBoSo and I know myself along with others will be anxiously awaiting a release.

JamieT

Quote from: AWood on February 03, 2014, 05:09:53 PM
No. It's more useless work for me as a creator. And more work for piboso. Just release your shit for the good of the community. scrams and private releases ruined it because before there were only public releases and ripping wasn't a thing.

It's hardly "work"...  As a creator, you just run the file through an encrytion process, which takes seconds.  As for Piboso, I'm not familiar with his other games, but if he already has encryption in place, then job done.  If not, then I'll get over it.  I just want to be aware of the kind of protection my work will have.

I don't understand how ripping didn't exist before encryption?  I define ripping as another word for plagarism.  MXS has only had encrypted files (.scram) for the past 6 months or so... maybe less.  I saw plenty of posts about ripping on MXS forums way before that.  An encrypted file can still be used the way they were designed for the good of the community, so no problem there.

I think the main problem with MXS you're talking about is the skinning of bike models?  It seems that people are creating great bike models, but aren't even willing to release a wireframe for the bike.  Which I do find pretty ridiculous, and a little selfish.  Other than that, I think it's pretty reasonable that if you wanted to keep your height map (for example) protected, then why not?  If you spend countless hours working on something, why not protect it from plagarism?

Snappe

Quote from: Sandbiter on February 03, 2014, 04:21:34 PM
Pib or Snappe, could you please tell me a bit more about addings objects to a track? I saw a post somewhere that it's within a text document, but wouldn't it be very difficult to get all the objects on the right places?
I'm thinking of making a sort of GNCC track, with a forest. But if I can't get all the tree's around the track, exactly where I want them, then it's a pretty big problem for me.

No, you won't have to place all objects using only a text file, that would be a nightmare! Eventually we aim to have an editor to place obects, but for first release it will probably involve a 3d app. We're still working out the best way to go about it.

AWood

Because I don't care. If somebody takes my work then I'm sure I did a good job. I just remember the day when people released every model public all the old models in sim. It wasn't until Andy's KX and attackers Suzuki that people wanted to hide them.

Anyways, if I release a track it's for the good of the community I want them to use everything in it if they want.

Snappe

AWood, why are you so against encryption? If you want to distribute your heightmaps models and textures, why not just make them available to download seperately? It's understandable that some people might want to have their work protected.

Ruubs

Quote from: Snappe on February 03, 2014, 06:17:17 PM
Quote from: Sandbiter on February 03, 2014, 04:21:34 PM

No, you won't have to place all objects using only a text file, that would be a nightmare! Eventually we aim to have an editor to place obects, but for first release it will probably involve a 3d app. We're still working out the best way to go about it.
Thanks for the fast reply! ;)