• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:29:33 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Track editing

Started by pulse, January 31, 2014, 02:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruubs

February 08, 2014, 07:18:52 PM #75 Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:20:39 PM by Sandbiter
I've tried to make some basic textures for my SX track today, nothing special. The dispmap is made with the jumptemplate which got released for Mx-Sim (the one Checkerz made). The track layout is completly my own, and so are the textures.
I made this track for MX-Sim awhile back, but lost my track folder. I found my dispmap back tho.
I thought this would be a great supercross track for this game (even though we don't know the physics yet). It's a simple fast supercross track, and it is a lot of fun.
Here is a video of me riding it in Mx-Sim.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHfOcPCaj94

Here is a render I made in 3ds max, to see how the textures look with a normal map on them, and an image of the layout in 2d.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/31/pcrr.png
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/560/4tiv.png

Ruubs

I think I already know the answer. But are we able to create masive tracks, like "L'enduropale du touquet"?
If you don't know what that is: It is a event which is once per year, it's a track on a beach and one lap is around 15 minutes. The soil is really soft, so there will form a lot of ruts in the terrain. It is a 3 hour race.

bearded4glory

Quote from: Sandbiter on February 08, 2014, 09:47:35 PM
I think I already know the answer. But are we able to create masive tracks, like "L'enduropale du touquet"?
If you don't know what that is: It is a event which is once per year, it's a track on a beach and one lap is around 15 minutes. The soil is really soft, so there will form a lot of ruts in the terrain. It is a 3 hour race.

He said that the maximum practical size for a heightmap is probably 2049 so IDK how well something that big would work out.

Ruubs

Quote from: bearded4glory on February 08, 2014, 10:06:43 PM

He said that the maximum practical size for a heightmap is probably 2049 so IDK how well something that big would work out.
Hmm, OK. Aren't we able to size the terrain itself? I mean, a heightmap of 2049 and then sizing the terrain bigger, but still keeping the 2049 heightmap? It's hard to explain, but that is posible in Mx Simulator, maybe someone can help me out explaining?  :-[

DD

With a 2049 x 2049 map you can still set the scale to what you want.

Motoboss

Terrain scale ? It looked like it was adjustable from what he showed us...
Appreciate my hard work? Buy me a beer or at least take the time to like my Facebook page...Hit the button below
https://www.paypal.me/Motoboss
Check out my Facebook Page

Ruubs

Quote from: DD on February 08, 2014, 10:40:22 PM
With a 2049 x 2049 map you can still set the scale to what you want.
That's what I mean. Thanks!  ;D

pulse

good programs to edit hightmaps are
ES-earth sculptor
PS
3ds
mudbox maya
level3dt???

I say learn one and stick to it, dont rely on a ingame editor, if you dont want to learn third party programs I say stick to mxsim.

heres a screen of one of my projects in ES

AWood

I think your style tracks would fit best with different physics than sim, I think they'd play good in this game. Idk why but just statng my honest opinion I've never liked any of your tracks at least the way they ride in sim. Nothing looks wrong but I think it's just the shape of your jumps or something. He'll they look like they'd ride great in say reflex or something. Can't wait to try in this game though :)

Barrington314

Some of the best tracks in MXsim have been made with the in game editor. Its also more precise and you can build and test ride it with out the hassle.
So Ill be pretty disappointed to not have an ingame editor with this game.

MX ONLINE SAM

Quote from: giopanda on February 08, 2014, 01:09:40 AM
oh yes piboso that's just great!
can't wait to release thunder valley and see how the bike performs in the mile high track! :D

can't wait to still play on your tracks Gio  ;)

MX181

Quote from: Barrington314 on February 09, 2014, 05:05:02 AM
Some of the best tracks in MXsim have been made with the in game editor. Its also more precise and you can build and test ride it with out the hassle.
So Ill be pretty disappointed to not have an ingame editor with this game.

totally agree the mx sim ingame editor kicked ass, is just about best thing in game

Live by the YOLO - UID #2

giopanda

I think I already know the answer. But are we able to create masive tracks?

yes you can, as piboso explained in one of the first posts, there are a few parameters to set the terrain scale and resolution:

samples_x = 2049
samples_z = 2049

^ this is the size of the heightmap, as long as it is power of 2 + 1 is fine. if your pc can handle it you could work on a 16385x16385 pixels wide heighmap.

size_x = 500
size_z = 500

^ here you set the scale of the terrain. so in this example the 2049x2049 pixel heightmap is scaled as 500x500 meters. resolution is 4.098 px/m
you want a huge terrain? just add a zero at the end.
be aware that of course you will have a lot less details, 5000x5000 m on a 2049x2049 px heightmap means 0.4098 px/m

as far as the ingame editor vs 3rd party, there's no need to start a fight, it's just a matter of taste.
i've never understand the mxsimulator editor, it is just too damn complicated and absolutely no user friendly, but i know that for many it's the best way to build tracks.

Ruubs

Quote from: giopanda on February 09, 2014, 10:08:44 AM
I think I already know the answer. But are we able to create masive tracks?

yes you can, as piboso explained in one of the first posts, there are a few parameters to set the terrain scale and resolution:

samples_x = 2049
samples_z = 2049

^ this is the size of the heightmap, as long as it is power of 2 + 1 is fine. if your pc can handle it you could work on a 16385x16385 pixels wide heighmap.

size_x = 500
size_z = 500

^ here you set the scale of the terrain. so in this example the 2049x2049 pixel heightmap is scaled as 500x500 meters. resolution is 4.098 px/m
you want a huge terrain? just add a zero at the end.
be aware that of course you will have a lot less details, 5000x5000 m on a 2049x2049 px heightmap means 0.4098 px/m

as far as the ingame editor vs 3rd party, there's no need to start a fight, it's just a matter of taste.
i've never understand the mxsimulator editor, it is just too damn complicated and absolutely no user friendly, but i know that for many it's the best way to build tracks.
Thanks for the answer!

MX181

i was thinking and for you guys who liked the mx simulator ingame editor. i wonder if it will be possible to make it in there and convert it over or if it is going to be to big of a crazy differance from the two game like say MVA to MXS was

Live by the YOLO - UID #2