• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:31:22 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Track Objects - duplicate along path [Blender]

Started by BeefLilly247, June 21, 2020, 09:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeefLilly247

I'm having an issue with duplicating these track stakes along a curve in Blender. The issue is the following:
- The objects along the array begin rotate as the track progresses. (I have no rotation applied to the object that would make it transform this way)
I believe it is the projected curve on the surface that is causing the small rotation of the objects.

Any ideas?

The images attached show the following:
  • perfectly upright stakes following the start of the path
  • a not so upright stake that is in towards the middle of my track
  • screen grab of the rotation that takes place in the array

Resolute Kraken

I've had this issue with some objects on curves as well.  In some cases when there are a lot of curves and it is a long run.  There are a couple of ways to try to fix it that I know of. 

1. You can adjust points on the curve before applying it - mess with some points and see how it affects the rotation of "downstream" objects in the array.
2. After all the modifiers are applied, edit the object that was in the array and find the ones that are rotated strangely - select all the vertices in that object that specific object and then rotate to the correct position how you want.  You many need to change the drop-down for the coordinate system to use local or normals - forget what I used before.
3. Use shorter and more bezier curves and objects so that the length and number of curves don't affect objects down stream.

Maybe some other people have other strategies for this.

BeefLilly247

Quote from: Resolute Kraken on June 21, 2020, 09:19:07 PMI've had this issue with some objects on curves as well.  In some cases when there are a lot of curves and it is a long run.  There are a couple of ways to try to fix it that I know of. 

1. You can adjust points on the curve before applying it - mess with some points and see how it affects the rotation of "downstream" objects in the array.
2. After all the modifiers are applied, edit the object that was in the array and find the ones that are rotated strangely - select all the vertices in that object that specific object and then rotate to the correct position how you want.  You many need to change the drop-down for the coordinate system to use local or normals - forget what I used before.
3. Use shorter and more bezier curves and objects so that the length and number of curves don't affect objects down stream.

Maybe some other people have other strategies for this.

I actually just solved my issue after figuring out what question needed to be asked.
in the Object Data Properties for the curve, set Twist Method to Z-Up. Fixes the rotation issue entirely! I hope this helps!

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Z up definitely fixes the side to side rotation issue but unfortunately it doesn't change the rotation on the axis in line with the path. This isn't normally a problem but on tracks with a lot of elevation fences can look weird.

I've always done track markers by hand, they're a pain to do that way but after doing a path they almost always need adjusting individually anyway.

Good luck!

BeefLilly247

Yeah after all this trial and error of trying to get it to work, I'm gonna do it manually. haha But I do enjoy starting out with the array along the curve then separating them for easy manipulation. Gives me a good starting point.

By the way, I appreciate the track creation tutorial series you made. It helped a ton! So, thanks for that!