• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:58:02 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

How to Start a Dedicated Server

Started by Alliance MX, August 23, 2020, 02:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alliance MX

August 23, 2020, 02:57:47 AM Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 12:58:21 AM by Alliance MX
Hi Friends,
I purchased the game through Steam - MX Bikes version beta 14e.
I would like to know the procedure to start a dedicated server.
Please do not link me to a forum thread; I would like a step by step procedure to get a dedicated server up and running for the community.  I have the default Steam install path, files and directory structure, so please use this in your instructions.  If I need to create some files (maybe a config.ini or server.ini) that did not come with the default Steam install please mention this and the exact location/path and folder they need to be placed in.
Thank you for your help and expertise.

Kind regards

teeds

August 23, 2020, 11:41:08 AM #1 Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:53:20 AM by teeds
Here's a quick rundown, and I am going to use links to forum threads so brace yourself  ;D

Download the full game from this site http://www.mx-bikes.com/?page=downloads You can't run a dedi server and play with just the Steam version.

Once installed (no key needed by the way running dedi's is free), you'll need to edit the new shortcut created by the installation of the game as per this info - http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=197.0 You'll need to decide the port you'll use (and open this up on your firewall/router) and choose the name for your config file to put in the shortcut as illustrated.

Then install the mods you want to run into the dedi servers bikes and tracks folders (no need for any paints server side).

Lastly create a text file, place it in the dedi server installation folder (the place where the mxbikes.exe file is) and rename it to what you set in the dedi shortcut also making sure the file extension is changed from .txt to .ini. Then select the code from the link above and paste it all into that .ini file. You then edit this text to get the server to run with the settings etc you like.

The game shortcut should now launch a dedi server with your settings. If you get other settings check your file names etc as if they're wrong the server will still run but  fall back to default settings.
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

iNsane

If you arrived to the point where it's needed to set up the .ini file, check out the tool I've made to make things easier :)

https://mxb-mods.com/mx-bikes-server-configurator

🌐 MX Bikes custom content
MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

Alliance MX

August 23, 2020, 06:11:59 PM #3 Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 06:40:45 PM by Alliance MX
Thanks teeds for a very informative post.  I'll work my way through your outline and see if I can get a DS working.
I notice your comment in the second line stating that I cannot run a DS and join the DS with just the steam version.  So if I understand you correctly I need to visit the link you have provided, download the "DEMO" version of MX Bikes and use the demo version to run the "DS"; then I should use the "STEAM VERSION" MX Bikes to join the DS as it should be listed in the matchmaker once I click the race button?  By the way, I don't see any links to the forum but I do see two (2) links to the download page. 
Thanks again teeds.

Hi iNsane | WW - thank you so much for your post and the link to your tool.  I will certainly download it, give it a go and of course give you a thumbs up.

Thanks friends for all your help and expertise.
Kind regards.

teeds

Quote from: Alliance MX on August 23, 2020, 06:11:59 PMSo if I understand you correctly I need to visit the link you have provided, download the "DEMO" version of MX Bikes and use the demo version to run the "DS"; then I should use the "STEAM VERSION" MX Bikes to join the DS as it should be listed in the matchmaker once I click the race button?

Correct.

Quote from: Alliance MX on August 23, 2020, 06:11:59 PMBy the way, I don't see any links to the forum but I do see two (2) links to the download page.

Spotted thanks, corrected.
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba