• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:05:10 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

MX Bikes beta2

Started by PiBoSo, November 23, 2014, 06:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phathry25

It's wonderful in GP Bikes, but it's not right for jumping.  Sure it would be great to be able to see up a steep hill, but it would be 10x greater to have a stable camera as I went over a jump.  I will never get used to the camera bobbing up and down as I go over a triple.

I know this only weakens my argument, but it really is right in that other motocross simulation game.  And even if you don't like the default camera setup it's adjustable!  I believe it follows the center of the bike.  It doesn't move with the pitch or roll, and you can choose weather or not to have it move with the yaw.  Not that you didn't already know all that.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Phathry25 on November 26, 2014, 02:32:54 AM
It's wonderful in GP Bikes, but it's not right for jumping.  Sure it would be great to be able to see up a steep hill, but it would be 10x greater to have a stable camera as I went over a jump.  I will never get used to the camera bobbing up and down as I go over a triple.

I know this only weakens my argument, but it really is right in that other motocross simulation game.  And even if you don't like the default camera setup it's adjustable!  I believe it follows the center of the bike.  It doesn't move with the pitch or roll, and you can choose weather or not to have it move with the yaw.  Not that you didn't already know all that.

The 3rd person camera was not made to point to the horizon to avoid problems going up and down hill.
However, something can actually be done for jumps. Stay tuned.
How would you make the camera adjustable?
No, I didn't know all of that. I don't play games, and Snappe only uses the onboard camera.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: PiBoSo on November 26, 2014, 10:43:37 AM

:D

GDUBMX

Quote from: TheFatController on November 26, 2014, 10:46:00 AM

Yes! Thanks piboso, the jump thing has def been a factor with the 3rd person.

Any news on snappes sx track? Seriously Need a major influx right now of tracks, its such a long slow process creating one i can't pile that kinda time into it right now.

Also piboso can anything be done in beta 2.1 with the rear end when cornering, it might be me just being crap but I feel that the rear end is not loose enough, it tracks the front end to much I think. And has anyone else noticed the cornering when turning on a sloped/banked turn? The camera goes weird and  it feels unnatural. Also I'm finding it impossible to turn on the spot, I can't come up on an inside and just brake,slide,gas out like in real life,seems I still need a big turning circle to negotiate the tighter turns. This is all constructive observations I've made piboso and please do not be offended, I love your work and still feel like I haven't paidyiu enough for the game! Cheers
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

PiBoSo

Quote from: gdubmx on November 26, 2014, 11:07:42 AM
Quote from: TheFatController on November 26, 2014, 10:46:00 AM

Also piboso can anything be done in beta 2.1 with the rear end when cornering, it might be me just being crap but I feel that the rear end is not loose enough, it tracks the front end to much I think. And has anyone else noticed the cornering when turning on a sloped/banked turn? The camera goes weird and  it feels unnatural. Also I'm finding it impossible to turn on the spot, I can't come up on an inside and just brake,slide,gas out like in real life,seems I still need a big turning circle to negotiate the tighter turns. This is all constructive observations I've made piboso and please do not be offended, I love your work and still feel like I haven't paidyiu enough for the game! Cheers

No offense.
Steering on a slope and at low speeds are known problems, but not easy to fix.

al167

[/quote]
[/quote]

No offense.
Steering on a slope and at low speeds are known problems, but not easy to fix.
[/quote]
I agree that the rear needs to be looser, could it simply be a centre of mass for the bike or rider?, it seems as if it where further forwards it may solve this. or it could even just a traction setting issue(too much)
Also I'm using hardcore mode 2 steering, could we have some more settings, like steering force, steering damping. Steering speed
Cheers for the hard work pibosoteam

MotoRogers499

I know exactly why you cant slide the rear end out at all without crashing. You can slide it out, but not controllable at all. That is the problem, you just crash. Everyone agrees? mmk good.

PiBoSo, I hope you dont mind us comparing your game to Mx Simulator. I know it must kind of get old, but its really the only other game we can compare it too.

MXS players: If youve ever played with your restricted lock angle in your advanced stability, you will know it is the angle in which your steering locks up. Its used to prevent handlebar twitches when you loose traction. You want it to apply slightly after you loose traction in front wheel, of course that depends on traction of track. But yeah, lower the angle is, the faster the wheel locks up when you are turning. So it will lock up before you even lean down far enough to slide. This is bad, and i think its what is kinda happening in MXB.

In MXB, it seems like as soon as you get into the smallest slide or loose traction of front wheel, it locks up. Th front wheel just completely locks up.

Phathry25

Quote from: Phathry25 on November 26, 2014, 02:32:54 AM

The 3rd person camera was not made to point to the horizon to avoid problems going up and down hill.
How would you make the camera adjustable?
No, I didn't know all of that. I don't play games, and Snappe only uses the onboard camera.

Well. Having the option to point to the horizon would be nice IMO.  I totally understand why it isn't locked to the horizon, but the way it moves over jumps now is the worse of the two evils. 

Being able to lock the camera to the yaw of the bike would be excellent.   Once again I understand the logic behind having the bike move separate from the camera too. Here's why I prefer to have it locked, and this is mainly a problem I have experienced in GP Bikes, but will apply here too once you get more issues ironed out. Anyways. When I play I am looking ahead of the bike, and just monitoring the bike out of the bottom of my eye, enough to get the job done, but not enough to notice a small slide until it's already a big slide and not catchable. When the camera is locked to the yaw of the bike you notice that small slide quickly because where you're looking suddenly changes and you realize automatically that you are no longer pointing in the right direction.

Being able to adjust FOV in 3rd person would be great or at least be able to move the camera back.  As far as I can tell FOV is only for first person right now. Adjusting the height of the camera would be useful as well.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

You know I am an advocate of the third person camera changing, but I definitely don't think it is letting the game down in any way.. In fact I don't think I could ride with the camera attached to the bike in that way.

Unfortunately I see the point of the camera being a lot of work to get right. My ideal third person camera would be exactly as is, it would just follow the curve of the air rather than the ground when jumping, but I'm sure this is no easy task..

On a side note - @PiBoSo - After playing beta 2 for a couple of days now I've noticed that the bike doesn't get the same air from jumps anymore, has something changed to enable us to make steeper take offs? possibly with sx in mind? I can't make half the jumps on the track I'm working on now whereas in beta 1 - I was over shooting them sometimes.. Could you just give us a quick rundown on what has changed there? (just out of curiosity more than anything!)

Thanks.

ChrisK

maybe u ride the 250 with less power :D

GDUBMX

November 26, 2014, 09:55:09 PM #55 Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:03:03 PM by gdubmx
@Fats, didnt he mention aerodynamic drag? maybe thats playing a part? just a guess mind, def having way way more fun with this patch!! :)

Here's a slightly crapper version of Fat's feature vid this week lol..

https://www.youtube.com/v/23gb9f4GZeo
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: ChrisK on November 26, 2014, 09:28:02 PM
maybe u ride the 250 with less power :D

Haha.. yeah - I made that mistake the first couple of hours!

Quote from: gdubmx on November 26, 2014, 09:55:09 PM
@Fats, didnt he mention aerodynamic drag? maybe thats playing a part? just a guess mind, def having way way more fun with this patch!! :)

Maybe, or it could be my heightmap's too rough.. But yeh, definitely way more fun!

PiBoSo

November 26, 2014, 10:20:12 PM #57 Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:23:31 PM by PiBoSo
Quote from: TheFatController on November 26, 2014, 09:22:26 PM
Unfortunately I see the point of the camera being a lot of work to get right. My ideal third person camera would be exactly as is, it would just follow the curve of the air rather than the ground when jumping, but I'm sure this is no easy task..

Actually, this has been already done: camera is now linked to the horizon during jumps.
The change will be integrated in Beta3.

onlyonetone

Nice!

Also Fat and gdub, can you explain how you all are getting those whips? I can't even get close. Been trying for hours. ha