• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:08:09 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Client Port

Started by PiBoSo, January 01, 2021, 10:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

January 01, 2021, 10:51:42 PM Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:57:32 PM by PiBoSo
It is possible to change the port used when connecting to a server, using the "-clientport" launch parameter:
mxbikes.exe -clientport (port)
For example:
mxbikes.exe -clientport 54211
The default port is 54210

This option can be useful, for example, when multiple PCs on a local network need to connect to the same server.

teeds

Interesting Pibs but how does this work? If a server is running on port 54210 how does a client connect with a port such as 54211 set?
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

PiBoSo

Quote from: teeds on January 03, 2021, 04:20:48 PMInteresting Pibs but how does this work? If a server is running on port 54210 how does a client connect with a port such as 54211 set?

Client and server port don't have to match.

teeds

Good to know, thanks for the info and feature.

tom

i hope someone can help me  :-\
i cant log into ANY servers just says "connection timeout"
how do i set up or change rather this "port" i have no clue at all.
I hope that sorts my issue
cheers  :)

teeds

This option is really only for when 2 people want to play MXB on the same connection, but can't hurt to try. Just add as above to your MXBikes shortcut (I'll assume it works for Steam users too but you might need to add the extra line in the games Steam properties instead https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1040-JWMT-2947).

If that doesn't work you could try changing your DNS settings on your router to the Google ones or try a VPN.

Russian Mulisha

Quote from: tom on February 01, 2021, 12:30:28 PMi hope someone can help me  :-\
i cant log into ANY servers just says "connection timeout"
how do i set up or change rather this "port" i have no clue at all.
I hope that sorts my issue
cheers  :)

Hey! did you manage to connect to a multiplayer game?

tom

Quote from: teeds on February 02, 2021, 10:23:41 AMThis option is really only for when 2 people want to play MXB on the same connection, but can't hurt to try. Just add as above to your MXBikes shortcut (I'll assume it works for Steam users too but you might need to add the extra line in the games Steam properties instead https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1040-JWMT-2947).

If that doesn't work you could try changing your DNS settings on your router to the Google ones or try a VPN.

UPDATE i did copy the 2 client codes to the launch options on steam. i have 100% no clue what i am doing but i dont know if thats what did it or not but it seems to be working for now  :D
computers are a confusing thing...

Olsson32

Quote from: tom on February 04, 2021, 03:54:37 PM
Quote from: teeds on February 02, 2021, 10:23:41 AMThis option is really only for when 2 people want to play MXB on the same connection, but can't hurt to try. Just add as above to your MXBikes shortcut (I'll assume it works for Steam users too but you might need to add the extra line in the games Steam properties instead https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1040-JWMT-2947).

UPDATE i did copy the 2 client codes to the launch options on steam. i have 100% no clue what i am doing but i dont know if thats what did it or not but it seems to be working for now  :D
computers are a confusing thing...
Hi, which "2" client codes do you mean? I can only find the one "-clientport 54211" that was posted by PiBoSo.

Thank you :)

teeds

Quote from: Olsson32 on April 06, 2021, 01:24:47 PMHi, which "2" client codes do you mean? I can only find the one "-clientport 54211" that was posted by PiBoSo.

That's the one.

tria001

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 01, 2021, 10:51:42 PMIt is possible to change the port used when connecting to a server, using the "-clientport" launch parameter:
mxbikes.exe -clientport (port)
For example:
mxbikes.exe -clientport 54211
The default port is 54210

This option can be useful, for example, when multiple PCs on a local network need to connect to the same server.

killjoy

Using this command in steam client in the launch options unfortunately did not work for me.

Two computers on same LAN.
1st PC can connect to any server no issue.

2nd PC after clicking on RACE in main menu to see browser, is met with a connection timeout error.

-Tried placing second PC on a VPN, this allowed second PC to see the server browser but still met with connection timeout when attempting to connect to a server that PC 1 is on.

How do other multiplayer games have this figured out?
The only time I've run into issues with this in other games is Minecraft and Halo MCC PC.

teeds

This option should fix your problem without a VPN, are you sure it's set correctly? I can confirm it does work with Steam when set as below -

killjoy

Quote from: teeds on November 19, 2022, 12:08:26 PMThis option should fix your problem without a VPN, are you sure it's set correctly? I can confirm it does work with Steam when set as below -

Yup have it set exactly like this. And no luck. Both computers are plugged into the same ethernet 5 port switch. Not sure if this has something to do with it.

teeds

The switch shouldn't be a problem. Tried it another port and on the same on the other PC involved? Also check to see if that port is being used on the PC you set it on?