• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:53:16 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Rider Reset Taken Out Of Races

Started by WellsMX524, February 21, 2021, 12:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WellsMX524

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this, but there needs to be a different mechanic after crashing other than resetting the rider on the track.  It's really stupid to be racing and then someone crash in front of you, only to have their bikes reset out of thing air in front of you on the track.  It's kind of game breaking.  It's fine for practice/free ride sessions, but we need something else for racing.

teeds

Sounds like you're talking about a short reset. If some one short resets, the bike doesn't move but just goes upright exactly where it fell down, like the rider has got back on it. It shouldn't appear out of no where. Do you have a video of what you describe happening?
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

Ruubs

Quote from: teeds on February 21, 2021, 04:13:26 PMSounds like you're talking about a short reset. If some one short resets, the bike doesn't move but just goes upright exactly where it fell down, like the rider has got back on it. It shouldn't appear out of no where. Do you have a video of what you describe happening?
I was actually thinking about the same thing as Wells some days ago.

Lets say someone crashes in the whoops in front of me. If he doesn't short reset immediately, I can ride over or jump over his bike. Most of the time though, people spam the reset key to reset as soon as possible, which makes the bike stand up straight 'out of thin air' which then makes contact unavoidable.

The current short resets in MXB are way too quick and definitely way quicker than that anyone in real life could get back to his bike. I think a proper solution would be to add a timer before you can reset (both for long and short resets). What I mean by that is that once you fall, you can't reset for the first 5-10 seconds after crashing. Adding this timer would also make people ride more cautiously and realistically, as they'd lose too much time by crashing.

Resolute Kraken

Quote from: Ruubs on February 22, 2021, 01:33:37 AMI was actually thinking about the same thing as Wells some days ago.

Lets say someone crashes in the whoops in front of me. If he doesn't short reset immediately, I can ride over or jump over his bike. Most of the time though, people spam the reset key to reset as soon as possible, which makes the bike stand up straight 'out of thin air' which then makes contact unavoidable.

The current short resets in MXB are way too quick and definitely way quicker than that anyone in real life could get back to his bike. I think a proper solution would be to add a timer before you can reset (both for long and short resets). What I mean by that is that once you fall, you can't reset for the first 5-10 seconds after crashing. Adding this timer would also make people ride more cautiously and realistically, as they'd lose too much time by crashing.

I agree with your thoughts exactly.  Have the bike stand immediately upright on short-reset messes people up all the time.  Like you said, in some cases it is possible to jump over them, but if the bike stands up perpendicular to the way you are travelling then they just become a surprise road block and is not realistic for a simulator at all.

I don't like the way MX Sim does it visually with the rider hanging on to the bars the entire crash, but having some kind of slower animation for short resets would help I think and be more realistic. 

If we are going to continue with this same short reset mechanic with no get-up animation, then I think the reset rider needs no collisions for a certain amount of time.

teeds

Quote from: Ruubs on February 22, 2021, 01:33:37 AM
Quote from: teeds on February 21, 2021, 04:13:26 PMSounds like you're talking about a short reset. If some one short resets, the bike doesn't move but just goes upright exactly where it fell down, like the rider has got back on it. It shouldn't appear out of no where. Do you have a video of what you describe happening?

I agree and it's been suggested ages ago and Pibs didn't seem interested, but it's not going to help the bike standing up from where it landed problem. If you see a bike crash you need to go around it, if you didn't see it, we'll, unlucky, that happens sometimes. But it was suggested that the speed you were going at the time crash of the crash was linked to reset time. If you just low side in a slow corner it should not take long to get up and going again, but if you sky ground it on a fast straight, it should be a longer timer on the reset, basically.

Ruubs

February 22, 2021, 10:35:27 AM #5 Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 03:36:36 PM by Ruubs
Quote from: teeds on February 22, 2021, 10:13:38 AMI agree and it's been suggested ages ago and Pibs didn't seem interested, but it's not going to help the bike standing up from where it landed problem. If you see a bike crash you need to go around it, if you didn't see it, we'll, unlucky, that happens sometimes. But it was suggested that the speed you were going at the time crash of the crash was linked to reset time. If you just low side in a slow corner it should not take long to get up and going again, but if you sky ground it on a fast straight, it should be a longer timer on the reset, basically.

Sometimes it's not possible to avoid a crashed bike if the crashed player crashed right in front of you. If the time to reset took a bit longer, the other players which get to the crash sight later should see the bike from miles away already and be able to move around it. A timer based on the speed at the time of crashing would be a great addition to solve this issue.

There is however still an issue. Let's say player 1 crashed and waits 10 seconds to be able to reset again. After those 10 seconds he still instantly resets out of thin air. After resetting, the player instantly starts riding away and can still cause problems for other players which were trying to avoid the crashed bike. Perhaps the other players were trying to avoid the crashed bike by going in front of it. However, if the other players knew the crashed player would be close to resetting and riding away, they would have chosen to avoid the crashed bike by going behind it so that when the crashed rider resets and rides away they wouldn't collide.

I agree with Reso that there needs to be either an animation of the rider and bike getting up, or make the bike and rider non collidable for a certain amount of time after a reset (although that's not my preferred option).

Resolute Kraken

Quote from: Ruubs on February 22, 2021, 10:35:27 AMThere is however still an issue. Let's say player 1 crashed and waits 10 seconds to be able to reset again. After those 10 seconds he still instantly resets out of thin air. After resetting, the player instantly starts riding away and can still cause problems for other players which were trying to avoid the crashing bike. Perhaps the other players were trying to avoid the crashed bike by going in front of it. However, if the other players knew the crashed player would be close to resetting and riding away, they would have chosen to avoid the crashed bike by going behind it so that when the crashed rider resets and rides away they wouldn't collide.

Yeah, this exactly! You often move to avoid the bike that you saw crash and they spawn and instantly start moving in the direction that you decided to go - because players are have no care for other riders and simply go no matter what.

Yes, you could simply always choose to go to the back of the downed bike so this wouldn't be a problem, but that is not practical in all situations.

Asdrael

Quick fix: have a server-side option to force long-resets.

(hate short resets too)
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

Resolute Kraken

Quote from: Asdrael on February 22, 2021, 09:04:45 PMQuick fix: have a server-side option to force long-resets.

(hate short resets too)

That could work, but the problem is not all tracks implement the off-track mask so you'll just get long-resets spawning people to the centerline in the middle of the track.

teeds

Quote from: Ruubs on February 22, 2021, 10:35:27 AMSometimes it's not possible to avoid a crashed bike if the crashed player crashed right in front of you.

You could be talking about irl there so that's simulated well eh. My only problem is the instant reset every time, the rest seems realistic to me bar some animations.

Asdrael

Quote from: Resolute Kraken on February 22, 2021, 09:16:15 PM
Quote from: Asdrael on February 22, 2021, 09:04:45 PMQuick fix: have a server-side option to force long-resets.

(hate short resets too)

That could work, but the problem is not all tracks implement the off-track mask so you'll just get long-resets spawning people to the centerline in the middle of the track.

When noone is around though, as it requires a few second clear I think. Still a bandaid, but just a toggle option.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

sicknasty454

have not read any posts yet how about when you reset it resets you out of bounds and makes the impact force of hitting yuou a l;il less