• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:43:58 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Boots modding and animations

Started by PiBoSo, February 13, 2014, 06:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

February 13, 2014, 06:32:58 PM Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:01:45 PM by Snappe
It is possible to detach the boots from the rider model to allow modding of the model.
However, there are some technical problems:
1) it is difficult for the engine to attach a rigged model to a pre-existing skeleton
2) it would be difficult for modders to rig the boots

A workaround it to attach static models to the skeleton.
This would allow modding, however there is a drawback: no animations. No gearshift animations, no rear brake animation, no bike push / pull animations.

Do you think that boots model modding is more important than animations?
Do you prefer generic animated boots or static moddable boots?
Please vote!

P.S.
Texture modding will always be possible, with both options.

DD

I voted for option two because I agree that you can make a great looking boot on a generic shaped model with good texture and norms!

Mace-x

i preffer animations also, normal maps it is!  :)

ryanmx25

It would be nice to be able to change boots Ingame but I would prefer animations.

giopanda

nothing a good set of textures and normal maps can't fix!
rider's feet animations FTW!

MXK_cdub85

MxMonster725

It's a simulator so i choose option 2  ::)

ChrisMX#77

Option 2 for sure!!! Dude fuck the boots  ;D

Motoboss

My vote is for animations even though I'm not a modeler .. I would think they would be more important
Appreciate my hard work? Buy me a beer or at least take the time to like my Facebook page...Hit the button below
https://www.paypal.me/Motoboss
Check out my Facebook Page

Maxime9014

Animations, we can make good things with generic model for sure ;)

Clark139

MX181

February 13, 2014, 11:59:52 PM #11 Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:54:55 AM by MX181
Quote from: giopanda on February 13, 2014, 07:12:42 PM
nothing a good set of textures and normal maps can't fix!
rider's feet animations FTW!

This is spot on. As much as everyone wants boot models surely they can't want it more than the animations?

Live by the YOLO - UID #2

Ohagan75

I would love to see the capablity for modelers to have the ability to add their own boots an rig them to your bone structure, however i guess it is up to you on what you do. I just feel with the engine having the capabilites it does, why limit it to one generic boot shape?

bearded4glory

First, I would like to say that it is nice to give the community the option.  With those two options the choice is clear, animation.  If at some later date there was a way to be able to have both that would be great but I think it is fine to have a generic boot and work of it, as you have pointed out it is not really that noticeable from a distance.

Ohagan75

Quote from: bearded4glory on February 14, 2014, 02:56:09 AM
First, I would like to say that it is nice to give the community the option.  With those two options the choice is clear, animation.  If at some later date there was a way to be able to have both that would be great but I think it is fine to have a generic boot and work of it, as you have pointed out it is not really that noticeable from a distance.
you also have to acknowledge that animations are also not that noticeable from a distance. Having both would be nice, but it is clear that almost everyone wants animations over different bot models.