• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:00:03 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Boots modding and animations

Started by PiBoSo, February 13, 2014, 06:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohagan75

Quote from: PiBoSo on February 13, 2014, 06:32:58 PM
It is possible to detach the boots from the rider model to allow modding of the model.
However, there are some technical problems:
1) it is difficult for the engine to attach a rigged model to a pre-existing skeleton
2) it would be difficult for modders to rig the boots

A workaround it to attach static models to the skeleton.
This would allow modding, however there is a drawback: no animations. No gearshift animations, no rear brake animation, no bike push / pull animations.
DP but I just re-read your post PiBoSo, what is the exact difference between your model and the models say myself or other modelers have made for mx simulator? Also when you say difficult for modders to rig them to your skeleton, how 'difficult' would it actually be?

Ruubs

As much as I love modeling myself, I'd still prefer some cool animations. I guess the animations will be more noticeable than the boots, and with a good normal, spec and diffuse map, we'll still be able to create tons of different boots.

Yamaha37H

I voted for option 2, because I love animations, but maybe in game, just "stock" we could have some of the popular boots from todays market already made? That way modders wouldn't have to worry about the animations for the boots? Stuff like Sidi crossfires, tech 10's, gaerne sg12's...stuff of the sort? Just a thought. Idk how hard that would be to implement.

MX ONLINE SAM

m121c

Quote from: Ohagan75 on February 14, 2014, 07:18:23 AM
Quote from: PiBoSo on February 13, 2014, 06:32:58 PM
It is possible to detach the boots from the rider model to allow modding of the model.
However, there are some technical problems:
1) it is difficult for the engine to attach a rigged model to a pre-existing skeleton
2) it would be difficult for modders to rig the boots

A workaround it to attach static models to the skeleton.
This would allow modding, however there is a drawback: no animations. No gearshift animations, no rear brake animation, no bike push / pull animations.
DP but I just re-read your post PiBoSo, what is the exact difference between your model and the models say myself or other modelers have made for mx simulator? Also when you say difficult for modders to rig them to your skeleton, how 'difficult' would it actually be?

Although I can't say I've done much rigging (been meaning to try to learn it when I get time) the way I understand it is would be like the mxs skeleton but just more joints? I mean to do a animation with the foot actually shifting up you would need a join most likely in the ankle? I guess I'm not as familiar with it so I won't talk like I am, just speculating.

Would there be a possibility of maybe some modelers to donate some boot models once the game is up and going and you can rig it up to work properly? I agree that you can have well enough norms to fake a boot with a generic shape, but it would always look sicker having the legit model.

bearded4glory

Hopefully later we can get the ability to customize the rider model more, IDK after looking at it more it seems like it may be lower poly than our MXS models.

DD

Quote from: bearded4glory on February 20, 2014, 04:43:24 AM
Hopefully later we can get the ability to customize the rider model more, IDK after looking at it more it seems like it may be lower poly than our MXS models.
Pretty sure nothing is stopping us from using our own models... This poll was just decided whether the boots should be combined with the torso or not.

Lower poly is not typically a bad thing either ;)

MotoRogers499

im fine with norm maps, less models = less crap for people to rip...

onlyonetone

Davino142

Animation ftw, good skinners can make a nice looking but on any model

Dan

Animations.

+1 -->
QuoteAnimation ftw, good skinners can make a nice looking but on any model

ALEale

arnzzz

boune299