• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:31:10 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Just Checking in

Started by Joe, December 26, 2014, 03:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Hey guys im just checking in (demo is downloading) and wondering whats going on with the community. I remember checking back to this site in the summer and there was a lot of community activity going on.

Where did everyone go?

Joe

Motocross gaming News, Media, Tutorials, and Reviews at http://www.mxgaminghub.com

Ruubs

December 26, 2014, 10:44:19 PM #1 Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:32:03 PM by Sandbiter
Quote from: Joe on December 26, 2014, 03:21:16 PM
Hey guys im just checking in (demo is downloading) and wondering whats going on with the community. I remember checking back to this site in the summer and there was a lot of community activity going on.

Where did everyone go?

Joe
It's good to see you here Joe!

I think it's because the physics aren't anywhere near perfect at this stage of the development. Yes, they are good in some points, but in others it just completely sucks IMO (twitchy steering in most cases, not being able to steer on whoops/rollers and when riding up a hill). I think everyone will come back once this game has been updated a bit more.
I'm still confinced that this game can, and maybe will destroy Mx Simulator some time.

Joe

Yeah I agree,I spent s bit of time on the demo. It seems fun and it has potential I just feel it's to  unpredictable. I look forward to updates though!

Motocross gaming News, Media, Tutorials, and Reviews at http://www.mxgaminghub.com

Joe

One question, I do see there is a "sit" is this sticky? as in do I stay sitting until I press the button again or am I only sitting when im holing the button? I am having a hard time telling when I am sitting or not

rc4187

For me it's set to toggle (sticky) . I believe you can change it though.

arnzzz

Hey buddy

I also think people are just taking a back seat with MXB at this point. I put a lot of hours into it for a few weeks but got more frustrated with the bikes stability over very bumpy terrain, or in anything other than an upright position. If I don't approach jumps from a more or less dead straight angle, with the bike completely upright then the jumps are unpredictable (add low speed to that and its even more so).

But i also believe what its built on is a solid foundation, it just needs to mature and polish some rough edges. I see this being THE goto sim for mx in the future. Maybe in 12 months time itll be a little more usable for the majority of players.

After spending time in MXsim, i think MXB is trying to simulate everything accurately, whereas i feel like mxsim maybe cut out some realism for usability/ridability. We dont have the senses we do in the real world in our games to FEEL what the bikes doing. So when everything is simulated its very hard to feel everything. We dont have the luxury like in other genres with ffb devices to convey what the vehicle is doing etc.

Its very counter intuitive for me to say this, but maybe there is such thing as to much realism in a sim when the other tools we use (keyboard, controller etc) are not conveying the detail needed to ride well.

I have faith :)

thisisdef

Quote from: PiBoSoIt's actually an ambitious project, and at some point, hopefully sooner than later, it will show its full potential.

Phathry25

Quote from: arnzzz on December 28, 2014, 12:41:48 PM
After spending time in MXsim, i think MXB is trying to simulate everything accurately, whereas i feel like mxsim maybe cut out some realism for usability/ridability.

Care to elaborate?

rc4187

Quote from: Phathry25 on December 29, 2014, 09:24:16 PM
After spending time in MXsim, i think MXB is trying to simulate everything accurately, whereas i feel like mxsim maybe cut out some realism for usability/ridability.

Care to elaborate?

I went back to mxsim to see the difference (hadn't played it since mx-bikes came out). I can kinda see what he's saying... I can't quite put my finger on it, but when I play mx sim I feel detatched a bit. Almost too floaty. The weight of the bike seems better manifested in mx-bikes. Also the lack of rider lean being independent of bike lean in mx sim removes a lot of the physics involved. mx sim kinda shows it's age a bit after playing mx-bikes in my opinion. It is after all somewhere around 10 years old.

Omar

arnzzz

Quote from: Phathry25 on December 29, 2014, 09:24:16 PM

Care to elaborate?

Hi Phanthry,

Sorry if I didn't explain why i felt that way, I don't think I could find the words at the time. But after reading rc4187's post above, he has pretty much summed up exactly the way I feel about it :)

I do think its largely to do with the fact you have no rider lean at all in MXSim, which removes what I would assume would be about 90% of what riding an MX bike entails. Isn't riding these kinds of bikes largely an exercise in body placement/weight management when it really comes down to it? I feel MXsim lacks some of that. Im not bashing MXsim, also im no expert, but its an observation from someone going from one sim to the other.

When I ride in MXSim now, I REALLY(i cannot emphasise just how much) miss the ability to control my riders lean. It feels like a huge emmision. i think in the physics of mxsim, they are emulating what we in mxb can do with the rider lean but it happens behind the scenes, and imho that leads to a more stable bike than in mxb.

Have a happy new year everyone

Ruubs

I'm actually not using the side to side lean in this game. With it's current physics it just messes me up the whole time.

rc4187

When you get the leaning down... that's when you'll start correcting crooked jumps, scrubbing and whipping... It's worth putting in the effort to get comfortable with. It saves you from crashing a lot.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: rc4187 on December 31, 2014, 05:16:06 PM
When you get the leaning down... that's when you'll start correcting crooked jumps, scrubbing and whipping... It's worth putting in the effort to get comfortable with. It saves you from crashing a lot.

+1