• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:02:37 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

How is the game going?

Started by motopsycho87, January 10, 2015, 01:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motopsycho87

January 10, 2015, 01:47:41 PM Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:50:58 PM by motopsycho87
Hi everyone. I've just downloaded the demo? and the game seems pretty cool, I'm umming and aahing about whether to buy this or MXSim. I definitely like the look of this game more, and after setting the controls can just about make it around the test track!

The biggest draw to me is online play, is it very active?
This game looks quite new, and doesn't have a hell of a following yet, just looking for some reassurance really that I'm not chucking my money away :)

Thanks!

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I would definitely recommend MX Bikes over MX Sim but I really didn't get on with sim, it felt strange and floaty and didn't feel like a simulation. From the first moment I played MXB I knew it felt right even if the physics need work. It feels more hardcore even with all the assists on if that's what you like. Beta 2 is such an amazing leap from beta 1, it makes me all the more excited for future releases.

Online play is pretty limited at the moment by lack of players & lack of tracks, but I'd rather be a part of a developing community with space to create and help progression than an overcrowded (and from all I've heard childish) one.

But it's all down to personal preference. There is a LOT of content available for sim, tracks, lots of online play. But you would never be chucking your money away by buying MXB, why not have both?  8)

motopsycho87

I've just about managed to get round the practise track without falling off.

Just bought a license!!

Really wish I hadn't wasted my money on MXGP  :(

al167

this and mxs will both have huge learning curves. in mxs, You need to train your brain to balance the bike, before it becomes fun. It takes about 10 hrs of frustrating game play to start to get the hang of it. but once you get over the hump its very rewarding. after a while balancing the bike becomes instinct and then you are good to go! mxb is still in early beta stage and im shure it will step up to match mxs! visually its already better!!! sounds are already better too!! just needs those bike physics sorted and it will be unbeatable!!  but like The fat controller said, why don't you just get both!!

arnzzz

If its online play you need then MXSim is still the place to be. Unless you have a group of friends you can arrange races with in MXB i dont think the online really compares, but that will come with time, when MXB matures and each update doesnt completely change the way the bikes handle.

Graphics and sounds, MXB is killing it, I think it looks great and sounds great.

In the long run I think MXB is the place to watch, I think this will be THE hardcore MX sim for enthusiasts in the future.

motopsycho87

I've played the demo of MXsim a fair bit, and to be honest it doesn't feel like a simulator at all to me, just a hard arcade game with lots of variable settings, I'm sure I made the right choice and I'm sure my patience will pay off  ;)

arnzzz

Quote from: motopsycho87 on January 28, 2015, 06:53:08 PM
I've played the demo of MXsim a fair bit, and to be honest it doesn't feel like a simulator at all to me, just a hard arcade game with lots of variable settings, I'm sure I made the right choice and I'm sure my patience will pay off  ;)

Thats kinda how I feel tbh, its a very strange feeling to the bike in mxsim. It doesnt feel to me like a real bike. Its hard though I cannot deny that. But I also feel MXBikes is where my money should be in the long run. Even if its just graphics, because it already looks much better than MXsim,.

al167

sounds like you two aren't "over the hump" for mxs yet. its very realistic, just totally different to any other mx game. if your into mx/sx just don't dismiss it yet. its funny how I used to think it was really junk too!! give it a few more goes before you right it off. it will help you understand this game better too.
like I said 10 hrs of game play to train your brain.  ;)

rc4187

Quote from: al167 on January 29, 2015, 09:56:57 AM
sounds like you two aren't "over the hump" for mxs yet. its very realistic, just totally different to any other mx game. if your into mx/sx just don't dismiss it yet. its funny how I used to think it was really junk too!! give it a few more goes before you right it off. it will help you understand this game better too.
like I said 10 hrs of game play to train your brain.  ;)

I have nearly 10 years with mxs. Countless hours. I get around a track just fine in it. I can still pick up on what it lacks. It certainly can be a lot of fun, but realistic is something I would not call it.

al167

Quote from: rc4187 on January 29, 2015, 04:57:34 PM

I have nearly 10 years with mxs. Countless hours. I get around a track just fine in it. I can still pick up on what it lacks. It certainly can be a lot of fun, but realistic is something I would not call it.

not trying to get too off topic, but im interested on your view. please elaborate?

motopsycho87

Quote from: al167 on January 30, 2015, 11:02:09 AM

not trying to get too off topic, but im interested on your view. please elaborate?

I think you would be better off answering the question 'do you ride'?

rc4187

February 05, 2015, 06:30:58 PM #11 Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:34:47 PM by PiBoSo

Well, let me preface this by saying that I have about 25 years ( started when I was 8 ) of riding and racing experience and reached a very high level. I know the feeling of riding in the real world very well. MX sim does some things right that are satisfying to pull off. However, it does not realistically simulate the physics of a motocross bike. The lack of independent rider lean and the physics being a bit floaty are my two main issues with it. The weight of everything doesn't feel right. You get used to it and adapt once you learn the physics of the game. MX-Bikes on the other hand... While still early in development and definitely needs some polish, is leaps ahead of simulating the real thing compared to mx sim.

And getting away from just the simulation part of it... The lack of shadows really gives you a feeling of disconnect from the ground. Every time I see someone compare the two games here... I open up mx sim and see for myself the difference so it's fresh in my mind. I really believe Piboso will have the premier motocross simulation once this thing exits beta. To me it's already the better simulation.

GDUBMX

I agree RC, MX bikes is head and shoulders above IMO. I can't wait for the final product.
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

al167

February 06, 2015, 10:09:01 AM #13 Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:35:33 AM by al167
Quote from: rc4187 on February 05, 2015, 06:30:58 PM

Well, let me preface this by saying that I have about 25 years ( started when I was 8 ) of riding and racing experience and reached a very high level. I know the feeling of riding in the real world very well. MX sim does some things right that are satisfying to pull off. However, it does not realistically simulate the physics of a motocross bike. The lack of independent rider lean and the physics being a bit floaty are my two main issues with it. The weight of everything doesn't feel right. You get used to it and adapt once you learn the physics of the game. MX-Bikes on the other hand... While still early in development and definitely needs some polish, is leaps ahead of simulating the real thing compared to mx sim.

And getting away from just the simulation part of it... The lack of shadows really gives you a feeling of disconnect from the ground. Every time I see someone compare the two games here... I open up mx sim and see for myself the difference so it's fresh in my mind. I really believe Piboso will have the premier motocross simulation once this thing exits beta. To me it's already the better simulation.

I have similar life experiences too here in aus, raced mx and sx ect for many years but now just casual rider and couch racer.
I also would love dynamic shadows in mxs,I don't understand some of jlvs ideas, like non user friendly menues and his marketing is just horrific lol (just look at the mxs website)
I do understand the floaty feeling your talking about, I spent a lot of time on reflex before I played mxs, and I remember the floaty feel at first, but its actually right. Its just the way the view is compare to games like reflex.  it uses real forces for gravity ect just like mxbikes,  so it cant be wrong and you will probably have to get used to it.. maybe its the fact that most tracks for mxs are so over scaled and you feel like your floating, but you are actually floating huge 50m triples ect. 
another thing to think of, do you really think the rider moves left to right much in real life? watch some rear mudguard go pro footage on youtube. you will be so surprised how little the rider deviates from the neutral position. it only seams to deviate when an abnormal force kicks the bike and the riders body acts more like a spring and springs sidways wich is not controlled . body position is pretty central a most of the time!! imo. im not shure if anyone has enough fingers to use rider lean. will probably only used for whipping or scrubing maybe??.

as for mxbikes, I haven't got that "thrashing an mx bike feeling yet". but im shure it will catch up very quick to mxs!!! heres hoping piboso!

rc4187

Quote"I have similar life experiences too here in aus, raced mx and sx ect for many years but now just casual rider and couch racer.
I also would love dynamic shadows in mxs,I don't understand some of jlvs ideas, like non user friendly menues and his marketing is just horrific lol (just look at the mxs website)
I do understand the floaty feeling your talking about, I spent a lot of time on reflex before I played mxs, and I remember the floaty feel at first, but its actually right. Its just the way the view is compare to games like reflex.  it uses real forces for gravity ect just like mxbikes,  so it cant be wrong and you will probably have to get used to it.. maybe its the fact that most tracks for mxs are so over scaled and you feel like your floating, but you are actually floating huge 50m triples ect. 
another thing to think of, do you really think the rider moves left to right much in real life? watch some rear mudguard go pro footage on youtube. you will be so surprised how little the rider deviates from the neutral position. it only seams to deviate when an abnormal force kicks the bike and the riders body acts more like a spring and springs sidways wich is not controlled . body position is pretty central a most of the time!! imo. im not shure if anyone has enough fingers to use rider lean. will probably only used for whipping or scrubing maybe??.

as for mxbikes, I haven't got that "thrashing an mx bike feeling yet". but im shure it will catch up very quick to mxs!!! heres hoping piboso!"

Just bc you remain neutral on the bike for the most part doesn't mean it's realistic to remove the need to shift weight (And just because it looks like they remain neutral, doesn't mean they're not weighing different sides of the bike with they're feet). Getting weight on the outside peg or correcting a cross rut can require some body english. Also... If they have to scale up the tracks so much... Doesn't that mean the physics are off? You can certainly use forces for gravity and still change the gravity. I've built giant jumps in MXB and none of them feel floaty or wrong. I understand that people like mxs and even understand why. I just don't believe it realistically represents a true life simulation.

Here are some clear examples of pro's leaning/shifting weight that aren't just whips and scrubs. Watch a race with long straights with deep ruts or even a mud race and tell me how neutral they stay on the bike.