• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:39:02 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Shift timing

Started by BerScott, January 23, 2015, 06:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BerScott

When gearing up it sometimes changes two gears instead of one with one click. I think it could be necessary to add shift timing in miliseconds to prevent gear overlapping. I don't have this problem with GP Bikes actually. I use a Logitech G25 controller, using paddles to shifting.

teeds

+1

Getting the same here.
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

PiBoSo

Are you using the gearbox "Preload"?

teeds

No, tried that and for me it got a lot worse. Must admit to not understanding what exactly "Pre-load" in gearbox terms means, anyone care to enlighten me?

Other driving games I've used had a slider to change a short period of time, as Berscott says of milliseconds, within which additional gear change presses are ignored.

teeds

Ta for the link. I've heard of bearing pre-load but how might it affect us in a game? I hope who ever built the virtual gearbox would have set this properly so as not to cause the bearings to heat up too much, whine or wear prematurely  :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: teeds on January 27, 2015, 01:45:59 PM
No, tried that and for me it got a lot worse. Must admit to not understanding what exactly "Pre-load" in gearbox terms means, anyone care to enlighten me?
My understanding from GPB (but would be better if Piboso confirms it's correct) is:

With gearbox preload ON you can pre-engage a gear with one of the buttons and the gear will actually shift only when the throttle is closed a bit.
With preload OFF either use the clutch or close the throttle a bit before shifting up (shift help does that for you).

To be honest, I'm not sure this preload stuff makes much sense on a bike (MXB or GPB): nobody (even on GPB) seems to use the option nor to know about it on real bikes.
Maybe it's more a kart thing.

MaX.

teeds

Ta Max, I'll test again with that in mind, maybe it's function will be more apparent.

Phathry25

I am also getting this with a PS3 controller configured at a XBox360 controller.  Double shift every 2-3 shifts.  Really annoying. 

Add configurable delay to prevent double shifts to an INI file please.