• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:58 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Parts weight

Started by PiBoSo, February 05, 2015, 05:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

Quote from: Phathry25 on February 09, 2015, 11:26:25 PM
Got everything torn down. Then realized I had no way of weighing everything. Might go after a bathroom scale and just hold the stuff while standing on it. Should be close enough, no?

Sure, that would be great, thank you!

MXK_cdub85

February 10, 2015, 12:00:39 AM #31 Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:05:45 AM by MXK_cdub85
Hey Piboso, I wanted to give you a quick update/heads up on some of the weight figures I gave last night. I ended up getting a front and rear rim, just the rim, from my friend last night off of his 2013 KTM 450SXF. I brought them to work and weighed them on a much more accurate scale. So the front rim is going to be 1590 Grams/3.50lbs. The rear is 1880 Grams/4.14lbs. I also brought in the forks off of the same bike and weighed them. They are filled with oil and have titanium springs. The left side with the caliper bracket weighed 4445.21 Grams/9.8lbs. The right side weighed 4411.21 Grams/9.72lbs.

I also brought a brand new, non O-ring DID chain. It is the DID ERT2 Gold. It was 1356.241Grams/2.99lbs

I will have data for a set of my billet aluminum X-Trig Triple clamps asap as well as better data on a full set of front and rear wheel assemblies.  Ill try and get any other weights you'll need as well. Appreciate all of your hard work.

edit: oops I may have pm'd you this same info Piboso. I started typing it up on my phone and wires got crossed somewhere lol.

arnzzz

Quote from: MXK_cdub85 on February 10, 2015, 12:00:39 AM
Hey Piboso, I wanted to give you a quick update/heads up on some of the weight figures I gave last night. I ended up getting a front and rear rim, just the rim, from my friend last night off of his 2013 KTM 450SXF. I brought them to work and weighed them on a much more accurate scale. So the front rim is going to be 1590 Grams/3.50lbs. The rear is 1880 Grams/4.14lbs. I also brought in the forks off of the same bike and weighed them. They are filled with oil and have titanium springs. The left side with the caliper bracket weighed 4445.21 Grams/9.8lbs. The right side weighed 4411.21 Grams/9.72lbs.

I also brought a brand new, non O-ring DID chain. It is the DID ERT2 Gold. It was 1356.241Grams/2.99lbs

I will have data for a set of my billet aluminum X-Trig Triple clamps asap as well as better data on a full set of front and rear wheel assemblies.  Ill try and get any other weights you'll need as well. Appreciate all of your hard work.

edit: oops I may have pm'd you this same info Piboso. I started typing it up on my phone and wires got crossed somewhere lol.

WOW, thanks for getting all this data for Piboso :)

This can only mean a better sim for all of us at the end of things :)

MXK_cdub85

Quote from: arnzzz on February 10, 2015, 12:47:09 AMWOW, thanks for getting all this data for Piboso :)

This can only mean a better sim for all of us at the end of things :)

It makes it a lot easier to get this info when I am deep in the industry and have many contacts from all sides too, so it's really my pleasure to be able to provide what info I can. Its not too often we have a dev making a motocross sim, let alone be so involved with the community and give/receive feedback so freely! I cant wait to see how this thing looks a year from now!

PiBoSo

Quote from: MXK_cdub85 on February 10, 2015, 12:00:39 AM

Thank you very much.

PiBoSo

February 10, 2015, 02:09:43 PM #35 Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:21:16 PM by PiBoSo
Now that ideas about masses are much more clear, maybe someone can shed some light on weight distribution.
At the moment in MX Bikes it is around 53.5 / 46.5 without the rider, and 50 / 50 with it sitting neutral, both with full fuel tank.
Is it correct?

teeds

Seems to be generally rearward bias, good real info here for MX and GP -

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/874619-front-vs-rear-weight-bias/
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

22Ryann

PiBoSo,

I looked this afternoon for these triple clamps and couldn't find them :( ill check the other shed when i get a chance.

Ryann,

PiBoSo

Quote from: geofanatec on February 11, 2015, 01:35:39 AM
Quote from: PiBoSo on February 10, 2015, 02:09:43 PM
Now that ideas about masses are much more clear, maybe someone can shed some light on weight distribution.
At the moment in MX Bikes it is around 53.5 / 46.5 without the rider, and 50 / 50 with it sitting neutral, both with full fuel tank.
Is it correct?

Seriously.....I just gave u rear, mid, and front guesstimate

Which have so far proven to be very very close.

The math is simple from there

Thank you for your estimates, they were close indeed, but for development it's better to start with hard numbers and then approximate where needed, then start with already guessed values, to keep the final error down.

al167

I will weight my crf450 this weekend, with bathroom scales under rear wheel first, then under front. sound ok?

PiBoSo

Quote from: al167 on February 11, 2015, 12:07:14 PM
I will weight my crf450 this weekend, with bathroom scales under rear wheel first, then under front. sound ok?

Sounds great, thank you!

arnzzz

Quote from: al167 on February 11, 2015, 12:07:14 PM

Make sure to take all your clothes off on the bathroom scales... Ive heard that helps :)

al167

ok did some tests, striping bike down at moment to fix blown gearbox, so I got some more weights too!!
I did every test three times to eliminate errors.( but just using bathroom scales)

2006 CRF weight:

completely full tank of fuel:

Just Rear wheel of bike sitting on scales 60.9 kg
Just Front wheel of bike sitting on scales 54.1 kg

completely empty tank of fuel:

Just Rear wheel of bike sitting on scales 56.0 kg
Just Front wheel of bike sitting on scales 51.3 kg

complete front wheel with disc, tyre ect. (no axel or spacers) 7.8 kg

complete Rear wheel with disc, sprocket tyre ect. (no axel or spacers) 11.7 kg

swingarm, with chain guides - 4.0 kg

engine (without carby and exaust) 28.9 kg

unsprung rear end weight - 3.5 kg (I made a video of how I did this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G70xyf5DjnQ&feature=youtu.be)

cheers Allan

PiBoSo

Quote from: al167 on February 15, 2015, 01:50:59 PM
ok did some tests, striping bike down at moment to fix blown gearbox, so I got some more weights too!!
I did every test three times to eliminate errors.( but just using bathroom scales)

2006 CRF weight:

completely full tank of fuel:

Just Rear wheel of bike sitting on scales 60.9 kg
Just Front wheel of bike sitting on scales 54.1 kg

completely empty tank of fuel:

Just Rear wheel of bike sitting on scales 56.0 kg
Just Front wheel of bike sitting on scales 51.3 kg

complete front wheel with disc, tyre ect. (no axel or spacers) 7.8 kg

complete Rear wheel with disc, sprocket tyre ect. (no axel or spacers) 11.7 kg

swingarm, with chain guides - 4.0 kg

engine (without carby and exaust) 28.9 kg

unsprung rear end weight - 3.5 kg (I made a video of how I did this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G70xyf5DjnQ&feature=youtu.be)

cheers Allan

Thank you very much.
Weight distribution is surprising: it seems to be all to the back.

JoonaT

Say if you need info about 125cc/250cc two-stroker!
I have Ktm Exc 250 and 125 Kawi.

- Joona