• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:16:59 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

The physics are way off on this game

Started by mxman, February 21, 2015, 05:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mxman

The physics are way off on this game. It feels like I'm riding a street bike. Any plans on improving that? It's really hard to have fun when it doesn't act like a dirt bike at all.

onlyonetone

Quote from: mxman on February 21, 2015, 05:00:22 AM
The physics are way off on this game. It feels like I'm riding a street bike. Any plans on improving that? It's really hard to have fun when it doesn't act like a dirt bike at all.

the physics are constantly being worked on. Take a stroll through this thread and you can read up on what's all being done.

PiBoSo

Could you please be more specific?
What area exactly needs to be improved?

I have a feeling that "It feels like I'm riding a street bike" will stick to this project as a label, even if it's not true.  :(

GDUBMX

Quote from: PiBoSo on February 21, 2015, 10:42:20 AM

I have a feeling that "It feels like I'm riding a street bike" will stick to this project as a label, even if it's not true.  :(
I agree piboso, its been used several times which is unfortunate however, I personally think by street bike feel they mean the back end specifically. As mentioned before I feel the rear end tracks the front too much, almost like you cannot slide independently on the rear tire like you can in any other motocross game. MXgp is good example of this I think. It seems the whole bike just leans as one, instead of turning round corners if you know what I mean. I know what this street bike feel is when I've played other MX games and come back to this one. This isn't a personal attack at your work by any means Pib, Im simply trying to offer constructive advice and opinions to help shape this game into the motocross benchmark game.
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

GDUBMX

Quote from: gdubmx on February 21, 2015, 11:01:01 AM

I agree piboso, its been used several times which is unfortunate however, I personally think by street bike feel they mean the back end specifically. As mentioned before I feel the rear end tracks the front too much, almost like you cannot slide independently on the rear tire like you can in any other motocross game. MXgp is good example of this I think. It seems the whole bike just leans as one, instead of turning round corners if you know what I mean. I know what this street bike feel is when I've played other MX games and come back to this one. This isn't a personal attack at your work by any means Pib, Im simply trying to offer constructive advice and opinions to help shape this game into the motocross benchmark game. Your work is great piboso and we applaud you for your hard work. :)

arnzzz

As Gdubmx said Piboso, I also think the "street bike" comments are base in the inability to get the back end out in a managed/consistent way.

As guys like teeds have shown if you put in the time you can do amazing things with these bikes, but for a first timer, or someone
NOT willing to put those hours in, the first impression of the bikes here is that they cannot be thrown around as some people would
expect to throw around a MX bike.

For example at times I can come into a corner and mash the back brake, then the back end will slide around and it feels great, just like id expect it to,
but then its just absolute luck if i can hold it past that point, 99/100 times ill be on my arse shortly after lol :)

As others have hinted at, I alos believe that MXgp did this well, even though it was pretty arcadey, they had some things working very well.

Those of us who come here often and play most days know how much work you put in to this and it blows my mind tbh, AND we have
all seen the improvements you make from build to build that radically improve this sim.

I know this sim will get to a point one day where it pleases all but the most dedicated and closed minded supporters of other products
so im not overly worried tbh.

I mean all this as constructive critisism :)

teeds

I can't disagree with the rear wheel behaviour described, but as I thought we'd already covered this was going to wait and see how B3 is before bringing it up again if needed.
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

arnzzz

Quote from: teeds on February 21, 2015, 02:30:00 PM
I can't disagree with the rear wheel behaviour described, but as I thought we'd already covered this was going to wait and see how B3 is before bringing it up again if needed.

Your right, I probably should have just waited :)

dirtbike

Quote from: gdubmx on February 21, 2015, 11:01:01 AM

I agree piboso, its been used several times which is unfortunate however, I personally think by street bike feel they mean the back end specifically. As mentioned before I feel the rear end tracks the front too much, almost like you cannot slide independently on the rear tire like you can in any other motocross game. MXgp is good example of this I think. It seems the whole bike just leans as one, instead of turning round corners if you know what I mean. I know what this street bike feel is when I've played other MX games and come back to this one. This isn't a personal attack at your work by any means Pib, Im simply trying to offer constructive advice and opinions to help shape this game into the motocross benchmark game.

imo street bike feeling it's because an mx bike can handle more rough terrain, in actual mxb physics the tracks have to be very clean/without bumps to be ride able. Other thing is the rebound from front wheel is acting a bit strange when the front fork is a bit sideways...  i need to drop all the values to minimum in suspension settings to decrease this issue... even so needs to be addressed in the future. (hope beta 3 have more bike playability for more people enjoy the game and get addicted to it)... even so i prefer mx bikes 100 times more than mx sim! :)

moto28

February 22, 2015, 01:33:48 AM #9 Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:36:24 AM by moto28
This game is great, The only thing that id hope to see in Beta 3 that hasn't already been addressed would be further In air Physics tweaking. I completely understand its just been added in and needs to be fine tuned. I just wish to help inform what needs to be tuned. Mostly for me the way the rider leans compared to the bike movement is very awkward. It almost feels like the rider jerks the bike too fast. Although i wonder how this new Part Weight Addition affects that? ??? Other than that the only other thing i can ask is that the head follows the Movement Direction rather than the front wheel in air. Other than that Its Pretty great :)

Also another little Thing thats a tad bit odd is how light weight the front wheel is at a complete stop. The rider can turn it back and forth like he can in the air. The Bike is a few hundred pounds digging into the dirt and you cannot turn the front wheel that freely because of resistance and the treads of the tire digging into the dirt. By changing this i feel this would put a huge Advancement to the low speed stability problem because you would be able to keep the wheel straight once beginning to throttle rather that it doing that little back and forth jerk before you get your speed up Due to Gyroscopic Forces not Yet becoming a stabilizing factor. This would improve starts, and just overall low speed stability in general.
Great Game just some Constructive Criticism. Keep up the great work

22Ryann

The main feeling i felt when using the demo was that the front and rear wheels seem aligned almost like they are on a rail, so they don't ever seem independent of each other,

it gives a feeling of a street bike like design, just my opinion.

motopsycho87

Quote from: 22Ryann on February 22, 2015, 09:14:59 AM
The main feeling i felt when using the demo was that the front and rear wheels seem aligned almost like they are on a rail, so they don't ever seem independent of each other,

it gives a feeling of a street bike like design, just my opinion.

Yeah I know what you mean, in real life you see a berm, and once you've slowed to corner entry speed, whack the throttle open so the rear wheel slides right into the berm while sitting nice and forward to keep the front planted. I'm yet to find a game that recreates that feeling. Must be hard as hell to program though. Just trying to consider the resolution of forces and turning moments on the rear wheel is enough for me!!

HornetMaX

Quote from: motopsycho87 on February 22, 2015, 10:42:15 AM
I'm yet to find a game that recreates that feeling. Must be hard as hell to program though. Just trying to consider the resolution of forces and turning moments on the rear wheel is enough for me!!
That is right indeed. I'd say that the hard part is not "to consider the resolution of forces and turning moments on the rear wheel" (in a multi-body approach, this is taken care almost automagically) but more the fact that in a sim it's very hard to get the physical feeling of what's happening, you can't feel the rear starting to slide.

I still have in the back of my mind a tiny suspect about the tire model (speaking more for GPB than for MXB here): at large slip and camber angles, it may not be accurate.

MaX.

GDUBMX

February 23, 2015, 08:11:30 PM #13 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:03:43 PM by gdubmx
So Piboso what are you thoughts and plans of action on the recent criticisms/opinions on the supposed "street bike" handling and rear wheel/back end adjustments. I assume you are familiar with MXgp rear end handling that was previously mentioned? What are your thoughts on the implementation of that type of movement in mx bikes? Thank you Piboso. Sorry for the 21 questions :)

PiBoSo

Quote from: gdubmx on February 23, 2015, 08:11:30 PM
So Piboso what are you thoughts and plans of action on the recent criticisms/opinions on the supposed "street bike" handling and rear wheel/back end adjustments. I assume you are familiar with MXgp rear end handling that was previously mentioned? What are your thoughts on the implementation of that type of movement in mx bikes? Thank you Piboso. Sorry for the 21 questions, its just nice to hear our developer  actually have an input with the community unlike that biased bunch of deaf gimps on the MVA forum. :)

Familiar with MXGP?  ???
The rear tyre sliding is one of the two main problems of MX Bikes ( the other being the steer ).
To fix it, the plan is to tune the tyre parameters.