• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:30:18 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

The physics are way off on this game

Started by mxman, February 21, 2015, 05:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mace-x

Quote from: HornetMaX on March 02, 2015, 10:32:35 PM
Really ? I can't double check right now, but from what I recall of MXB beta 1-2 there were defintely some ruts even on the default track.
And they do made a difference when riding in/out them.

They were "fixed", not evolving with time (i.e. bikes passing on them), as this is what deformation will bring. But still, they were there and had an effect, IIRC.

MaX.

Max, mxsim handled ruts way better than mxb, i can guarantee that.
Mx sim has terrain deformation, altrought the erosion it produces it´s round, like a soft brush and it´s very weird and unpolished.
There´s no dynamic shadows on mxsim, altrought for the track you could bake shadows (objects and terrain, not rider of course.), i´m kind of missing that, i´m still getting used to track building process on mxb.

PizzaChet

It seems like people need to spend more time in MXS first-person before they make comparisons. I know some are devoted to this sim, but need more perspective. I get any sim that is fun. This is one of them. I'm excited for what is to come.
Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

JohnnyMac

March 02, 2015, 11:14:18 PM #47 Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:16:06 PM by JohnnyMac
I can't play mxs in 3rd person, only in 1st person and need to play it in 1st to get my tires in the ruts. Third person in MXS to me is very hard as a sim and I slide out a lot, but in first person, because camera is rigged to the bike itself, I know exactly how the rear wheel is sliding out from the handlebars. Being in a rut helps, even if you don't see it in these 3rd person vids, because the depth and shading isn't obvious.

Phathry25

Quote from: HornetMaX on March 02, 2015, 09:44:31 PM
Quote from: al167 on March 02, 2015, 07:36:36 PM
Max, heres a quck vid of me riding in mxs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isd7NWEr2Bc&feature=youtu.be
Well, thanks for the video, but this definitely doesn't push me towards mxs.

Judging from what I see (again, this means I can be very wrong), this is much less a simulator than MXB. In random order:

• Terrain seems to be mostly flat, or at least the ruts seem to be cosmetic only: the bike goes across them totally unaffected.
  • No bike shadow ?! That's visually very very bad, the bike seems to be floating. Is this an option you turned off or they are really absent ?
  • There seems to be something off in terms of bike+rider weight or engine torque and traction: you can have the bike essentially stopped on a steep slope and you get it flying 10m high with a twist of the throttle. Could be just a problem of that specific bike/mod though, don't know.
  • I don't see a lot of rear sliding: when it is there, it looks a bit automagical (like at 1:20, where it saved that huge one).
  • Behavior on bumps is a bit weird, it looks super-permissive.
  • Some very weird landings: 2:03-2:07 and the incredible one at 2:25-2:31 ?!?! Really ?

On the good side, I do see that the control you have mid-air seems very good.

What were your controls while playing (i.e. how was yuor joypad set up) ?

MaX.

Max.... I started reading your post I stopped after this...

Nice video, that doesn't look like a simulation to me. Here's why. 1. Graphics 2. Graphics.

That's all the further I made it. When you're ready to start judging the physics of a game based on its physics let me know and I'll reason with you.

:)

Phathry25

Quote from: Mace-x on March 02, 2015, 11:11:29 PMMax, mxsim handled ruts way better than mxb, i can guarantee that.
Mx sim has terrain deformation, altrought the erosion it produces it´s round, like a soft brush and it´s very weird and unpolished.
There´s no dynamic shadows on mxsim, altrought for the track you could bake shadows (objects and terrain, not rider of course.), i´m kind of missing that, i´m still getting used to track building process on mxb.

Mace. I think it's changed since you played. Much more tuneable now. You can have a real good time running in a track on your own. Still far from perfect though.

Mace-x

Hi phathry!

Nah, i´ve played it a couple weeks ago and it was similar, what i never really understood is why jlv didnt implemented left and right leaning, the feeling is so weird with the rider sticked at the middle.

Regarding max point with graphics, i know a sim is not about graphics, but for fucks sake, add a shadow to the bike, that always bugged me of mxsim, it could even be a png with transparency below the damn bike, is not too hard to do.

for me, mx sim is dead, we have been fighting for more than 5 years for proper collisions, no those damn spheres, rider leaning, rider crashing and tons of improvements that would have made the game so much better, finally gave up waiting on jlv, that game is what it is because of the fan made content, go and play a 3 years old release, is not far from what we have now.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Mace-x on March 02, 2015, 11:11:29 PM
Max, mxsim handled ruts way better than mxb, i can guarantee that.
Could be, it was maybe just not visible in the video posted above.

Quote from: Phathry25 on March 02, 2015, 11:16:21 PM
Max.... I started reading your post I stopped after this...

Nice video, that doesn't look like a simulation to me. Here's why. 1. Graphics 2. Graphics.

That's all the further I made it. When you're ready to start judging the physics of a game based on its physics let me know and I'll reason with you.
Well, you may want to re-read my post then.

Point 1 was definitely not about graphics (albeit point 2 was).

I said "in random order", implying point x was not to be considered more important than point x+n (with n positive).

And finally (and most important), all the points past point 2 (and including point 1) were about physics.

So, when you're ready to discuss a post after having read all of it, let me know :)

MaX.

HornetMaX

Just to be sure: I'm in no way fighting "for MXB against MXS".

To me comparing the two is inevitable, as they are the only 2 MX sims around. No love/hate, just comparing some aspects and approaches.

Even without seriously trying MXS, I can clearly see it has some very good merit: it was there way before MXB, it has a strong community, it is being played a lot online even right now (which does not always mean a lot, but for sure does not happen by chance). At least in some (important) areas it is certainly ahead of MXB.

MaX.

al167

mxs isn't perfect, and it has many things that are not good.

I agree totally with you mace-x. mxs needs a lot of work and is progressing way too slow. shadows, beter menus, and mesh collisions for objects are so needed!! its also very demanding on the cpu and gpu, for lower end pcs.
hornetmax,
for your info,
graphics are actually technically on par with mxb (except for the dynamic shadows and dynamic weather). mxs has spec and norm maps for terrain and objects just like mxb, and material options like "mirror" and "emit" and specular light for objects. it also has an image overlay decal system for the terrain that improves on track terrain visuals over mxb in my opinion. but I do like the auto 3d grass in mxb!!

Its mainly the fact that mxs has very basic crappy looking stock tracks and relies on users to make nice tracks/bikes. not many users know how to use all these features.

but not to get into a mxs vs mxb debate either :D :D,

Mace-x, phat, and hornet,  mxb looks mighty promising, and that's why im here like you.

MXB already ticks all those boxes mace -x want!!!! and piboso and snappe are working forward at an amazing rate.

just the facts are that mxb is unrideable and not fun at the moment for beta 2.

Remember, all this is great feed back for mxb team.

just need mxb to be able to ride around a supercross track like in my vid!
cheers Allan

Mace-x

sup al167 :)

actually mxb is as fun as mx sim in my opinion, before some practice you get the hang of it and start being able to ride in a more consistent way (except when slow on hills, that freaking sucks!)
still needs a lot of work but i like the progress rate, developers feedback and features being implemented.

mx simulator´s decal system was amazing, i loved it, it was easy and looked great, also i loved the ingame track editor, was quite handy to get a base to work in photoshop.

teeds

Quote from: al167 on March 03, 2015, 09:31:55 AM

facts indeed eh  :o
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

al167

March 03, 2015, 11:42:20 AM #56 Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:44:24 AM by al167
Quote from: teeds on March 03, 2015, 09:43:48 AM
Quote from: al167 on March 03, 2015, 09:31:55 AM

facts indeed eh  :o
some people like mx vs atv sx too.....  :o

𝖙𝖋𝖈

No I agree with teeds, not sure what you mean by facts, MXB is very ride-able and a lot of fun when you start to master it. 

HornetMaX

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to take one MXB track (the default one would be OK) and port it to MXS ?

I know there may be differences about how the terrain behaves, but at least the identical track layout and heightmap.

It would be a hell of an experiment IMO.

MaX.

Ruubs

March 03, 2015, 02:34:51 PM #59 Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:39:01 PM by Sandbiter
Quote from: HornetMaX on March 03, 2015, 01:08:35 PM
Out of curiosity, would it be possible to take one MXB track (the default one would be OK) and port it to MXS ?

I know there may be differences about how the terrain behaves, but at least the identical track layout and heightmap.

It would be a hell of an experiment IMO.

MaX.
That's something Rafagas (known track creator from Mx Simulator) did before the game was released. He ported the example track.

The jumps in this game are smaller, it feels like everything floats in Mx Simulator, there's almost no weight to the bikes. I'm not sure if I still have the track, but if I have I might be able to make a quick helmet cam video for you.

Did anyone of you see my post about physics? It was in another topic, and I didn't get a single reply to it.
Quote from: Sandbiter on February 06, 2015, 03:32:50 PM
I'm not sure where to post this... I don't think these are bugs, but yet I feel like they need to be fixed.
I'm also aware that you guys have done a lot for beta 3 so far, and that some of these things might be fixed.
I know the game is still in beta, but I haven't seen any posts about this yet, so I'll do it.
I don't want to sound like a douche, I just want to help you guys out improving this game.

The steering is WAY too twitchy in the air and when riding slow (the dab thingy will defenitly help, but the steering is just too twitchy). When you go over rollers, whoops or whatever, you should be able to go full throttle through them while sitting back on the bike. In this game the only thing you get is a twitchy steer when you try to go any fast. Also we should be able to steer a bit in whoops and rollers. At the moment we need to get straight in front of it and we may be able to pin it through, but you can forget that when we touch the steer a slight bit.

When your front wheel is just a little bit in the air you won't be able to steer with your body or get the bike straight again. I'll keep leaned over and you most likely crash if you're not fast enough.

rider movement is VERY sensetive, this is especially noticable when coming up a jump or in the air.

If you get a little sideways on a ramp/jump before you're in the air you're dead. We should be able to go a little sideways on a jump and not do 10 360s and then crash after that.

When you land with your weight a little bit to the left or to the right you slide out instantly on impact.

It's impossible to have a rough track in this game at this moment. There's no way to ride clean through deep ruts and bumps (actually the same issue from before, a twitchy steer).

Here is a video where you can see most of my problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebWYMcR5bqs&feature=youtu.be

0:07. Trying to whip, just a little bit of rider movement and I'm doing 10 360s.
0:25. See how my steering get twitchy once I hit the face of the jump? this 10cm twitching from side to side causes to bike to do a masive whip without even touching the rider movement. I was trying to jump straight.
0:50. Why did I crash here so easy?
1:10. Wheel got in the air a little bit. I couldn't get my bike straight and I crashed.
1:25. Just a little bit of steering at the end of the ramp, right before I'm in the air. Why would it make me do 10 360s again?

So to sum it all up. I think this game will be lots better if the steering wasn't so twitchy. We should be able to ride through deep ruts, bumps, whoops, rollers and be able to steer in these situations.
Yes I suck at this game, but I still think most of this shouldn't happen that easily.