• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:19:30 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Modeling bikes / rider etc..

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, March 03, 2015, 10:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Hey, couldn't think of the best place to put this so thought I'd ask here.

Is there any documentation or user made tutorials on creating things like custom helmets, custom bikes etc?

Had a look at the PiBoSo Wiki, and tried a search on http://forum.piboso.com/ but couldn't find anything useful.

rc4187

I used the GP bike forums and got a bike model in and everything and mocked it up pretty well. I abandoned it to work on other projects. It definitely would be nice to have clearer documentation on the process, though.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Thanks rc, I did have a quick look through the GPB forums but couldn't find anything useful. Any specific keywords you can remember I should search for?

rc4187

Quote from: TheFatController on March 03, 2015, 11:50:42 PM
Thanks rc, I did have a quick look through the GPB forums but couldn't find anything useful. Any specific keywords you can remember I should search for?

There definitely isn't a great resource out there that I could find... A lot of it was picking apart the existing bike files and using some of the same techniques that you use to get track models in. I opened the file for the 250 and replaced some .edf's with my bike models and changed some text files to reflect my models names and what not... I definitely didn't dive very deep. Just enough to get the model in. I never got my suspension working or anything like that.
Here are some of the links I used:

http://gpbikes-mods.wikia.com/wiki/GPBikes_mods_Wiki
http://gpbikes-mods.wikia.com/wiki/Checklist

and I can't find the others right away here. The information is there... It's just kinda buried.

Vortex_Damien

Thanks a ton for that link.. its going to be very useful for when i get this yamaha model done.. this is something ive been working on in my spare time and will most likely be exported to both mx simulator and mxbikes both will have template releases and all that. im going to have to get with you rc when it comes time to import the bike into the game.. did you happen to get normal and spectacular maps working when you had imported it in? i know someone that tried importing a husky and didn't have normal and spec maps working on his model. so it wont be long till we have more then one bike model in the game
*model so far*

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Thanks rc, I'll take a good look!

Damien that's looking really promising! Keep up the good work can't wait to see more!

rc4187

Quote from: Vortex_Damien on March 04, 2015, 07:33:54 PM
Thanks a ton for that link.. its going to be very useful for when i get this yamaha model done.. this is something ive been working on in my spare time and will most likely be exported to both mx simulator and mxbikes both will have template releases and all that. im going to have to get with you rc when it comes time to import the bike into the game.. did you happen to get normal and spectacular maps working when you had imported it in? i know someone that tried importing a husky and didn't have normal and spec maps working on his model. so it wont be long till we have more then one bike model in the game
*model so far*

I didn't try to get normal or specular maps yet. It shouldn't be terribly difficult if it's like adding normal or specular maps to models for the tracks, though. I'd be happy to help you get it imported when the time comes. I still have quite a bit to learn about it myself.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

And how do you add normal maps to objects for tracks? Does it happen after the export process and before track compiling? Neither me or Geo can figure it out..  ???

rc4187

From Snappe:

"for normal maps you need to create a text file and rename it the same name as your colour map but with the extension .shd.

http://docs.piboso.com/wiki/index.php/Track_Creation_Rules#Shaders

Example:

bike.tga would need bike.shd, containing something like:

Code: [Select]
bump
{
map = normal_map.tga
}
specular
{       
shininess = 6
}"

Vortex_Damien

PiBoSo was wondering what is poly limit for the game? and when importing a bike are there set wheels or do they have to be with the model when you import it in?

PiBoSo

March 05, 2015, 09:41:43 PM #10 Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:01:06 AM by PiBoSo
Quote from: Vortex_Damien on March 05, 2015, 07:53:20 PM
PiBoSo was wondering what is poly limit for the game? and when importing a bike are there set wheels or do they have to be with the model when you import it in?

There is no limit, but it would be better to stay under 80k triangles for the full bike, and to use LODs.

Mace-x

80k!
That's nice!
Mx simulator models where about 10k-15k tops, at least that was the target.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Mace-x on March 05, 2015, 10:34:02 PM
80k!
That's nice!
Mx simulator models where about 10k-15k tops, at least that was the target.

Please note the budget includes the tyres, though.