• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:30:24 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Tell us when you´re online!

Started by Mace-x, March 05, 2015, 02:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wedgewood

I can't help but feel like the constant bike upgrades are tearing this community apart.  The more frequent the updates roll out the less people play online.  I'm slowly losing my drive to check this site, and update appropriate bikes each time I want to play online.  Sometimes when I see people join, I will try to get in but the race or qualify would have already started after 15+ mins of research and game modification.

I really feel like the lack of an automatic downloader is killing interest in this game.  If there was a small approval process for bikes and tracks to be added to the game at a predetermined time each day then we could have an auto downloader linked to the appropriate server we are trying to join so instead of getting a "missing bike please research and modify" we should get a "missing bikes, would you like to automatically update them?"

This will keep the online community interested and will also avoid 90% of the troubleshooting questions.  Consider how many people gave up on this game before they even had a chance to play online because of either lack of technical knowledge or even language barriers.

It seems like something so small, however, it could have a huge impact in the future of this game.

At this point in my rant I realize that I should have put this in the suggestions section, but it's already typed out and I'm a little lazy.

PizzaChet

Agreed. After the beta5 I played online often, but soon enough I also stopped trying to keep up with the Joneses. Things will hopefully settle into a single download pack soon.
Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

Asdrael

I agree Wedgewood. I am going to try to at least limit my updates to Wednesdays only. But that doesn't solve the issue of having to visit forums to update X thing for server Y when in reality you are trying to join server Z :/ Not sure how an automated downloader would work, but if at least we could get a custom message like "Not able to connect, your server pack is not up to date - please download at blabla.com" that would be an improvement.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

Wedgewood

Quote from: Asdrael on February 10, 2017, 07:22:28 PM
I agree Wedgewood. I am going to try to at least limit my updates to Wednesdays only. But that doesn't solve the issue of having to visit forums to update X thing for server Y when in reality you are trying to join server Z :/ Not sure how an automated downloader would work, but if at least we could get a custom message like "Not able to connect, your server pack is not up to date - please download at blabla.com" that would be an improvement.

It probably wouldn't be easy but if it did happen it would pay off for sure.  Perhaps if they used an auto updater system similar to X-Plane which would update any missing files on command this could be used to roll out smaller partial updates and have the ability to have an approved by Piboso "3rd part content" folder within the game.  Then modders can create and update, send to Piboso for approval, and if approved have it added to the auto updater at a predetermined time of day in hopes of creating as little aggravation as possible for the users.  With the Modders and the community having such vast computer knowledge it's easy to forget how difficult it must be for someone without these skills trying to simply race online to experience the game.

if this isn't possible due to copyright liabilities for Piboso than it could be released as an "unofficial" updater with the "3rd party content" being approved by the "modders"

Asdrael

Quote from: Wedgewood on February 10, 2017, 09:35:47 PM
if this isn't possible due to copyright liabilities for Piboso than it could be released as an "unofficial" updater with the "3rd party content" being approved by the "modders"

You mean like the Steam Workshop? ;)
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

HornetMaX

Heavily debated in GPB forums. The currently agreed solution is:

• One guy in charge of maintaining a download site (Mega and ftp, but could be other) with all bikes.
  • No matter the bike release date, the download site is updated twice a month.
  • People that run servers only use what's on the download site.

If bike modders play the game (i.e. they release their bikes only through the download site) and server admins too (i.e. they only run their servers with the current content of the download site), it works OK.

I still think GPB/MXB could be a bit more wordy in telling you which bike is causing a mismatch, e.g. "You have Bike XXX version 2.1, you need bike XXX version 2.2".

P.S.
FTP is kinda nice as it allows you to use sync software (like Syncback, free) to autmatically sync your folder with the ftp "repository".

One advice: for sync purposes, it's waaaay better if each mod bike (and tracks) is provided as a single .pkz file. It makes syncing way easier, faster and less error prone.

HornetMaX

Quote from: geofanatec on February 10, 2017, 10:33:54 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on February 10, 2017, 10:24:05 PM
One advice: for sync purposes, it's waaaay better if each mod bike (and tracks) is provided as a single .pkz file. It makes syncing way easier, faster and less error prone.

Interesting.........but would also require a complete download (even if only 1 bike changed) to work
No, one .pkz per bike, not a single .pkz for all bikes of course.

HornetMaX

Quote from: geofanatec on February 10, 2017, 10:36:25 PM
But, is it so hard to move a folder rather than pkz? Same difference.
The problem with the folder is that it's often hard to figure out which version of the bike you have. With a single .pkz, you look at the file date and that's it.
Anyway, bikes are downloaded as .zip file (which essentially is a .pkz file), so ... At any rate, once you have the .pkz, nothing prevents you from expanding it into the usual folder.

But for sync'ing, sync'ing 10 .pkz is much better than sync'ing hundreds of individual files (especially via ftp as very often the files timestamp gets screwed by the ftp upload/server/download).
Also, dealing with one file per bike is much easier for the one in charge of the download site (trust me on this, we had at least 3 different guys taking care of this and all of them, periodically, screw an update causing some troubles; not their fault of course, but ...).

But again, if each bike (and track) has a dedicated "field" for versioning, then GPB/MXB could tell you which bike version you have and which one you need: that would already be a big step forward.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Couldn't agree more wedgewood. Don't get me wrong, I love all the work going on, but I can't be bothered to keep up especially when I only get the odd half hour to play right now. It also doesn't help that the work going on involves more than just one thing. We now have different categories, different tyres, different versions of the same bike, and now there is talk of different rider physics possibly going on servers. This kind of stuff is confusing for me who's not played online in over a week let alone new users.

Seeing as life is so busy, I'm waiting for it to settle down as my guess is soon enough there will be a 'definitive' bike pack, where the old crap is cleaned out and it will be the standard for online play. Here's hoping any way.

CSchmied986

Been trying to play online, but i can only connect to the STOCK server....  >:( I've even tried downloading the new MOD12 pack, but it just says 'Synching'...

CSchmied986

GTX or bust  8) That seems to be where most of the action is anyways.

CSchmied986

Where might one find this .pkz? That's the only reason i haven't raced the series, cause i could not connect.

Ruubs

Quote from: TFC on February 10, 2017, 10:52:39 PMAnd now there is talk of different rider physics possibly going on servers. This kind of stuff is confusing for me who's not played online in over a week let alone new users.
Sorry :-[

BadStar

Personally..

The mods are annoying me..   

Absolutely love the modder's, the mods and the amazing effort and possible contribution to the base game. BRAVO!!

I am just annoyed that when I check the "online" servers and see a rider in 1 of many options of modded or not servers, i have to remind my self which mods to remove from folders and bla bla.. most of the time I just say f'it..

I would rather see, BASIC SERVERS and MOD SERVERS... and that's it.. Not ModA, ModB, ModC

Rant over... again, thx for all your work modders..seriously!
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

Yep.. I didn't see Hornet's post

Sounds like a great plan to me!
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime