• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:39:49 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Tell us when you´re online!

Started by Mace-x, March 05, 2015, 02:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

February 11, 2017, 10:01:19 AM #165 Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:03:27 AM by TFC
But if teeds doesn't want to run all this stuff, or someone wants to host stock servers it could really devide the community especially for newcomers. Hopefully there is a more elegant solution sometime in the future but for now I guess it is what it is.

What I'd like to see, and I know it sounds counter intuitive, is less frequent changes. If someone has an idea for something new, trial it, share it with people, get proper feedback and finalise things before they go on servers and we're forced to download a new version of something specific before we can join online. Over the last few weeks there have been many things that have been updated every other day, it's just hard to keep up unless you're online every night :(

Again, love the work going on :)

HornetMaX

That's the idea behind GPB's system: updates on 1st and 15th of each month.

teeds

I'm all for running 1 pack, but not so long ago the GTX servers disappeared remember? What was it that caused that...  http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=1550.0  ::) 
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

Braap570

QuoteBut if teeds doesn't want to run all this stuff, or someone wants to host stock servers it could really devide the community especially for newcomers. Hopefully there is a more elegant solution sometime in the future but for now I guess it is what it is.

i know what you are all talking about.... there is an example what other groups have for other games... if you check e.g. the german website "www.schwarzbierbude.de" ... thats a very big community of assetto corsa !

They have something called the "Autoupdater". There you see every new skin or Mod which you dont have. The Programm "Autoupdater" checks your Data Folder and if you havent the Mod or an older version of a mod, it automaticly updates your folder... So your always up to date for the servers. And if you wanna play e.g. for yourself, you dont have to make the update for your game.
I like this sort of solution very much! But im too bad in programming and stuff.... so idk if its possible to make something for mxb, too...

i normally would post this in the suggestion or wishlist folder, but it fits in this conversation here, so i just thought ill post it here :D

HornetMaX

The autoupdate thingy is just like what we have in GPB: the Mega site is manual, but the FTP can be automated (with something like SyncBack, freeware). How it could work for MXB:

• One chap in charge of putting the mods (bike, tracks) on an FTP server, one .pkz file per mod.
  • Each player installs SyncBack (free edition, more than enough) and gets a SyncBack script that is pre-configured with all the necessary information (address of ftp site, password etc).
  • When you want to sync your local folder to the FTP repository you just run SyncBack (well, the MXB-specific script).

SyncBack can be configured to inform you about any differences between your local repository and the "master" FTP repository and ask for the action (e.g. download the file, or skip it).
For the totally lazy, it can also be configured to take the dicision for you (i.e. just download any file that is different).

Job done.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

That sounds like a pretty elegant solution max, as I mentioned in the server requirements thread some kind of version control would be ideal. I'm all for this.

Asdrael

Would be a pretty neat solution - can even give a couple of guys Admin access on the Mega account I suppose so it's not all in the hands of 1 person.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

HornetMaX

If you want to go with Mega you'd have to use their MegaSync. I've never tried it but I suspect that it needs the login/password of the mage account holder (which would be a bit of a pain as users will only need to sync down, not syn cup, so read only).

P.S.
Coo, they also have a gui-less command line option (Mega CMD) :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: geofanatec on February 14, 2017, 07:56:09 PM
Ya I guess I don't understand what's wrong with using drive?
Drive = Google Drive ?

If I recall correctly, they are not very generous in terms of download capacity. Google Drive is not meant to share large volumes, it's more for personal use.
I'm not even sure I can sync to your drive (but that's true for Mega too, I've just checked MegaSync and it needs the login and password. Mega_cmd seems to be able to sync with a given mega url+key, but it crashes instantly for me).

Overall, the best solution (just my opinion) is an FTP space + SyncBack (or whichever ftp client you like more).
But you need to find somebody giving you the FTP space with decent bandwidth.

HornetMaX

Quote from: geofanatec on February 14, 2017, 10:40:20 PM
Hmm..........interesting I use Google Drive to sync 200+ gigs of crap and all works perfect. If my PC breaks it is all on there and I can be back up and running on a new machine very quickly.
Yeah, I use it too. But it's you downloading from your GDrive account. When G realizes you're sharing your 50GB with 100-1000 others, I'm not sure they will be happy.
Again GDrive is not really meant as a sharing service: there are some download limits (when too many users try to download a give file over a period of time: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16856102/google-drive-limit-number-of-download).

I am pretty sure I will need to share the folder directly to those who want to sync with it, but that is easy to do.

Not really if you have a large number of players.

Anyway: Couldn't I setup an FTP with my server? On a 250 mb connection so should be good.
If you can do that (or if you can summon somebody familiar with FTP servers), then we're halfway through :)
If you put a few files & folder on the ftp server and send me the address/login/password (read only), I can bang you a SyncBack profile. People will have to:

• Install syncback (free version, there's also a portable version for the ones that are anal about that).
  • Download the syncback profile we will provide
  • The first time they run  the SyncBack profile, they will have to tell it to which local folder they want to sync. They can directly point it to MXB  root folder (*), no need for junctions.
  • Click run
  • Wait :)

(*)
If the root of the FTP corresponds to MXB root folder (i.e. it contains folders bikes, tracks etc), the your FTP server wil be able to host bikes, tracks, gear, tyres etc. All at once :)

CSchmied986

So... Did something change with the servers?? Last week i was finally able to get online, at least in the OEM servers, but now everything is just back to 'Synching"... As far as i know i have the most recent "all in 1" bike pack... ???

GDUBMX

anyone up for some serious moto'in tonight? say 3/4 hours from now? im well up for some bar bangin!
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

𝖙𝖋𝖈

BadStar

hmm.. I may actually be free around then!
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

digasro

Gonna be on all day, PM me to ride some supermotos.. got a session up right now
Most active 7Pm- 2Am GMT+00
Sat/Sun: Anytime
Supermoto Fanatic
PM me to host a session and ride