• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:02:28 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Oculus Rift DK2

Started by PiBoSo, April 30, 2015, 10:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teeds

Quote from: PiBoSo on June 17, 2016, 09:08:24 PM
At the moment tracking has no effect on the physics.

If it tracks the head I have a way to make my torso a joystick, hopefully I won't always need it?

Looking forward to finding out if VR in your bikes games make me nauseated  :-[  :)
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

mas3dubb

Hey Pibs.  Is it possible for me to run the beta4 demo with either the DK2 or CV1 right now as I have both?  I can downgrade to any SDK runtime required.  I see the oculus.dll that you posted a long time ago but I'm not sure if that is the version that was used for the Oculus 0.5 runtime and wouldn't work with MX Bikes beta4 demo anyway?  I would love to try it in VR even if it's .8 or .5 runtime and of course I'm anxiously awaiting your 1.3 SDK for Oculus too!!

teeds

I've owned Dirt Rally for a while now and had found it a good driving game but last night I tried it in VR, WOW! The game now takes on a whole new life. The bumps and dips, the cliffs, the people in the crowd, that bush, those trees I crashed into, that climb and so many other things just look real with vivid volume and depth. No words really do it justice and no video I can make will convey the experience.

I have a feeling MXBikes will also greatly benefit with the inclusion of VR. It  should bring a much better feeling of depth and distance to the track obstacles, the sense of height and falling will be exhilarating, probably scary at first  :)

Can't wait for Piboso to release the first VR motorcycle game, even more now....

8)

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Sounds awesome teeds! My only experience with MXB and VR was running it through my Google Cardboard but that was pretty fun lol, very hard with the latency!

StoneRider

Quote from: TheFatController on July 12, 2016, 11:24:47 AM
Sounds awesome teeds! My only experience with MXB and VR was running it through my Google Cardboard but that was pretty fun lol

HOW XD

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Err.. I used some desktop app, think it was called 'Trinus VR'.. You have to plug your phone in via USB, run MXB in windowed mode and it fake 3d streams it to your phone screen.

Worked really well all things considered, it was just laggy and blurry!

Oh, and you set it to free look / mouse look, something like that and you could even look around lol :D a fun experiment.

teeds

Did it give you 3D Fats or was it monoscopic? If it was 3D I imagine that even with the blurriness it would have given you a feeling of depth and height with jumps.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

It was fake stereoscopic/side by side? 3d but good enough to feel like I was on top of a bike.. I only had a go round a few tracks and it felt amazing, but the heat of my LG G3 was starting to melt my eyes lol.

Snappe

Quote from: teeds on July 12, 2016, 11:21:11 AM
I have a feeling MXBikes will also greatly benefit with the inclusion of VR. It  should bring a much better feeling of depth and distance to the track obstacles, the sense of height and falling will be exhilarating, probably scary at first

It does work really well, you really do get a great sense of height. The elevation changes at Maryland for example, are actually much greater than how it looks in 2d.
However there is a bit of a problem with sickness on a VR bike. Essentially, when you are leaning in VR but not IRL, it causes problems.

teeds

Quote from: Snappe on July 12, 2016, 01:39:05 PM
It does work really well, you really do get a great sense of height. The elevation changes at Maryland for example, are actually much greater than how it looks in 2d.

This is what I found in DR, and that has no way near the quick track elevation changes found on a dirt track. Leaving the track and going off a cliff might have been close, a crash during which I could feel my stomach shouting "OH Sh****t!"

Quote from: Snappe on July 12, 2016, 01:39:05 PM
Essentially, when you are leaning in VR but not IRL, it causes problems.

Is this with bike lean or rider lean? Piboso said we had positional tracking for view, so is it the fact that player can sit upright when they turn and lean the bike that causes issues? I'd imagined that with VR mode you'd unlock the first person view to give positional freedom, so is it possible the player could match the movement to avoid this problem?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Or is it possible that head angle could dictate rider lean angle? Or is that just asking for trouble all round?

teeds

Quote from: TheFatController on July 12, 2016, 04:51:05 PM
Or is it possible that head angle could dictate rider lean angle?

I think Piboso said it'll happen eventually. Or, as I've done, you can track your torso and achieve the same thing (I hope).

Snappe

The problem is that in the VR world you are sitting on a bike that is leaning over, but IRL you are sitting upright. So there is a mismatch between your visual upright and your in-ear / brain sense of upright.
The way to avoid it is to keep the ingame view level with the horizon (you can still lean and tilt your head with head tracking of course). However this makes you feel slightly disconnected from the VR bike, which is moving around beneath you.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I think I'd rather take the sickness to be honest..  I'm sure it's like sailing, just gotta get your VR legs  ;D

teeds

Quote from: Snappe on July 12, 2016, 05:38:35 PM
The way to avoid it is to keep the ingame view level with the horizon (you can still lean and tilt your head with head tracking of course).

Be good if we can get access to options regarding this in-game, so we can test them all. I didn't think the lean would be an overall problem as there's no strafing or rotation involved and they seem to be the biggest hurdles related to FPS locomotion and nausea.

Quote from: Snappe on July 12, 2016, 05:38:35 PM
However this makes you feel slightly disconnected from the VR bike, which is moving around beneath you.

The bike moving around beneath you seems about right, sounds like we need that rider lean linked to positional tracking to fix it  ;)