• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:58:23 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Suspension Settings Explained

Started by GDUBMX, May 04, 2015, 07:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDUBMX

May 04, 2015, 07:39:34 PM Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:31:17 AM by gdubmx
Here's is a piece of info kindly made by HornetMax. i thought id repost here for everyone as its very useful to help with that all important setup

Here you will be able to tweak your front and rear suspensions:

Spring:
this is the spring stiffness, i.e. how much force you have to put in order to change the suspension length by a given length. Units are Newton per millimeter (N/mm). In case somebody cares, for the front fork GPB considers that there are two springs (so the total stiffness is the double of the value you set).

Bump and Rebound:
these are parameters of the damper, in charge of attenuating the oscillations due to the spring. There are no units (in practice), on a real bike you typically have a rotating dial and you count the number of clicks.

Bump acts when the suspension is compressed while Rebound acts when the suspension is extended. A high Bump will make the suspension compress slower compared to a low Bump.

A high Rebound will make the suspension extend slower compared to a low Rebound .

Preload:
typically, the spring is compressed by a given amount even when the suspension is fully extended. The Preload allows you to change that amount and can be useful to avoid the suspension hitting its limits when riding (bottoming out, topping out), as the preload effectively changes the sag (i.e. the difference between the fully extended length of the suspension and the length compressed by the weight of the motorcycle and rider).

Oil Level:
Front fork also allow to set the Oil level (in millimeters): in the fork you have some oil  and some air.The air is compressible and hence acts as a spring, but as a non-linear one: the more you compress it, the more its stiffness increases (in general, this is labelled as "progressive" behavior, while the opposite is "degressive").
This effect depends on the initial volume of air: more oil (so less air) and the effect will be greater (i.e. the stiffness will increase more when you compress the fork). Typically the impact of this is sensible only for large compression of the fork.
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

ChrisK

i have a question about rebound

low number means rebound is more open like in rl?

PizzaChet

Yes, higher number means more damping.
Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

HornetMaX

GDUBMX

<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />