• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:17 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

TFC's Track Creation Tutorials

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, September 15, 2015, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philiaN

I will start to work on muddy creek. I have the feeling that Sx tracks are harder to do than national tracks  :-\ i will see

𝖙𝖋𝖈

SX tracks are very difficult in b4, not sure why. A track that worked great in B3 no longer works but no amount of rhythm spacing helps - If you have 2 ways of riding a section, one or the other will work, but not both.

philiaN

April 27, 2016, 09:47:22 PM #47 Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:54:01 PM by philiaN
So, is this right? :)

1. created the heightmap (sketchup)
2. created the track path (gimp)
3. imported the heightmap into l3dt
4. imported the trackpath as texture map (so that i know where the track is)
5. resized the horizontal scale to 1, vertical scale to min. 0 and max. 43.2 and the image size from 2049x2049 to 502x502 (the values from sketchup), so that i have the right measurements in l3dt. I know that the measurements are not important in l3dt. (track.hmf, track.tht)

6. create the first jump?
7. change the image size to 2049x2049 again?
8. do all the other steps, so i can test the jump in mxb?

what i dont understand is, how i can make a jump in sketchup and place it into the heightmap in gimp, because the gradient wouldnt be correct or will color to alpha solve the problem?  :o

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Sure I guess that all makes sense, but some of it seems a bit long winded.

My tutorials were really just meant as 'tricks of the trade' so to speak, I don't use all of them for one track. In fact paleta was done purely in L3DT using the bulldozer, leveller, raise, lower and the smooth.

You will find your own way of doing things, the important thing is learning the basics so you can start working on more advanced things.

Mace-x

Thanks for the geolocation tutorial!  ;D
Is there a way to use google mapĀ“s raw height data?

philiaN

need help again :(

how i do the alpha channel's in gimp?

i tried it like geo's tutorial, but mapviewer and tracked crashs if i load the map/trh

https://youtu.be/NuLa2mmEcBE?t=659

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Mace, not that I've found mate, this is the only way I know how to do it.

Phil, Is your texture 2048 x 2048? Common mistake of using my heightmap image to use as a template to add a mask and it's still 2049 x 2049.

Other than that, just make sure you have an alpha channel enabled by right clicking later and 'add alpha channel' I believe.

philiaN

damn, yeeah that could it be - have to check  :-X

BadStar

When you used l3dt to create Paleta, where u able to add textures from within l3dt..or did you have to go the route of something like gimp/photoshop based on geo's tutorials?
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I did all the textures after the heightmap was done, using gimp. Not based of geo's tutorials though, I could draw long before I could make tracks :P

Sometimes I use L3DT's attributes brush in the 3d editor to draw a track path to use as a mask template though, means you can get really precise edges. You have to generate an attributes map first then you can paint it in 3d, and then export as image to use as template.

BadStar

Quote from: TheFatController on April 29, 2016, 12:58:57 AM
I did all the textures after the heightmap was done, using gimp. Not based of geo's tutorials though, I could draw long before I could make tracks :P

Sometimes I use L3DT's attributes brush in the 3d editor to draw a track path to use as a mask template though, means you can get really precise edges. You have to generate an attributes map first then you can paint it in 3d, and then export as image to use as template.

Good, maybe you answered what I am hoping for... If I sculpt an open world with random trails/jumps throughout and texture it in l3dt, will I be able to get that texture information from 3d over to gimp and not lose all my trails? Based on your reply, it looks like I should be able to do so but repaint them in gimp.
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

If you paint the trails using the attributes brush, make sure you use two colours (one for offtrack, one for trails). You can then export that as an image. In L3DT you use 'export active map layer' meaning the one you have open. When you generate an attributes map you get two tabs, one for your heightmap and one for attributes map. Whichever one you are looking at will be exported.

Load it in gimp, make sure it's 2048 or 4096, create alpha channel, use magic wand to pick the non trail parts and delete them, make the trail parts pure white with no background and you have a mask of all your trails.

You can get fancy by painting ruts, using noise to roughen it up, but that parts up to you ;)

BadStar

Man.. thank you so much for the above info on exporting trails as img.. it has worked like a charm!!

I was losing hope on creating a ride-able track/trail, but between you and phillian's text guide, I am able to ride around on some textured trails in a terrain I made. so thx again!
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

No problem mate.. Looking forward to riding some new tracks!

philiaN

April 30, 2016, 08:14:22 AM #59 Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 08:25:44 AM by philiaN
Hey Fats, i have to ask you again, sry  ::)

Can you explain or show me how you did the terraforming? this is actually the hardest one for me right now. I have some ideas how i could do it, but maybe you can share your experience with me :)

*is there something like a path tool in l3dt?
**and btw you and vortex online - same time? - release date?  ;D