• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:29:01 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

TFC's Track Creation Tutorials

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, September 15, 2015, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadStar

I'm using L3DT & Sketchup

I have finally got the object to show.. but scale is off. (when i export the entire terrain as scenery, the terrain as an object is smaller than the textured version in mapview but on the correct axis)

I'll try again sometime soon and slowly make sure all my scales are matching but I am sure I did the first time.
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

Ok, I may try blender at some point.
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

I moved the terrain, it's lined up.  It has something to do with scale bc its smaller than the map in mapview
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

It's well worth learning blender, once you know it, it's so much easier and quicker.. But learning it does take some time!

For SU like geo says, you can get things scaled by placing objects. I used to import my heightmap mesh, scale it up (guess) 200%, make sure the origin is correct and place a block on the opposite corner. The block will show up somewhere in mapview, so scale your heightmap mesh so the block is roughly in the same spot as it was in mapview, then move the block back to the corner it was in..

You do it a few times, by the end you're making adjustments like scaling the heightmap mesh by 0.05 to get it just right.

A real pain in the arse.

BadStar

Sounds like a pain but that's good news really! I was thinking it was something I was missing somewhere before pulling it into SU. Thanks for the info!
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

Fats,

Thank you for the tutorials. I was able to extract geo data into sketchup and worked it into L3DT.. which u have seen in my pics of track (Springville, Al)..

Issue:
From sketchup, What exactly do we export the file as? I finally got it imported into L3DT but the elevation changes were stacked like mincraft (not smooth)... as a easy fix I just used the "smooth" tool but obviously I'm just exporting or importing incorrectly..
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Awesome that you're getting properly into it! I keep meaning to look at other ways but this one will do for now lol..

The problem being that SU won't export a 16bit image I think. You're basically loosing half the image data. I import the image into l3dt and run the smooth gradient or just smooth it all by hand. You're only going to loose inches in detail at best, then you can start on the track.

BadStar

Quote from: TFC on January 25, 2017, 09:56:35 PM
Awesome that you're getting properly into it! I keep meaning to look at other ways but this one will do for now lol..

The problem being that SU won't export a 16bit image I think. You're basically loosing half the image data. I import the image into l3dt and run the smooth gradient or just smooth it all by hand. You're only going to loose inches in detail at best, then you can start on the track.

Ok, that's exactly what I did.. thx!
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

Would you consider another one of your very simple vids.. ?

1)Import mesh into blender
2)make a tuff block or something easy
3)add a simple texture
4)Import into mapview
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I will think about it.. Problem is covering something very simple in Blender is like opening a can of worms. Yes it's 100% accurate with importing 3d meshes of your heightmap to scale and there's no messing about with guessing, but the process is more long winded, involves l3dt, blender, paint program, blender measurement system, uv unwrapping, basic blender 3d manipulation, navigation.. the list goes on!

BadStar

GOOD LORDIE... I was about to ask some blender questions but not sure i want too

when I import my mesh.obj into blender the heightmap/mesh is standing vertical and attached to the center of the grid plane, how to adjust?.  but now I not sure I feel like the headache. hahah
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

ABlueCow25

this is probably a extremely stupid question, but in the first tutorial when you are rotating the jump straight up. How do you rotate it straight up? i keep just rotating a section of the jump not putting it up right.   

Crucify

OLD MCM track creator here, I just stumbled across this Sim a few days ago.
Outstanding job from what I can tell so far. Who is the actual team or person that brought MX-Bikes to life?
I see we can still use our old height maps from MCM, that's nice. I'll have to dig through my mess and find my old tracks.

Do any of you use TS or Voice of any kind? I'm sure I'm going to drive someone nuts with questions.
I haven't had a chance to over the docs yet, wondering, can we apply material maps over the height map for such things as traction and different substrate?

Thanks,
Crucify
If you're going to pull my leg, pull the middle one

Ruubs

Quote from: Crucify on January 23, 2020, 02:07:44 AMOLD MCM track creator here, I just stumbled across this Sim a few days ago.
Outstanding job from what I can tell so far. Who is the actual team or person that brought MX-Bikes to life?
I see we can still use our old height maps from MCM, that's nice. I'll have to dig through my mess and find my old tracks.

Do any of you use TS or Voice of any kind? I'm sure I'm going to drive someone nuts with questions.
I haven't had a chance to over the docs yet, wondering, can we apply material maps over the height map for such things as traction and different substrate?

Thanks,
Crucify
Good to see other old MCM modders joining the community!

Piboso and Snappe is the team that brought Mx Bikes to live. The rest of us simply like modding!

We've got a Discord channel which is way more active than the forums. Feel free to ask all your questions in there, and if needed PM some of the modders you think might be able to help you out.

Yes we can apply different material maps over the heightmap. There's a couple of different types of soil:
Soil
Soft soil
Compact soil
Sand
Grass
And I think a few others but I'm not quite sure what their exact name is. The ones above are the most used ones though.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: Crucify on January 23, 2020, 02:07:44 AMOLD MCM track creator here, I just stumbled across this Sim a few days ago.

Thanks,
Crucify

Very cool mate, I'm also an old MCM2 track maker. There are a few here, Showtime just arrived too 👍