• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:01:43 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Sounds.. Probably a stupid question!

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, December 04, 2015, 11:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Hey hey..

So I'm having a go at making some sounds, and I'm having trouble (surprise surprise)..

I've got my idle working great, and I've got my first layer working great (throttle open?)

My second layer seems to be fine too (throttle closed?) but for some reason when I accelerate I get both layers at the same time.

This sounds odd.. Any ideas? I can post SCL if needed.

teeds

Ha sounds like you're further than me as you've made a start  ;)

Are you making an SCL file from scratch? I was just going to transplant sounds into aos's bike at first. Did you record the sounds yourself?
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Yeah made a start but only really to get an idea of how engine sounds work.. They are simpler than I thought but at the same time it seems like it could be quite hard to get that perfect sound!

Using MaXSCL with the supplied demo bike then just copying the scl and sounds to the 125 folder. Seems to be working ok so far..

Haven't recorded anything as I don't own a bike or know anyone who does in person.. Using some 'aquired' sound at the moment ;)

Maybe the process / scl is slightly different for mxb.. Will try and look at one of the stock bikes to make sure I'm not missing something.

teeds

Quote from: TheFatController on December 04, 2015, 12:41:09 PM
Using MaXSCL with the supplied demo bike then just copying the scl and sounds to the 125 folder. Seems to be working ok so far..

MaXSCL will not open MXB scl files, maybe you have found that a GPB scl will work in MXB?  :o
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Sorry there is more to it I didn't really explain.. I'm only using MaXSCL as a rough guide, so copying my sounds and the engine.scl in to the demo bike folder, and adjusting the demo bikes cfg to reflect the 125.

It's quick and dirty but it was a very useful way of learning what everything in the scl file does.. Thanks MaX :)

HornetMaX

The ON and OFF layers are played at the same time, with volumes that depend on throttle (and other parameters).
How GPB/MXB does it we don't know (understandably, Piboso is not very willing to disclose that), but what I do in MaxSCL is a simple linear interpolation between the two extremes:

• Throttle fully open: ON layer volume = 100, OFF layer volume = 0
  • Throttle fully close: ON layer volume = 0, OFF layer volume = 100

What GPB/MXB does is surely more sophisticated (and Piboso said he's improved it recently, in his daily dev posts), but what I do in MaxSCL seems to be good enough to allow the modder to play with the .scl without going in and out of GPB/MXB.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Thanks MaX,

It's a tough one to figure out but I think I'm there, at least with what I have in game currently it seems to work for the most part!

pacopastor34

Hi guys!

Do you know a way to listen the default sounds? They are coded in wav but I can't open them with any program!

I'm trying to know what kind of sounds I need record or cut from a recording in order to make a sounds.

Thank in advance, regards!

HornetMaX

Quote from: pacopastor34 on March 11, 2016, 01:25:17 PM
Do you know a way to listen the default sounds? They are coded in wav but I can't open them with any program!
They are encrypted (to protect them from being reused in other games, likely) so you can't play them with just a wav player.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I couldn't find a way. Your best bet would be to download a bike from gp bikes with custom sounds, then you can get an idea. Also use MaXSCL for a visual guide of how they work. In fact I think MaXSCL comes with a demo bike with sounds. Principal is the same.

HornetMaX

Side note: MaxSCL does not currently work with GPB beta8 (I need to do a minor update to cope with changes in the bike's .cfg file).
As soon as I start working on that I'll likely make it compatible with MXB too.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Good news MaX, not that I ever want to touch sounds in MXB ever again!

pacopastor34

Thank you so much Fat!
As soon I get home I will try with GpBikes sounds, if the custombike is from beta7 should work with MaxSCL.. I guess...

Thank u again!

HornetMaX

Just download MaxSCL, there's all the necessary data you need (from a demo GPB bike) inside.

2tfanatic

Quote from: HornetMaX on March 11, 2016, 03:37:37 PM
Just download MaxSCL, there's all the necessary data you need (from a demo GPB bike) inside.

For some reason the 250cc doesn't make any sound in it.