• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:46:17 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Guitars anyone?

Started by Mace-x, December 24, 2015, 03:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruubs

I'm about to throw my damn guitar into every godd*amn wall I see.
Trying the simplest songs ever and I suck dick. Just can't get it. Been trying for WEEKS, but it just isn't working out. Not progressing a single d*mn bit.

Trying these songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1250794981&feature=iv&src_vid=TyIzJ1IThdQ&v=HBUrYf7pEKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKQObIMGQBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANr4H1wClMM

The first link:
I just can't get consistent good slides, and if I can I'm never able to get my fingers in the correct position for the following chord.

Seconds link:
My mind/muscle connection + speed is lacking.

Third link:
Same as second link. Mind/muscle connection + speed is lacking.

I play almost every day around 10/20 sometimes 30 minutes. I don't have much more time than that. I can say I definitely play guitar AT LEAST 4 times a week. Just trying to play every day, even if it's just 5 minutes.

Having fun while playing guitar is key to learning, I know... I love it, but being stuck on the same d*mn level for WEEKS isn't any fun if you can't even play these easy AF songs.

I'm somewhat decent at the last song I had trouble with.

PizzaChet

Patience Grasshopper. You shouldn't expect to quickly overachieve in music. Look for tips and tricks from the pros. Joe Satriani has an exercise that has you hit the same note over and over in different ways until you "own" that note. lol It also teaches you patience in the grueling learning process. Don't ever give up and practice the same songs forever. You're never done learning.
Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

Asdrael

Sandy,

You are overtrying. You will not, as a beginner, nail the second and third song. They require "disconnecting" your left hand fingers which is something that takes time to learn both physically and mentally. The first song (which I find ugly as fuck yeah yeah I went there) has chord slides which are somewhat difficult to have them sound half decent. I would strongly advise dropping those - not only they are frustrating, but you will develop tricks to make them work and that leads to bad habits.

I do not know how you try to learn songs. They are several ways, but as a beginner you have four steps:
- learn the chords, placing your finger and make them ring
- transition one chord to the next, strumming only once
- learn the strumming pattern on a single chord
- mix the strumming pattern with chord transitions.

Obviously, the song gets easier the easier the pattern and the less chords you have. This is why I will forever advise students to learn from the Nirvana Unplugged album when they start out. The first few bars of "About a girl" + the first few bars of "Come as you are" are easy, sound good and teach you two playing styles that you can build on. You can play both very easily (chords + full strumming, or single picking), and progress only on those to more complicated things (accent strumming with string skipping, picking excercices on a pattern, etc).

Hoh and stop listening to Ed Sheeran :p
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

Ruubs

Thanks guys.

Haven't played in 3 days. Will play again tomorrow. I'll try and keep calm and take a step back.

Ruubs

Okay. I've done like you said Asdrael, and I'm feeling some what decent again. Thanks for the help! :)

Below are a list of songs I can already play (sometimes I still have a couple of errors, but overall they're going very good IMO). Remember, I've been playing for a couple of months almost every day now. I still think I'm learning the wrong way, since it just seems to take longer than it should. But hey, at least I have a tiny tiny bit of progression each month.
Chearleader - IMO
Marry you - Bruno Mars
Don't - Ed Sheeran (just the intro, I don't get the strumming part..)
I'm yours - Jason Mraz (without the slides)
About a girl - Nirvana (first bars)

I've been looking for the next step, but I've seriously no idea what I should do. Start with bar chords? Learn some more songs with the same chords (A, E, D, G, C)? I haven't done much songs with SUS chords, but they don't seem too hard. Anyone recommendations for songs with SUS chords?

Since I'm also learning game development, I'm also starting to get into game story telling and music. I've found some acoustic guitar sessions with incredible relaxing and emotional music. That's one of the things I want to learn really bad. Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYpLDvBR5Kc

It's hard to know what I should do next. I want to progress, but don't know what my next step should be. Any help is appreciated.

Asdrael

May 28, 2017, 10:36:50 PM #65 Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 10:38:41 PM by Asdrael
The first few months are brutal :p

Get a teacher? It's a good motivation boost. Just discovered this after almost 20years of strumming ;) I'm playing a completely different genre of music, and since the approach and composition is so different I can take it into my playing. It unlocked a door for me.

Or try to learn a song and play it along with the CD. I really like to force "About a Girl" down peole's throat because the rythm section contains the most important beginner chord shapes, and the solo is just a very simple penta run. I think that was my first music epiphany - Unplugged in NY, About a Girl, play it from beginning to end. Felt like a rock at 16 or so (long hair, and the Unplugged in NY CD has the people clapping at the end too LOL).

Remember tho that you will struggle. And then, something opens up, you "get" something and make great progress for a few weeks and get stuck at a plateau again. It's just the way it goes. You also always have a choice: work on your rythm technique, lead technique, timing, music theory, etc.

Or go the full way and lookup "Steve Vai's 30 hour workout", lose your sanity on it for a few years and come back (yes I did that, and I still use some of this to warmup and work on dexterity).
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

BadStar

Quote from: geofanatec on May 28, 2017, 10:33:36 PM
From this point you are better off taking what you learned and "mastering" it and create a variety of your own things with it.

Then when you get good at that go ahead and learn more.

Hint: As you do this you will find yourself learning more naturally on your own which will make progressing further easier.

Create at least 5 songs of your own from what you know, experiment, then move on.

Yes, take what you have learned and start to play around with it..

It's funny bc a friend of mine started the same time as me.. he went the route of learning specific songs and I went the route of doing my own thing..

He can only play 15 or so songs and doesn't seem to have an ability to make his own songs from what he knows..

I can't play a single song from someone else but can play many many of my own..

Try to be somewhere in the middle
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

Ruubs

Awesome. Thanks again guys!

So what you mean is picking up my guitar and play random chord progressions (obviously has to sound good, but I can figure that out)? Mixing every open chords (the ones I'm most comfortable with) together, get the hardest transitions etc. and just master that?

Just wanna say that I'm enjoying playing again. Just have to take it a little easier.

BadStar

May 31, 2017, 10:10:25 PM #68 Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:13:51 PM by BadStar
Quote from: Sandbiter on May 31, 2017, 09:58:46 PM
Awesome. Thanks again guys!

So what you mean is picking up my guitar and play random chord progressions (obviously has to sound good, but I can figure that out)? Mixing every open chords (the ones I'm most comfortable with) together, get the hardest transitions etc. and just master that?

Just wanna say that I'm enjoying playing again. Just have to take it a little easier.

No.. stay simple and don't forget SIMPLE..then you will naturally expand from there..

So, let's say you are learning a specific chord progression A,C,G or whatever at a specific beat..

All, I am saying is strum A/C/G in your own beat/rhythm. Also, switch from A FULL STRUM A/C/G to SINGLE NOTE, A/C/G..then FULL STRUM..then PLUCK EACH STRING OF THE CHORD - A/C/G

The point is, is that the same chord progression can actually sound very different if you just change it up(many diff songs use the same chords) So, in basics if you know 1 chord progression, you can play many diff sounds/rhythms. Rhythm/Timing is important of course, so whatever you do on A, then do on C, then G..and so on.

btw..ACG is just an example. Do what you already know
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am far from a "good musician" but I do have a really nice way of helping you play music faster.. sadly it requires in-person or video. Since its video or in person only is why I don't mention through text or try to explain it. (but it's an easy, alternative way to learn)
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

May 31, 2017, 10:19:25 PM #69 Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:24:08 PM by BadStar
btw..

YOU NEED A LOOPER or SOMETHING CAPABLE OF PLAYING YOUR MUSIC BACK IN REAL TIME!! (instantly)
If you have to stop playing your guitar to make it loop..it's NOT what I am talking about..(foot pedal)

Please trust me on this and message me when you get one. hahah

I've had a few of this over the years on this page(Boss RC-1/Digi-tech/JamMan)..but now I have the ultimate BOSS RC300 ..its amazeballs but any cheaper version will do and it will do you good! lol
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Looper-Effects-Pedals.gc
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

A few loopers come with drum machine/metronome built in.. you can also download new drum beats and install via USB.

and thats considering the cheaper ones..

my beast mode looper comes with some full bands haha
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

CSchmied986

May 31, 2017, 11:17:22 PM #71 Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:23:47 PM by NorCal 986
Here is my band InVerses! Finishing an album and possibly joining the Warped Tour! ;D
https://soundcloud.com/inversesband/afireinside

Docfumi

Quote from: NorCal 986 on May 31, 2017, 11:17:22 PM
Here is my band InVerses! Finishing an album and possibly joining the Warped Tour! ;D

I like it!!!!!!  ;D
I didn't lose the race, I ran out of laps.

Ruubs

I love the help I get, really helps me a lot!

Trying A/C/G atm. Figuring out different strumming patterns to mix it up and also moving the capo around to change the sound.
What do you mean by 'single note'? I don't really understand that part. I also didn't understand a word from your last sentence about a nice way to help someone learn guitar faster.

I've been looked at some loopers, and i'd love to have one. Does it work with acoustic guitars though? I know it works with electric acoustic, but I have 100% acoustic, nothing electric in it.

Currently I have a metronome app on my smartphone. Sometimes I also use google or some website on the interwebs.
Quote from: NorCal 986 on May 31, 2017, 11:17:22 PM

Sounds good! I like it. 8)

Ruubs

Totally forgot to reply to you Geo!

I definitely will check the video out sometime. Not sure when I'll have the time though, but I'm going to watch it.