• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.
 
November 26, 2020, 10:25:30 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta15b available! :)


Rider / Bike normals

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, January 10, 2016, 02:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Hey hey..

Is it possible to make new normal maps for rider gear? Would be great for the embossed logo look and material type..

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on January 10, 2016, 02:10:34 PM
Hey hey..

Is it possible to make new normal maps for rider gear? Would be great for the embossed logo look and material type..

Adding "rider_n" to the paint should replace the default normal map.

𝖙𝖋𝖈


𝖙𝖋𝖈

Wow.. OK! Makes a huge difference to the look of the rider. Might not matter to some but it's going to be a massive help when skinning! Guess the same works for boots, gloves, helmet and bike? Will find out :D

𝖙𝖋𝖈

January 11, 2016, 04:27:54 PM #4 Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:30:16 PM by TheFatController
Look at that embossed logo pop!!  8)

Will have to be careful, too much and it will look like a set of leathers. For testing I turned the whole skin into a normal with spec map, when actually skinning properly probably best to make a skin, then make a duplicate as a normal template only including shading ripples and the parts you want normals to enhance.

Thanks again!


thisisdef

Quote from: TheFatController on January 11, 2016, 04:27:54 PM
Look at that embossed logo pop!!  8)

Will have to be careful, too much and it will look like a set of leathers. For testing I turned the whole skin into a normal with spec map, when actually skinning properly probably best to make a skin, then make a duplicate as a normal template only including shading ripples and the parts you want normals to enhance.

Thanks again!



New norms! Schweeeeeeeet!
Quote from: PiBoSoIt's actually an ambitious project, and at some point, hopefully sooner than later, it will show its full potential.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

PiBoSo, this works great on rider and gloves, but tried it on boots and it doesn't work right.

I tried to remove normals completely by just adding a very low intensity normal map of a block colour boot with a plain black spec map in alpha channel but the original boot normal appears to remain.

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on January 13, 2016, 08:16:39 PM
PiBoSo, this works great on rider and gloves, but tried it on boots and it doesn't work right.

I tried to remove normals completely by just adding a very low intensity normal map of a block colour boot with a plain black spec map in alpha channel but the original boot normal appears to remain.

Could you please check the name? It should be "boots_n".
Also, please check that the texture sizes are power of 2.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

No prob, have checked. The normal map I made from the texture so it's exactly the same size, and is boots_n.tga. Attached images for reference. Thanks!






𝖙𝖋𝖈

And just for peace of mind I tried making an intense normal with spec map and it shows just fine, just always seems to have the stock one underneath!

GDUBMX

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 13, 2016, 09:30:15 PM
Quote from: TheFatController on January 13, 2016, 08:16:39 PM
PiBoSo, this works great on rider and gloves, but tried it on boots and it doesn't work right.

I tried to remove normals completely by just adding a very low intensity normal map of a block colour boot with a plain black spec map in alpha channel but the original boot normal appears to remain.

Could you please check the name? It should be "boots_n".
Also, please check that the texture sizes are power of 2.
been trying this too Piboso and im having the same issue.its clearly a problem with the model perhaps? any ideas?
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

thisisdef

Quote from: gdubmx on January 13, 2016, 09:48:32 PM
Quote from: PiBoSo on January 13, 2016, 09:30:15 PM
Quote from: TheFatController on January 13, 2016, 08:16:39 PM
PiBoSo, this works great on rider and gloves, but tried it on boots and it doesn't work right.

I tried to remove normals completely by just adding a very low intensity normal map of a block colour boot with a plain black spec map in alpha channel but the original boot normal appears to remain.

Could you please check the name? It should be "boots_n".
Also, please check that the texture sizes are power of 2.
been trying this too Piboso and im having the same issue.its clearly a problem with the model perhaps? any ideas?

Make a new rider model  ;D
Quote from: PiBoSoIt's actually an ambitious project, and at some point, hopefully sooner than later, it will show its full potential.

𝖙𝖋𝖈


𝖙𝖋𝖈

Pib: Is there anything to this or Does it work fine for you? Possibly something I'm doing wrong? Would it help if I uploaded my paint?

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on January 14, 2016, 10:39:28 AM
Pib: Is there anything to this or Does it work fine for you? Possibly something I'm doing wrong? Would it help if I uploaded my paint?

The issue is under investigation.
Hopefully it will be fixed in Beta4.