• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.
 
September 21, 2020, 09:01:43 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta14e available! :)


Menu Environment

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, January 28, 2016, 12:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on January 30, 2016, 06:08:48 PM
Weird one.. I discovered that if you give the wall object the DECAL prefix, and any other objects that have too much shadow it totally excludes them from having ANY shadow even realtime (or whatever shadow is applied after compiling). The only downside is that then you have no shadows, but a few quick adjustments to textures and it's not too noticeable!  8)

PiBoSo: The only problem I'm having now is when you add a normal texture to an object (even one that's not under the DECAL group) it crashes the menu.. Any idea why? I've had normals working in the bg.map as you can see in the above previous screenshots.. Not a big deal mind you..

The "DECAL_" prefix should force shadows even on objects that are not collidable.
Do you mean that you cannot assign a normal map?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Strange.. As you can see from the screenshots none of the walls (or toolbox on wheels / boxes) have any shadows even the ones that you can't remove. They all use the DECAL prefix.

The problem I'm having is as soon as I add a normal map with a .shd I now get a crash when entering the menu. A few of the specific points:

1. I'm not using a normal map on any textures on objects using the 'DECAL' prefix.
2. I've added normals fine before as you can see from my previous screenshots. Using a normal with spec, the right size and using a SHD text file.
3. It loads fine in Mapview.

This really isn't a major thing, probably me doing something wrong but it's driving me nutts. But in case it is a 'thing' it's worth me pointing it out :)

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on January 30, 2016, 09:30:40 PM
Strange.. As you can see from the screenshots none of the walls (or toolbox on wheels / boxes) have any shadows even the ones that you can't remove. They all use the DECAL prefix.

The problem I'm having is as soon as I add a normal map with a .shd I now get a crash when entering the menu. A few of the specific points:

1. I'm not using a normal map on any textures on objects using the 'DECAL' prefix.
2. I've added normals fine before as you can see from my previous screenshots. Using a normal with spec, the right size and using a SHD text file.
3. It loads fine in Mapview.

This really isn't a major thing, probably me doing something wrong but it's driving me nutts. But in case it is a 'thing' it's worth me pointing it out :)

Objects with the "DECAL_" prefix receive shadows, but don't cast them.
The normal map problem is difficult to debug without the possibility to test the model.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 30, 2016, 09:51:22 PM
Objects with the "DECAL_" prefix receive shadows, but don't cast them.
The normal map problem is difficult to debug without the possibility to test the model.

Just a little update, I've managed to get normal maps working, not sure if it was something to do with my local environment as it seems like a bit of a lottery whether I can get into game or not using a custom bg.map. Using the same bg.map one day it will load fine the next day it will give me crashes and I have to remove it - Try again later and it works just fine.

I've messed with my launch settings for MXB making sure it always uses 'High Performance NVidia Graphics Processor' and it seems to always work currently. Again, not sure why as before I was right clicking and choosing that option anyway to launch. Oh well!!  :D

𝖙𝖋𝖈

PiBoSo:

I saw that in the changelog the ability to alter the lighting has been implemented, but how is it done? I added an .amb file to the misc folder but all it did was make the environment pitch black (very dark, could still make out the rider and bike just!)

Thanks!

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on April 14, 2016, 04:07:24 PM
PiBoSo:

I saw that in the changelog the ability to alter the lighting has been implemented, but how is it done? I added an .amb file to the misc folder but all it did was make the environment pitch black (very dark, could still make out the rider and bike just!)

Thanks!

The file bg.amb must be created in the misc/bg/ folder.

light
{
direction
{
x = -0.6
y = 1
z = -0.4
}
color
{
red = 1
green = 1
blue = 1
}
}
ambient
{
red = 0.5
green = 0.5
blue = 0.5
}

These are the default values.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Thanks! I'd tried other things instead of clearsky like 'menu' but didn't think of just light..

chriswattsmx192

This game is already on another level... :o

CSchmied986

Hope you upload some of those when you get'em figured out FAT!  ;)

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Will do :)

PiBoSo: Me and Damien noticed that when you view the bike on the practice track, the handlebars are turned to one side. How is this done? Can it be done in the menu? Can it be done on any track?

PiBoSo

April 18, 2016, 11:33:03 PM #25 Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:41:28 PM by PiBoSo
Quote from: TheFatController on April 18, 2016, 09:33:19 PM
PiBoSo: Me and Damien noticed that when you view the bike on the practice track, the handlebars are turned to one side. How is this done? Can it be done in the menu? Can it be done on any track?

The steer can be set in the "photo" section of the track INI file: -1 = right, 1 = left.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

April 18, 2016, 11:52:49 PM #26 Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:26:18 AM by TheFatController
Wonderful thanks..  ;D

The example track doesn't come with a photo section in it's track.ini.. What other commands can be used?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Nope, sorry, can't get it to work ???

Can you paste the code?

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on April 19, 2016, 12:35:50 AM
Nope, sorry, can't get it to work ???

Can you paste the code?

You could copy from the practice track, that has the photo section  ;)

[photo]
long = 74
lat = 42
angle = 90
steer = -1

𝖙𝖋𝖈