• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

June 23, 2024, 09:54:48 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Collisions and Resets

Started by teeds, March 04, 2016, 12:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teeds

As we can run with no collisions, could we be given the option to turn off the reset delay when other riders are coming? Seems a bit superfluous to have it without collisions. Maybe just when collisions are off there's no delay would suffice.

Not sure if anyone would want this to stay on regardless...... ? Most seem to find it frustrating when you get stuck for so long but I don't think with collisions on anyone could say it's a bad idea, but without, maybe.  :)
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

𝖙𝖋𝖈

+1, I did wonder what I was waiting for as collisions were off.. Should only be applied when collisions are active.

BadStar

Yes please! Disable when no collision.
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

PiBoSo

It may be off-putting to have a bike appear in front of you all of a sudden, maybe in a tricky section, though.

teeds

Fair point Pibs, but I for one would be willing to accept this as the lesser of the 2 evils, as it were, in this mode only. I also suspect it would serve to reduce the phenomena known as "Rage Quiting!"  ;D

BadStar

The reset timing could use a little tweaking for sure.. not fun being in a poll position, fall and wait on every rider on track to slowly pass.. maybe it should be a flat timer no matter where you wreck. 3 sec no matter what or something, to simulate getting up and back on bike.

Sometimes I see a guy wreck in front of me and he is reset by the time I get to him..but if you fall in front of the pack you wait til all 8-12 riders go by, even if the pack if pretty stretched.

Then again this may be fine and/or i just need to get better and never wreck..ever
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

HornetMaX

On GPB forum we discussed this reset/respawn thing a lot (and by a lot I mean an awful lot).

My personal opinion (shared by others, but not by all) is that after a crash, you should respawn immediately, but at the point where the bike stops (not where your crash started). Just like in reality.

This way you have no "bike appearing in front of you all of a sudden" problem and you can restart immediately.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

MaX, I think I agree. This would probably be the only logical way to improve it without causing knock on problems.

It would of course have to allow for objects, I.e if you crash into a fence or a bale it puts you maybe a foot or two away so you don't get stuck, and it would be up to track creators to make it harder to completely leave the section of track you were on using bales / fences etc.. Like stock tracks.

I know it's not a poll but it gets my vote..

What's to stop pib adding respawn options? We could have the ability to reset where the bike lands, reset on centerline, and maybe timer settings too?

HornetMaX

Quote from: TheFatController on March 21, 2016, 10:46:18 AM
MaX, I think I agree. This would probably be the only logical way to improve it without causing knock on problems.

It would of course have to allow for objects, I.e if you crash into a fence or a bale it puts you maybe a foot or two away so you don't get stuck,
Object are not an issue as if they are solid, you can't crash into them. And if they are not solid and you crash into them, then you can get out of them the way you went in. Unless you enter into a building from a non-collidable roof :)

and it would be up to track creators to make it harder to completely leave the section of track you were on using bales / fences etc.. Like stock tracks.
Yes, that was a concern raised: potentially you could end up behind a fence, with no way to go back on track.
Not a big deal for me as I consider that this is more a matter of proper track design (i.e. put fences but put also openings along the fences).
Even in the worst case, if you land behind a 2m fence, forcing you to go back to pits doesn't sound to bad to me.

What's to stop pib adding respawn options? We could have the ability to reset where the bike lands, reset on centerline, and maybe timer settings too?
No idea, but personally I'm not a big fan of "options everywhere". If there's a good solution, let it be.

Niko Mouk

It's also right that if you don't have to wait you aren't penalized when you crash, that's not good. A crash should be a waste of time for you to try not to crash and ride safe.
Owner of MyMXB and MXBikes-Shop

teeds

March 21, 2016, 04:48:08 PM #10 Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:03:54 PM by teeds
If we got the system where a bike has to be ridden back to track from where it landed as suggested in GPB, i'd be happy. Instant re-spawns would not be realistic all the time, but with some crashes IRL (low speed ones) riders can get going again within 1-2 seconds, other riders coming or not. There are rules governing how a rider must safely re-enter a track that apply to all racing, sim or not. If a racer crashes IRL and has not left the track, the responsibility of avoidance lies with all others, not the crashed rider. So entering the track with others on it and avoiding a rider that's crashed are part of the experience.

Ignoring injury and bike damage. Generally, not always I know, a riders crash recovery time (time from dirt to seat) depends largely on how fast they we're traveling. It takes time to find which way is up again, find your bike and possibly start it. To kind of simulate this couldn't we have the rider reset delay based on speed at which the rider parted company from the bike? Like this -

Crash Speed ---- Reset Delay
<10mph               3 secs
<20mph               5 secs
<30mph               8 secs
<40mph               10 secs
>40mph               15 secs

Total guess work for times but you get the idea.

Niko Mouk

Quote from: teeds on March 21, 2016, 04:48:08 PM
Crash Speed ---- Reset Delay
<10mph               3 secs
<20mph               5 secs
<30mph               8 secs
<40mph               10 secs
>40mph               15 secs

Not sure about values but the idea is good.
Owner of MyMXB and MXBikes-Shop

HornetMaX

Could make sense and doesn't look hard to implement.

BadStar

Sounds like some good ideas floating here..

+1 for respawn at last bike location
+1 variated respawn times but would prefer it based on distance from rider to bike after crash.
+1 more ideas to +1
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Distance from rider to bike is a good one, good thinking mate.