• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:00:05 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

why cheat when hotlapping

Started by -aGy-, March 13, 2016, 07:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fangel

Quote from: JohnnyMac on March 15, 2016, 07:49:09 PM
If someone skips/cuts a checkpoint, does the game not recognize this situation? Game code should be there to not except any lap time if this occurs.

What if you come into a corner with too much speed to turn and you fly over the corner and crash? Then the whole lap would technically be over but you still have to finish it in order to start the "new lap".

EDIT: Didn't see Hornet's post.

BadStar

I think the point is...

**PiBoSo's tracks are already set up correct and you will not be able to cheat/cut track.. not including a crash. (fences + penalties) (near impossible to cut)

*User made tracks may not have everything set up yet or correctly to naturally monitor cutting/cheating.
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

Niko Mouk

You're gonna be crazy with all tracks I'll released. Cheaters call me "alcatraz" on mxs after opening my tracks in the editor and seeing timing gates (checkpoints) everywhere.
This is stupid yes but the human is stupid.
Hey ! If you like my work, you can 💰 donate on Paypal, thank you !

teeds

Quote from: Niko Mouk on March 17, 2016, 01:48:17 PM
You're gonna be crazy with all tracks I'll released. Cheaters call me "alcatraz" on mxs after opening my tracks in the editor and seeing timing gates (checkpoints) everywhere.

;D bring the Alcatraz tracks please
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

HornetMaX

Checkpoints are all good for hotlapping, but they do cause an issue when racing: if you miss one, your lap will not be counted.

On GPB forum we have proposed to disregard checkpoints during races, but I don't know if this is included in GPB b8 and MXB b4.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

As in real life if a rider gets forced off the track and has to ride some off track before reaching a place to re enter I don't think there's a penalty..

I.e Supercross.

Could be wrong on the no penalty part but I've never seen anyone forced off in supercross actually gain advantage by having to ride along the side of a section.

teeds

In SX they seem to issue penalties if someone gains an advantage when they leave track, whatever the reason.

Like Max said it works great for hotlapping but getting laps removed in a race is not at all desirable. As suggested ideally we just flag the bad laps and deal with offenders post race. Even with no flagging possible I'd rather run with no lap removal and just watch all riders for cutting in replays, so like in real SX we could judge if someone gained an advantage or not.

So maybe two versions of each track then for a quick fix? ;) Hotlap tracks and Racing tracks, the later having no checkpoints.

Niko Mouk

Quote from: HornetMaX on March 17, 2016, 02:24:33 PMif you miss one, your lap will not be counted.

Wrong, you take a penalty defined in the track editing step.

teeds

Quote from: Niko Mouk on March 17, 2016, 04:15:56 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on March 17, 2016, 02:24:33 PMif you miss one, your lap will not be counted.

Sounds good Niko, things can be adjusted so if a rider misses a checkpoint during a race they will not have that lap discounted? Do you know what the other  penalties are?

HornetMaX

Quote from: Niko Mouk on March 17, 2016, 04:15:56 PM

Could be, it may have been changed since I looked into that.
But still, you probably don't want to take 50 x 10 sec penalties for missing a turn (with the "alcatraz" strategy), so ...

BTW I'm not sure, but there may be the same issue with missing an intermediate (split).

Niko Mouk

A split is not a checkpoint and we (have to) set it large. That's more, IMO, to know where are you too slow when doing qualifies.

A checkpoint is here to prevent cheaters. You can set the penalty you want and it has to be defined with a math formula I did for mxsimulator that calculate the average of time you gain by cutting this checkpoint.

HornetMaX

As you want, but in real life there's no math formula.

Cut when hotlapping --> lap time not counted
Cut during race --> up to race direction

Niko Mouk

uhm... Real life...
You are right on this point but missing a lap in race is not possible when you felt or lost control, no ? There is always this line between guys loosing controls and cheaters, it's so hard.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Niko Mouk on March 17, 2016, 09:50:25 PM
uhm... Real life...
You are right on this point but missing a lap in race is not possible when you felt or lost control, no ? There is always this line between guys loosing controls and cheaters, it's so hard.
That's why for races it should be better to have checkpoints generating no action (except maybe flagging a lap/rider): race direction will decide what to do.

PiBoSo

Quote from: HornetMaX on March 17, 2016, 02:24:33 PM
Checkpoints are all good for hotlapping, but they do cause an issue when racing: if you miss one, your lap will not be counted.

On GPB forum we have proposed to disregard checkpoints during races, but I don't know if this is included in GPB b8 and MXB b4.

During a race a missed checkpoint should add a time penalty ( set by the track maker ) to the overall race time, but the lap should still be counted.