• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:12:59 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Pictures of the tracks!

Started by MxMonster725, April 21, 2014, 01:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruubs

Aight. Well, at least that's good then. I'm at 8 now but heightmap and masks are all 4k atm.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

4k always worked fine for me. I can't remember having online issues but we weren't playing online much at the time.

We thought the 4k textures might have contributed to the problems we had in the GTX championship, but we had the same problems on tracks with 2k textures.

On the 4k heightmap front, I don't think it should matter. Gdub had a problem with replays or something but PiBoSo said they were supported so should work. Once the netcode is fixes we can check properly.

On the 4k textures front, I won't bother doing them again unless the track is huge. Personally I much prefer the look of a deformed track with well set up deform layers than one with painted ruts. Again I don't think it should matter too much once the netcode is fixed.

For the record, MXBC Compound has 4k textures and so does Paleta v2.

Ruubs

Good to know.

I think Damien and I will go for a 2k heightmap and try the 4k masks. We could make another version with 2k or even 1k masks as well though, but we're really trying to make our track look stunning.

Today I did a lot of texture work, and I also added ruts. As you said though, it's probably better to set the texture layers up correctly and start with a groomed track to begin with. We'll try some things out ;)

Ruubs

4k textures don't necesarily mean more tiling. Just more detail overall. Though, I don't think 4k textures are worth having either. 4K masks however are far superior over 1k if you ask me.

The current masks I'm making have bulldozer marks, which look decent in 4k. If I make my mask 1k, it'll just look like one dark line.

philiaN

But isnt that more like a problem of downscaling ? :D If you had started the mask project with 1k it should be fine ?

Ruubs

This is 4k. Imagine this being 1k. Doubt it'll work.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Yeah sorry I wasn't clear. Anytime I said 4k textures I was referring to masks.

The only reason I ever used 4k masks was for ruts.

Ruubs

Quote from: ℊℯℴ on October 27, 2017, 11:01:50 PM
I seriously doubt the mask putting a drain on performance (even online).

If thats the case I'm going to start making 8k maps. 8)

giopanda

nothing much to show about Lierop..
basic terrain is done, i just have to add a shitload of bumps and then objects!
they're driving me crazy, as you can see they're placed in blender and they also appear in game scaled and placed correctly, but with no texture and not double faced as they should (fences are just a plane connecting 2 posts. i can see them, but the faces are visible only on one side, no matter what i do i can't make them work..an then the textures..)
anyone can help me please?

Mace-x

looking great!
Sadly no, i cant help, havent learned object placing yet hahaha
Good luck Gio!  ;D

Asdrael

It has to do with the game not handling double faces I think. You need to fiddle in Blender to double your faces and tecture (or is it an export option?)

And regarding roughness -less is more. Do it lightly on the base layer, game deformation will do the rest. In particular if you include extra roughness in the deformation layer.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Blender doesn't really do two sided planes. From the 3d viewport press 'N', then scroll down that right hand side toolbar and enable 'backface culling'. That will then show you the one side that really exists.

Also, if your banner face is on the wrong side, you can try recalculating normals with the object selected press 'ctrl + n' or you can 'invert normals' from the bottom left menu.

Also, you might have unwrapped and mapped your texture, but make sure you actually apply the material to the object in the materials and texture menus on the right.

Hope that helps :)

Ruubs

Oh man that track's gonna be so good! :D

giopanda

aaand it works!

it's so frustrating when after 2 days of trial and error (or error and error) you realize textures weren't exported to the .edf because in a different folder..

anyway, super quick update on lierop

GDUBMX

nice work Gio, cant wait to shred!! i just hope beta 7 brings that super deep sand traction feeling, at the moment every surface just feels like ice
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />