• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:18:25 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Noob's Questions and Comments

Started by yzmxer608, March 24, 2016, 08:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yzmxer608

New to MX Bikes, long time mxs player (since around late 2008ish) and before that MvA on PC and mcm2.  I played one of the older betas a year or so back, got frustrated and didn't play until beta 4 came out.  Played it a few times and finally bought a license tonight.  Mainly just playing the MXB Club track, got down to a 55.9 on the 250f.  I'll start with a few questions I have then comments:

1. When I start the game it turns Windows aero off/changes theme in Win7 64 Home Premium.  Any way to stop this?  I think it reduces the color bit depth too, my wallpaper on my second monitor has noticeable color banding when the game is open.

2. Is there some sort of formula/guideline/rule of thumb for replay length vs. buffer size?  I think I have mine set to 200MB (btw the mxbikes.ini documentation topic says the value is in megabytes, but I believe it is actually in bytes: http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=198.0) and has saved every lap in a session after I set that (up to 20ish laps?).  Just wondering once multiple bikes come into play how much more buffer size is needed.

3. Right now I'm using 17% direct lean and 87% stability help. I've gradually reduced the direct lean as I've gotten more comfortable.  Is direct lean the most applicable way to have a tighter turning radius?  I often find myself at full lock wishing I could turn tighter.

Comments:
-I'd love to see the movement of the 2nd first person camera on the 1st first person camera (camera move with the rider).  I really like the angle of the first camera, but dislike how it doesn't move with the rider.  I'm so used to mxs where the camera is in that angle (very close to the default camera) and also moves with the rider, I feel like I can't tell what the rider is doing even though I'm telling him to move back/forward etc.

-I've had multiple game crashes randomly for no apparent reason, I'll try to keep better details from here on out.

-I don't use the rider lean hardly ever.  I have my controller setup to use it but I don't really notice a difference when I use it in turns (either way; leaning into the turn or opposite the turn to mimic weighing the outside peg).  I can't whip/scrub yet so I don't use it in the air.  I just tend to believe it could hep in some situations to save an oversteer moment or something, it's just I don't feel a difference in handling when I use it.

I'll probably think of more but that's it for now  ;).

GDUBMX

Hey man and welcome! i'll try to shed some light on your questions :D

1.not too sure how to fix your windows issue,perhaps its a multi display issue with the game? hopefully piboso can chime in.

2.in beta 3 i had a 500mb buffer and it would playback a shitload of laps, but the multiplayer was so broken in that beta that i never recorded more than 1 bike. however, ive changed the values of the ini file in beta 4 and found it works great on stock tracks but, crashes when i try to load Fat's 4k textured tracks and just hangs on the loading screen. i did notify Piboso but never had a reply.

3.we've messed around with controls and settings to achieve a tighter turning circle but found that nothing really helps, including shortening the swingarm length to 0. sadly you just gotta lean forward while turning for the tightest turn which isnt that tight haha. just come in way WIIIIDDDEE!

As for rider lean, i only use forward/back lean and opposite lean when i whip.  Fat's has some great tips for whips, i believe its "auto rider and bike lean off" "auto dab off". hit the face, turn bike left and lean rider right. i always get better whips standing up too. but its each to their own really. :D i got some real good settings at the moment for the 250f if you wanna tweak your setup. cheers and i hope this helped.

<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

teeds

Welcome yzmxer608

Quote from: yzmxer608 on March 24, 2016, 08:36:47 AM
3. Right now I'm using 17% direct lean and 87% stability help. I've gradually reduced the direct lean as I've gotten more comfortable.  Is direct lean the most applicable way to have a tighter turning radius?  I often find myself at full lock wishing I could turn tighter.

Most normally go the other way with DL, start low and get higher but it's subjective though and makes no difference to full lock.

Quote from: yzmxer608 on March 24, 2016, 08:36:47 AM
Comments:
-I'd love to see the movement of the 2nd first person camera on the 1st first person camera (camera move with the rider).  I really like the angle of the first camera, but dislike how it doesn't move with the rider.  I'm so used to mxs where the camera is in that angle (very close to the default camera) and also moves with the rider, I feel like I can't tell what the rider is doing even though I'm telling him to move back/forward etc.

If you like the 2nd 1st person view best you can adjust things to get it like the 1st view with FOV and pitch changes.

:)
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I find the more direct lean the more control and ride with it at 100%.. Like teeds says it makes no difference to lock angle but I do find it allows for more controlled cornering, more responsive and predictable. It's also worth noting that PiBoSo said something about how beta 4 has been tuned to work best with 100% stability. Don't feel like you need to lower it just for the sake of being able to ride in more of a hardcore mode, as it's all about having fun.

Mace-x

Sup yz, nice to see you here, welcome to the forum!  :)

All your question have been answered so i have no more input here, i ride with 80 stability and 20 direct lean, oppossed to mxs where stability was better at 0, i´ve found that this game in particular works better that way, at least for me.

yzmxer608

Thanks for the replies guys!

I actually was lowering the direct lean because it felt like I had more control the lower it was haha.  I just don't like how higher direct lean makes the bike stand up by itself more, I have a setup in mxs that mimics a lower direct lean setup in mxb so I'm just more used to it that way. 

If the second first person view was lower it'd be great, I tried messing with the pitch (even values outside of the slider range using the ini) but couldn't get it to a point where I really liked it.  The 2nd view is just too high and going around corners it moves a lot more since it's further away (currently using FOV at 90, tilt 0, pitch 0, and corner anticipation turned off using the first 1st person view)

Something that I found with the rider lean is when you lean left he leans left but pushes the bike right.  The bike being pushed the opposite way seemed to have a much larger effect on the motion than the rider moving, so I reversed the buttons for left and right (left lean is on the right side, right lean is on the left) now it actually feels like it's moving the correct way when I use a specific direction  :o.  Kind of weird but it feels a lot better in the air imo.

Lots of instances I wish I could flat track/countersteer better, most of the time I do a 180 when I want to get the back end out a little.  Only aides I have on are auto dab and auto tire change.

HornetMaX

Quote from: yzmxer608 on March 24, 2016, 08:55:16 PM
I just don't like how higher direct lean makes the bike stand up by itself more
It doesn't stand up by itself: it stands up because you put your joystick to middle. With direct lean on high values, the bike angle is dictated by the stick position: it does what you tell it to do.

BadStar

March 24, 2016, 09:21:23 PM #7 Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:31:36 PM by BadStar
I'm confused about the  first 1st person camera move request.. I see this request multiple times.

I use the 1st, 1st person view.. the camera sticks to the rider and my bike moves seperate.

Is this what u want? If so, just turn on corner anticipation and bam.. it seems to free the cam from the bike (not just for corners)

My personal pref:
Stability: 100%
Direct Lean: 100%

I personally think stability should be 100% and not an option to adjust..I say that because putting stab at 0 causes the bike to fall incredibly easy and IRL bikes are actually incredibly stable. They want to stay up. Most new riders hit trees not slip and fall..bc the bike wants to stay upright.

I can see where directlean is up for debate. I use 100% bc bikes like to stand up unless u make them lean so I prefer to "make" it lean.
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

yzmxer608

I see what you mean about the direct lean, I must just subconsciously move the stick back out of habit then.

BadStar, I don't have that happen when the corner anticipation is on, the camera doesn't move fore/aft with the rider when I move him. 

BadStar

March 24, 2016, 11:23:29 PM #9 Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:28:59 PM by BadStar
Yes, that is my bad.. cam doesn't move forward/back.. sorry!!

Now I understand what your requesting and your right..it does not move with rider lean.. i guess for now corner anticipate is the most unlocked from the bike as possible>?

I did notice that if I put my fov to 100% that I am able to counter steer/whip/save from washing etc much better because I can see the bike more in the 1st, 1st person view..(either way this doesn't solve your issue)
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

And direct lean % is definitely per user, so stick with what you like! I am guessing MxSim riders are accustom and will prefer lower dl %...

I think new riders to the series and/or come from games like MxVsAtv/MxGp, you should use 100%direct lean.
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

interesting geo... All arcade mx games play like as if direct steer is at 100% but its like snappe's crazy control scheme.. u just never know what people like!

I guess I meant that I "recommend" direct lean 100% as a "starting point" for someone who isn't sure and comes from arcade racers..

I think direct lean will always be at the debates because its simply preference.
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

GDUBMX

Yeah I agree with geo,  I'm virtually the same setup.  25% direct lean (because that's what I got use to in beta 1) 80% stability. You can't even compare the steering/ leaning physics of this to mxgp or mva, it's really it's own entity.its more similar to mx sim I think. Imo direct lean at 100% is horrible haha. Weird have we all ride pretty decent but have such different setups.
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

HornetMaX

What setting you use/like is mostly dictated by what you've been playing before MXB or, if nothing, by what you've started MXB with.
Going from a setting to a significantly different one requires quite a long period of adaptation (weeks): if you want to try, try to move the lean input from one stick to the other ...

BadStar

True max.

And yea gdub, crazy how it is always good close racing and everyone seems to be all over the settings spectrum!

I also agree to not compare mxb in anyway really to arcade mx..it was just a note that arcades steer similiar to direct lean 100% as when u let go of the stick, the bike stands up.
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime