• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:14:16 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Track editing questions/help

Started by Ruubs, April 24, 2014, 01:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

The basic problem is that faces mapped with textures with alpha channel have sorting problems.
So the final look depends on the draw order, that is not always correct.
The 3D grass is rendered after the terrain, but the blades are not sorted, hence the issues.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Thanks for explaining.. Makes me happy that I'm not losing it!

So if that's the case, what are the secrets behind PiBoSo stock tracks trees?

PiBoSo

October 11, 2015, 10:23:49 PM #107 Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:25:34 PM by PiBoSo
Quote from: TheFatController on October 11, 2015, 09:03:20 PM
Thanks for explaining.. Makes me happy that I'm not losing it!

So if that's the case, what are the secrets behind PiBoSo stock tracks trees?

The trunk is made of polygons, and the texture of the leaves has the prefix "CK_" in the name.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

But isn't the principle the same? Mine have the CK prefix so I don't get the other ordering problem, but I'm not sure I see the relevance of the trunk being involved..

I will give it a try ;)

MUD

I think the problem may be the order which you organised the faces. They should be organised Clockwise, or Counter-Clockwise (depending on how the DX Component is set up)

If the sides are organised 1 3 2 4 it could cause some Rendering problems.

Where they should be organised 1 2 3 4 or 4 3 2 1.

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on October 11, 2015, 10:30:36 PM
But isn't the principle the same? Mine have the CK prefix so I don't get the other ordering problem, but I'm not sure I see the relevance of the trunk being involved..

I will give it a try ;)

The principle is different, because the trunk uses a second texture with no alpha channel, so there are no sorting issues.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: PiBoSo on October 12, 2015, 12:47:51 PM
Quote from: TheFatController on October 11, 2015, 10:30:36 PM

I will give it a try ;)

The principle is different, because the trunk uses a second texture with no alpha channel, so there are no sorting issues.

Tried this this morning with no luck..  Made a trunk, 2 planes crossed over the trunk then intersected everything so it was all one, deleted the remaining points left over inside the trunk so everything was connected. Same problem.

Although interestingly this time the problem only happens from certain distances, i.e it looks OK close up but zoom out enough and the edge problem pops in.

Also inspected some of the trees on the example track and can't see a trunk on some of them, just 2 planes.. They seem to work just fine.  :(

MUD, not sure how to organise faces in SketchUp or Blender..

Sorry, not intentionally being a pain in the arse, just have a couple of tracks ready to go bar trees!

Snappe

TFC I don't think it's possible to solve this problem entirely. If there is terrain or a background behind the trees it will look fine, but against the sky I think there will always be the 'halo' effect if you look close enough.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

OK, I guess it's one of those things.

Just out of interest what do you guys use for modelling?

3d modelling isn't my thing so thanks to both of you for bearing with me lol.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

So just noticed the changelog on the B4 WIP thread has either changed, or I missed this when I first read it..

Quote from: PiBoSo on August 02, 2015, 09:24:23 PM
fix: improved alpha mipmapping

Will this improve or help the sorting problem at all?

And if so, will I need to enable mipmapping on my textures in Blender before exporting for the improved alpha mipmapping to take effect?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Me again lol.. Feels like I'm the only one making tracks!

Just wondering if there is a way to completely exclude an object from receiving and casting shadows / shading. For example a flat light glare texture.

I know the SKIDS prefix stops an object casting shadows, but the object still receives shading as set in the .amb file..

thanks.

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on October 21, 2015, 01:31:22 AM
Me again lol.. Feels like I'm the only one making tracks!

Just wondering if there is a way to completely exclude an object from receiving and casting shadows / shading. For example a flat light glare texture.

I know the SKIDS prefix stops an object casting shadows, but the object still receives shading as set in the .amb file..

thanks.

At the moment it's not possible.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

No problem.. Guess the additional lighting in a future version will help.

Currently I've got around it by adjusting the sun position, ambient light and model textures, and really not far off what I was going for!

PizzaChet

Watch yo head! I would've thought it was a smaller building if it wasn't for your sick whip way down there lol. Perspective trick.
Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Me.. Again.. Sorry lol.

Is it possible to use more than one prefix when doing objects? I would test but don't have a lot of free time currently.

For example: SHAD_WLLCONC_wall1