• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:37:56 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Thoughts on paying for content?

Started by PizzaChet, May 24, 2016, 08:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PizzaChet

It's a real lively topic over at MX Sim. Some are or have charged up to $100 USD for a bike model. Some have a fair price for doing custom gear or skins, but I know it's still taboo in here as far as I can see. Have any of you creators considered charging? If not, why? Pro's and Con's. Just want to hear the consensus from this community.
Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

BadStar

I would say, Passion.. the passionate players are here and enjoy sharing more than making a business out of it. I am sure one day their will be a 2 part community, shared and paid.

Go ahead and charge.. it just won't sell for a long time, I don't think.

I do wish everyone would put a donate tab up just in case.. I donate a few bucks at random and will continue.
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I think paying for content could be damaging for the community and the sim right now.. I'm guessing MXS only started seeing paid for content once the following was big enough to allow for it. As MXB has a relatively small following currently with both creators and players, as soon as someone starts putting paid for content up most other creators will probably follow suit and new creators would surely  start to appear out the woodwork, newcomers could be put off at the thought of having a sim they have to pay regularly to enjoy so it could really limit growth..

Just my opinion anyway, I'm sure others might see it a different way maybe?

GDUBMX

Quote from: TheFatController on May 24, 2016, 10:26:13 PM
I think paying for content could be damaging for the community and the sim right now.. I'm guessing MXS only started seeing paid for content once the following was big enough to allow for it. As MXB has a relatively small following currently with both creators and players, as soon as someone starts putting paid for content up most other creators will probably follow suit and new creators would surely  start to appear out the woodwork, newcomers could be put off at the thought of having a sim they have to pay regularly to enjoy so it could really limit growth..

Just my opinion anyway, I'm sure others might see it a different way maybe?
honestly this sums it up perfect imo. its just too early to consider i think, even after its grown and on steam im still not sure.
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

Docfumi

For me I think F%$K that, I refuse to pay for content. This is a Beta game for now. Point!!!!!
I think about GPBikes and all the Mods that have fallen through the cracks because the
game development changed and no longer supports the mods. Why put out cash for a
mod that could be unusable in three months. I've seen it happen in GPBikes, where a
modder has left the sim and never updated his/her mod to the latest update. Think of all
the Beta3 tracks that we no longer have. You'll get my money out of my cold dead hand.  :-[

What happened to the Passion?  :o
I didn't lose the race, I ran out of laps.

PizzaChet

I keep getting crucified for protesting paid content when it's so high-cost. I just paid $25 for a season membership in order to get the national tracks that are coming out only to paying customers with a month or so delay on the track being released for free. I thought it was reasonable especially after the abuse organizers and creators had to endure for 5 years. Just think of the 12-25 year olds and their manners.
Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

pacopastor34

BETA in constat evolution and change, 0 people playing on the servers overall, Paying what?

2tfanatic

Remember boys, this is MXB not MXS.

Like BadStar said we shouldn't pay for passion.

BadStar

Adding to what docfumi said, I don't think mxb will see a steady community or online players until it is a "full release"..bc its natural to walk away for a bit in hopes for the next beta. It's natural that we will see larger amounts of players after an update.

I think as soon as Piboso can get to a pretty stable version(getting close imo) they should release 1.0 so the creative community can be confident their work will stick around and the players will also stick around and/or be attracted to the larger content amount + confidence it will stay around w/o major changes. I don't see why a v1.0 can't still get an update..

Paid content is going to happen if mxb grows.. the only way the non-paid community can enjoy it, is to simply create and share content even while others charge.  MXB central could(and probably will) be free uploads only and I personally think it will do fine.

I'm not a fan of paid but I only see success in free content if the free content creators hold strong to releasing free content.
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

Scuzzy285

okay i dont create only cause i dont know how but from where i stand i say there should be a donate button and those who love the content the game etc dont care about the money only making the game better i say donate if you have the money but if not atleast tell them how good of a job they are doing make them feel good about what they are doing but what do i know hahhah thats just how i see it
Aerial Racing Team

Vortex_Damien

May 25, 2016, 07:34:04 AM #10 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:37:01 AM by Vortex_Damien
My opinion is extreamly biased as I have sold and done free releases in the past. As far as selling content, either it be a model,track, or a memebership for a series i feel  it's completely up to the person.they wait i see is if you don't want it.. don't buy it. Something over on mxs that made me really dislike the community  was that people felt entitled to free releases. I agree the  community is a bit small to see a huge profit in selling something so i would say that alot of things will be free to help build up a community but you can't stop a market from forming. Now for a bit more detail of how I feel things should be sold or atleast a base idea for selling something should would be like.
For a bike model the way I'm going to be doing things is release a public version. A template to customize parts.. and lastly people who really want the model to render/customize further will be able to actually purchase the model file for a set price.  As for tracks selling a track I feel could be a option but I would never sell a track myself. I find no reason to sell one. A series is another thing people can charge for. Personally I love this idea. Paying to race a series is a great idea. It promotes smarter/cleaner riding I feel. Also allows people who are serious to race with other riders that are as serious as them. Just my input on things. To Sum it up charge if you want to.. if people want it they will  buy it if not then they wont. People shouldn't feel entitled to free to free content as i feel then the community will get toxic over paid releases and stuff.

HornetMaX

In principle I'm not really against paying for content.

I prefer to fund a mod than simply paying after it's done: if a modder says he needs 200$ to create something, I'm OK to chip in. But once the mod is finished, I want it to be given to everybody for free.
I know it sounds strange (and many will just sit there waiting for free mods and never ship in), but I don't really care, as it shows that the modder is just "covering his expenses" and not making a business out of this.

The one thing that bothers me though is this: after a few mods, I'd have paid more in mods than for MXB itself, and this looks just wrong to me.

Braap570

Since i saw what happend to the mxs community im more like against paying. I know it's a lot of work and I know with only a donate Button the guys would not get as much money as they should get cause of their incredible work. But i also made a few skins which took also a lot of time and when ppl liked it then i was happy by myself because others were also happy to get something for free. So for me it was more like passion to do that :)
What i totally dislike on the paying stuff is first: this game grows and grows. So you would have to Pay every half year/ year because of New Bikes or maybe Updates and stuff. Here you need all bike Models to Play online,  right? So if you would not buy New Models you couldn't Play the game anymore right (if it s wrong, ignore it :D)
The other thing is the pricing.  You just see These moneymaking idiots on mxs. Thats not like 1 bike costs 100 (which is ridiculous in my opinion) Dollars for everyone. I asked just for fun.  I should have payed 100 Dollar to get the bike. Then a friend of mine asked just for fun and he should have payed 80 Dollars for the same bike from the same guy. Thats also ridiculous and makes the community Bad... So if it would come to a pricing like this i wouldnt be updaten my game anymore i think. I want to ride in real and I want to share my passion online here and have fun with you guys. So i personally would not give out all my money for New Model stuff..
Hope you can umderstand my point? 😀

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I do like the idea of everyone paying say £10 to enter a race series and 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall get a percentage of the pot, it would encourage everyone to take the series more seriously, more competetively and is a low cost bit of fun... But that's more of a gambling style of payout I guess, not so much paying for content.

GDUBMX

Shame we are so far off that though with that dogshit netcode and core.exes,replay buffer sizes, draw distances etc.  Maybe one day when the game is finished..someone told me gpb has been in beta since 08!!
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />