• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:58:30 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Supermoto

Started by swerver, May 29, 2014, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swerver

Supermoto bikes/tracks would be an awesome addition to MX Bikes. They are after all MX bikes with road rims/front ends and supermoto tracks have dirt sections, so they would be more at home in MX Bikes than GP Bikes imho.

Ruubs

I agree. The only thing which really has to be added for this is road traction. As far as I understand Piboso has made a couple of tractions which track makers can't edit.
A wheel model is easily made, so that wouldn't be a problem.

RiccoChicco

We already have a supermoto in GPB (not released).

We are waiting for MXB to know where to release it.

PiBoSo told us that GPB suits better than MXB for a supermoto mod, but we need to confirm that. :)

Ruubs

But can you ride on dirt with it, that's actually the most exciting part of supermoto IMO.

A traction with lots of grip in MXB will probably be better IMO, I didn't make the games tho, so Piboso will probably know why it's better to do in GPB.

swerver

I'm no expert, and I'm sure whatever decisions are made are for good reasons, but most supermoto racers wear the same gear (helmets, boots, goggles, neck braces, etc) and ride in a similar manner to MX riders - more upright/foot out, rather than leaning/knee down, backing it in to corners rather than leaning into them, etc. so I just assumed that would be easier to do in an MX sim rather than a GP sim.

Glad to hear it's already being tested though, the KTM looks awesome!  :D

RiccoChicco

May 29, 2014, 09:03:15 PM #5 Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:06:19 PM by RiccoChicco
Well you can ride on dirt/sand (you need to edit tyres physics) but I'm pretty shure MXB will bring us a better support for dirt surfaces and jumps. ATM, jumps is probably the biggest problem to not bring correct supermoto physics to GPB. :)

So there a lot of problems for GPB :
- not correct rider animations (we don't know how to create a new one yet)
- Jumps are very difficult to manage
- Grass/Dirt/Sand support will be better on MXB

But PiBoSo is right on some things about GPB : Supermoto races are more similar to track races than MX races (starting grid, etc).

Thats why we are not decided yet  :-[

swerver

Quote from: Sandbiter on May 29, 2014, 08:40:56 PM
But can you ride on dirt with it, that's actually the most exciting part of supermoto IMO.

Agreed, it's not a real supermoto track if there's no dirt section, hopefully the developers will take that into consideration.

Keep up the great work btw devs, already enjoying GP Bikes full game and looking forward to a beta of MX Bikes!  ;D

Ruubs

About the starting gate etc. You can change the starting gate, pits, checkpoints, centerlines etc. just like in GPB, so I don't think that'll be a huge problem. You can even chagne the starting gate model, so you can always come up with something nice for the gates on a SM track. The only problem I see is the traction though.

Alby46

i would go for gp bikes. Some reasons:

- you can always copy the riding styles of mx bikes to gp bikes ( even the default one should be fine )
- while developing mx bikes, pib finds gp bikes limits and maybe gp bikes will have a better ( and soften ) physics, that would really help modders with supermoto and also street and race bikes to better absorb holes on the tracks

RiccoChicco

May 29, 2014, 09:21:59 PM #9 Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:46:34 AM by RiccoChicco
If asphalt support on MXB is the same than in GPB, Supermoto will be released on MXB.

But we don't have a lot of informations on it.

I stand ready to start to mod as soon as MXB alpha1/beta1 or whatever is released :)

Quote from: Alby46 on May 29, 2014, 09:20:55 PM
- you can always copy the riding styles of mx bikes to gp bikes ( even the default one should be fine )

Not possible. GPB and MXB riders are totally different (both in 3D and rigged). The .anm file from MXB rider will not be compatible with actual GPB rider.

Quote from: Alby46 on May 29, 2014, 09:20:55 PM
- while developing mx bikes, pib finds gp bikes limits and maybe gp bikes will have a better ( and soften ) physics, that would really help modders with supermoto and also street and race bikes to better absorb holes on the tracks

Yep but don't forget that Supermoto means jumps (by that I mean real jump, not only few centimeters). I don't think we'll have this in GPB, even if I also think MXB will bring physics corrections to GPB.

But who knows...  :)

swerver

Quote from: RiccoChicco on May 29, 2014, 09:03:15 PM
Well you can ride on dirt/sand (you need to edit tyres physics) but I'm pretty shure MXB will bring us a better support for dirt surfaces and jumps. ATM, jumps is probably the biggest problem to not bring correct supermoto physics to GPB. :)

So there a lot of problems for GPB :
- not correct rider animations (we don't know how to create a new one yet)
- Jumps are very difficult to manage
- Grass/Dirt/Sand support will be better on MXB

But PiBoSo is right on some things about GPB : Supermoto races are more similar to track races than MX races (starting grid, etc).

Thats why we are not decided yet  :-[

Interesting stuff, I know nothing about the technical side of making a sim, but I can see there's a lot more to take into consideration than my simple take on it. Jumps of course is a big part of supermoto, and again there's huge similarities with mx jumping. But yeah, the grid and some of the tarmac/asphalt aspects of supermoto are similar to GP. It blurs the lines between road and off-road, so I can see how it poses problems.  :-\