• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:42:53 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Mac install guide

Started by storken, January 26, 2020, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storken

Have gotten a few requests for a Mac install previously so went ahead and made one, with steam installed. Links are in the video description. Not very active on here, so if you have a question, I'm more likely to see it if I get a PM (email notification) or a comment on the video.

Ldnbmx

Hello... I am very keen to get this game working on my Mac, the video has been removed from YouTube ? Is there another video that has been uploaded ?

A_Rutherford

Quote from: Ldnbmx on December 28, 2022, 06:30:46 PMHello... I am very keen to get this game working on my Mac, the video has been removed from YouTube ? Is there another video that has been uploaded ?
me too, have you found any solutions yet?

flexgrip

MX Bikes on MacOS

I managed to get MX Bikes working great on MacOS directly using wine. I have an M1 Max MBP. My controller works great (8bitdo ultimate 2.4ghz) via usb, 2.4ghz, and bluetooth. They all work. Online racing, mods, and even MaxHUD all work great. Just copy them to your wine installation and you are ready to go.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is getting rumble to work in controllers. Rumble effects, I've read, don't work for controllers using dinput. So I am looking in to getting xinput to work. Wireless xbox controllers and ps4-5 controllers seem to work on Mac. You just need to look that stuff up. The 8bitdo ultimates I bought for this are actually way better in my opinion. But I'm not much of a controller guy.

Commands Run

1. Install wine

brew install --cask --no-quarantine gcenx/wine/wine-crossover
Optional: Now would be the time to setup your WINEPREFIX to get wine to install where you want. But this is optional.

To be safe, you can boot wine manually the first time by running `wine64 wineboot`

2. Download MX Bikes from mx-bikes.com
I have always had the version from mx-bikes.com. So it's easy to just install that version because they let you download the installer.

This will also work if you have the steam version of mx-bikes. What you would have to do is install the windows version of steam using wine. Then when that runs, use it to install mx-bikes. From that point you could either try running mx-bikes through steam or just run it directly using wine.

3. Install MX Bikes

In the terminal, find the directory where you've downloaded the mx bikes installer and then run:

wine64 wine64 mxbikes-beta18d.exe
The installer will pop up. Click through and install the game.

4. Run it for the first time

After the game installs it'll be in your WINEPREFIX. Usually that's just in your home directory under the .wine directory. In there you'll see

drive_c/Program Files/MX Bikes/mxbikes.exe
So just cd to that directory and then run `wine64 mxbikes.exe`

Optional controller mapping
For me, I needed to add environment variables for wine/sdl so that it knew all of the available buttons and mapping for my controller. You may need to do the same for yours unless you have a super well supported controller.

Basically just go here: SDL Controller Database

Get the string that matches your controller. Then when you start the game from the terminal you would set the environment variable like this:

SDL_GAMECONTROLLERCONFIG="03000000c82d00001130000011010000,8BitDo Ultimate Wired,a:b0...blahblahblah" wine64 mxbikes.exe
Once you get it all working, feel free to make a shortcut or helper script to launch it easier in the future.

flexgrip

I think I even got reshade working. Just had to override the native dlls.

raphpay

Quote from: flexgrip on September 01, 2023, 01:01:39 AMMX Bikes on MacOS

I managed to get MX Bikes working great on MacOS directly using wine. I have an M1 Max MBP. My controller works great (8bitdo ultimate 2.4ghz) via usb, 2.4ghz, and bluetooth. They all work. Online racing, mods, and even MaxHUD all work great. Just copy them to your wine installation and you are ready to go.

I was able to install and play the game through your tutorial, but how did you manage to get the mods working ?

Corvi113

Just installed mxbikes on my 21 macbook M1 Pro, it works but a bit freezing .. Do you have the same issue ?

flexgrip

Quote from: raphpay on November 03, 2023, 10:18:20 AMI was able to install and play the game through your tutorial, but how did you manage to get the mods working ?

The same way you install mods on windows. Just copy the mod files to the Documents directory. The actual path should be something like this on your computer: ~/.wine/drive_c/users/{your_username}/Documents/PiBoSo/MX\ Bikes/mods/

LupaHo

Hi, so i was able to Download the Game on my Mac! I tried to install the new oem mod to the Game, dropped it into the PiBoSo/Mods folder..
When i start the Game, the mod will Not Show up, can anyone help me?

RingedCarp1114

Hi there so I was able to get the game downloaded using wine cross over and I have been able to get the game loaded and I own it. But I am struggling so hard on adding mods onto the game. So if someone could please help with that, that would be amazing!! I cant drag and drop and Im not the best using terminal to save it so any help would be amazing!

RingedCarp1114

I figured it out Im just an idiot

cultchris

Quote from: flexgrip on December 06, 2023, 05:16:52 AM
Quote from: raphpay on November 03, 2023, 10:18:20 AMI was able to install and play the game through your tutorial, but how did you manage to get the mods working ?

The same way you install mods on windows. Just copy the mod files to the Documents directory. The actual path should be something like this on your computer: ~/.wine/drive_c/users/{your_username}/Documents/PiBoSo/MX\ Bikes/mods/

Hi Guys, new here! Just a quick follow up as I seem to have done these steps, however still getting no mods showing up in game.

What can you suggest I do next?

cultchris

Quote from: cultchris on January 08, 2024, 10:33:46 AM
Quote from: flexgrip on December 06, 2023, 05:16:52 AM

Hi Guys, new here! Just a quick follow up as I seem to have done these steps, however still getting no mods showing up in game.

What can you suggest I do next?

Okay so just to update - this DOES work of course, however I currently cannot change the path of the mods folder via global.ini file.

If I re-route the mods folder to an SSD, the mods folder is not found. That was my issue.

Anyone got a fix for this on MAC?

Thanks!

teeds

Could always try running everything in the install folder with this switch, no documents folder needed like this -
http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=899.msg12994#msg12994
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

RingedCarp1114

Hey there has anyone been able to download the max HUD for mac? I do not know where to put it in the Piboso folder.