• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:05:31 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Separate terrain and object draw distance

Started by Resolute Kraken, March 29, 2020, 07:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resolute Kraken

Since LOD for track objects is not supported at this time (will it ever be?), would it be possible to separate the draw distance settings for the terrain and track objects?  On very large maps like Erzberg which is 3.6 x 3.6 km that have very long sight lines, with even the default high draw distance of 1000 m the terrain draw in looks really bad at the edges of the map where it is drawing it - it looks like it is being warped and into another dimension with the terrain flickering. 

From my testing, the terrain has very little affect on the FPS performance. I can manually change my draw distance in profile.ini to 4000 and get the same performance as a low draw distance for the terrain - tested with no objects on the map.  The performance dip in my testing comes all from the 3D objects that are added to the map. You can decrease the draw distance to help with this, but again, the long sight lines of the terrain make it look really bad.

By separating the draw distance of the terrain and objects you could tune the settings to your own PC's resources.  This would allow for all the terrain to be drawn and not look bad, and then have the 3D objects draw in at shorter distances.  This seems like a common thing in other games where you often see draw in of objects but not the terrain.