• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:53:12 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Highpoint Raceway - WIP

Started by GDUBMX, January 26, 2017, 12:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDUBMX

Ok so i have been busy messing around with heightmaps etc and so far this is what i have for highpoint raceway

<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Well looks like you got it working. Good stuff!

I think your l3dt values must have been wrong ref your message. Heightmap needs to be imported at 2049 scale, horizontal scale needs to be 1. Then go to operations - change vertical range and set bottom to 0 and top to whatever your scale is in the hmf. Then go to operations - resize heightfield and set it to your size x and y is in your hmf.

Asdrael

Quote from: TFC on January 26, 2017, 01:05:13 PM
Well looks like you got it working. Good stuff!

I think your l3dt values must have been wrong ref your message. Heightmap needs to be imported at 2049 scale, horizontal scale needs to be 1. Then go to operations - change vertical range and set bottom to 0 and top to whatever your scale is in the hmf. Then go to operations - resize heightfield and set it to your size x and y is in your hmf.

Well, erm, no. In L3DT, the minimal value is 0 ONLY if you heightmap has pure black. Trick: create a pure black and a pure white spot on your heightmap before doing the L3DT conversion loop, write down your values, get a calculator out and adjust. Was pulling my hair when merging JS7 stuff, found this out the hard way.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

𝖙𝖋𝖈

January 26, 2017, 01:50:19 PM #3 Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:53:33 PM by TFC
That's probably my fault. I'm aware of 0 being pure black but normally just work to a rough idea that the scale is right, since in mx I'm never working to set scale of a specific jump or something, it doesn't overly matter and you do the best you can and let in game be the judge of whether it's right or not..

At least, the horizontal scale is going to be correct, and as long as when doing the geolocation export the bottom of the fade is aligned with the bottom of the mesh, once loaded into l3dt it calculates the highest point and adjusts the heightmap to reflect true 0 black and 255 white, meaning your height will eventually be correct.

I guess sx is a bit different! Apologies for that ;D

GDUBMX

January 26, 2017, 01:52:19 PM #4 Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:55:45 PM by gdubmx
Sorry fats I just don't get it mate,  the track looks fine once I've exported the raw from PS and loaded it into mapview.  But when I load it into l3dt with the dimensions it looks OK but still way to flat,  nothing like mapview. My track according to your geo Tutrial is 309mx309m when I put that in l3dt It looks small then I have to export it back out as a 2049 again.   I have no idea how I'm supposed to build the jumps etc when l3dt and mapview look worlds apart. Also in youe geo location tutorial you only measured one axis and got 407m then you put 407z 407x in your hmf.  Is that right?  I would of thought it would of been different for x and Z.  In mapview it seems the scale may still be slightly small on one axis but fine on the other.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Well your heightmap should be a square so one axis will be the same size as the other.

As for your l3dt size problem, not sure what to say. With horizontal scale at 1, resize at your scale x / z and vertical range at 0 to your hmf 'size' it should look identical. If it doesn't, something is not adding up.

GDUBMX

check it out fats? horizontal = 1
0m alt min 32m alt max

this is how it comes out
https://www.youtube.com/v/4Qhtnd9Y8Fk

𝖙𝖋𝖈

You missed 'operations - resize heightfield' to make it the same size as your hmf scale x or y ;)

GDUBMX

I got it mate,  happy days. Cheers dude,  now I have to sit and study the go pro footage for the jumps etc. Forgot how fun and annoying it can be track building hahha

BadStar

Quote from: gdubmx on January 26, 2017, 06:18:15 PM
I got it mate,  happy days. Cheers dude,  now I have to sit and study the go pro footage for the jumps etc. Forgot how fun and annoying it can be track building hahha

hey G,

Careful with my advice or recommendations as I am just learning to walk hahaha

If its a geo-location project, I highly recommend overlaying the satellite image over the terrain in L3DT.. I was able to see the shadows on the jumps and was able to place the jumps in the correct location (for the most part) with little studying.   

Just a thought in-case that helps
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

GDUBMX

Quote from: BadStar on January 26, 2017, 08:31:09 PM
Quote from: gdubmx on January 26, 2017, 06:18:15 PM

hey G,

Careful with my advice or recommendations as I am just learning to walk hahaha

If its a geo-location project, I highly recommend overlaying the satellite image over the terrain in L3DT.. I was able to see the shadows on the jumps and was able to place the jumps in the correct location (for the most part) with little studying.   

Just a thought in-case that helps

great idea mate, will defo look into that! thanks Badstar :)

GDUBMX

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Lol ;D

Oh, and badstar is spot on ;)

GDUBMX

Quote from: TFC on January 26, 2017, 10:05:20 PM
Lol ;D

Oh, and badstar is spot on ;)

yes!!! finally!!! cant wait to start the rest now :D

GDUBMX

Anyone fancy helping me with jumps? honestly the layout is fine but the obstacles are so shit its unreal.. :D