• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:45 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Sand fluffiness and deformation.

Started by Asdrael, April 20, 2017, 11:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asdrael

So, we were trying Southwick "clean" with a few people tonight to check out a deformation idea that seems to work well. Testing was done with OEM bikes and Geo tyres, wround 5 people for 1h30min.

What we noticed is that sand feels "gravel hard" without deformation but it's bearable.

The problem is that with deformation, the ruts become rock solid and it's very difficult to navigate: the deformation of sand is fast (like it should), fairly thin (the ruts could imo be broader and not as sharp on the edge in sand) - you end up with trenches that catch your wheel brutally.

Is it planned to soften up the sand so it's "fluffy"? If should feel like you are sinking in, which is not the case now. I don't think this can be currently modified in the tyre file though (or at least I don't know where).
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

Ruubs

+1

Deformation is great. Not even sure if we need broader ruts, but we really need the fluffy-ness. :)

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Displacement is the key to sand IMO. You won't get stuck in a shallow rut in sand, you'll displace the sand and make a new rut. Unless the rut is very deep it should be very forgiving from that angle.

Agreed right now it's like concrete, would be interested to know what the plan is for all material types as well as sand, as they're all concrete.

Mace-x

Piboso stated that the bulldozing effect will be implemented at some point, so instead of just making a hole where the wheel is the direction is considered and the dirt will move instead of dissapear (as it does now).

i might be wrong tho...  ;D

Ruubs

Quote from: Mace-x on April 20, 2017, 11:55:58 PM
Piboso stated that the bulldozing effect will be implemented at some point, so instead of just making a hole where the wheel is the direction is considered and the dirt will move instead of dissapear (as it does now).

Totally forgot about that!
Is that what it is? Because then I'm one happy man. That'd also make the dirt build up, right?

@Piboso
We all know you're busy with KRP at the moment. But any information about the bulldozing effect?

Ruubs

Video from yesterday showing off the concrete ruts.
https://www.youtube.com/v/o65GytZcR80

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Could also have something to do with the fact the ruts appear a second or so after they are made..

Mace-x

Quote from: Sandbiter on April 20, 2017, 11:58:37 PM
Quote from: Mace-x on April 20, 2017, 11:55:58 PM

Totally forgot about that!
Is that what it is? Because then I'm one happy man. That'd also make the dirt build up, right?

@Piboso
We all know you're busy with KRP at the moment. But any information about the bulldozing effect?

Well, yes and no.
yes, it will build the dirt so you´ll end with ruts both as holes and as dirt pileups.
and no, i dont think it will help with the "Fluffiness", in theory it should, but if you look at the replays, the ruts need about 3 seconds to form and update the terain, so the would be no actual displacement of the dirt in realtime, you would still have a "concrete" surface.
perhaps a fake collision could be implemented or something like it, not sure tho.