• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:16:11 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

sculpting ruts

Started by Alex, April 22, 2017, 12:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

not sure if this would work in mxb because i have no idea how you guys do your decals.
but i read an old post before of tfc asking for some rut decals like they have in sim. so thought maybe it could work
not sure how it would go with deform but anyway
a while ago i started sculpting ruts in blender. then baking the norms from the plane. then having the texture transparent and just using the norm from the rut and it looked really nice in game.
so you can use any type of texture/dirt to sculpt it with and the more poly the plane is the more detail you get obviously.

even thought the ground in these screenys is completely flat and its just normals still thought maybe someone could try it out on something. maybe this completely useless but just thought i would share the idea!

Ruubs

Good ideas. Unfortunately Mx Bikes doesn't use a decalling system. It's all done with masks, which I like a lot more.

Decals are better for some detail though, like the ruts. Overall I still like masks more, but a mix of both would be great.

Alex

ohhhh i see i thought that might be the case but when i saw the post about decals from sim i thought maybe could be possible for something

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I was doing something overly complex and didn't get a great result. Relying on MXB's standard deformation system really is the best way to go here.

Snappe did say something about them having more of a plan for this kind of thing in the future, but that could be a long way off.

Nice looking ruts though ;)

Vortex_Damien

would you guys be opposed to the rut style like this? as in when i make tracks to bank them in and add a lip to the edges ? of course all height map not mask

𝖙𝖋𝖈

April 22, 2017, 09:23:40 AM #5 Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:15:19 AM by TFC
It depends on the scale of your track. For example, of you have a 2k heightmap at 200 x 200 the rut might be 6 inches wide, if you have a 2k heightmap at 400 x 400 the rut would then be 12 inches wide.

Not a perfect system, but another reason I'd love to be able to use 4k heightmaps :( my guess would be that a 4k heightmap at 400x400 would then give you a 6 inch rut.

Scale for example purposes only ;D

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: geofanatec on April 22, 2017, 03:30:07 AM
There is much "undercutting" (like a cave) that can't be put into a heightmap.

We might not ever be able to see this effect with a heightmap, but there's no reason why PiBoSo shouldn't be able to simulate it.. That would be awesome.

Vortex_Damien

would be pretty cool to model some cave walls and make something like this :)

Asdrael

You can make a cave using an object. You can even make a track using an object, not sure how deformation will work though. The only issue for now I think is Lightning.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

𝖙𝖋𝖈

You can stop an object from projecting shadows while still making it collideable. It might even be what the self emmision lighting support does other than stopping that object from receiving shadows.. Not played with it yet.

I did it once with that warehouse model. I gave it the decal prefix, that stopped it casting and receiving shadows, then I made 4 simple walls and used WLLCONCINVISIBLE for the collisions.