• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:33:07 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Physics

Started by PDR, October 02, 2014, 05:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDR

Hello Pib and Snappe, great game so far! Just have a few problems with physics:

• In-air control of bike seems to not be present. I can whip but can not bring it back.
  • The bars in-air move a little too quick for a realistic characteristic.
  • Steering force is way too quick at slower speeds and I have serious trouble getting up a hill I fall on.

Other than that the game is off to a great start!

Clark139

What is force feedback and can we adjust it. To me it seems like it wants to level the rider out to much. Same as the leveling on mx sim

GDUBMX

Force feedback is controller vibration mate.
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

HornetMaX

Quote from: gdubmx on October 02, 2014, 08:21:57 AM
Force feedback is controller vibration mate.
No, force feedback is ... well, force feedback. If you have a wheel (like a g25/27) you can have force feedback.

On a joypad, at most you have the rumble (vibration) but MXB does not support this.

MaX.

Clark139

Oh ok thanks bud. I thought it had to do with friction. I think that is the problem with jumping and whipping is it thinks your still on the ground and the leveling obviously

Snappe

Quote from: PDR on October 02, 2014, 05:47:13 AM
Hello Pib and Snappe, great game so far! Just have a few problems with physics:

• In-air control of bike seems to not be present. I can whip but can not bring it back.
  • The bars in-air move a little too quick for a realistic characteristic.
  • Steering force is way too quick at slower speeds and I have serious trouble getting up a hill I fall on.

Other than that the game is off to a great start!

We are well aware of these problems. Steering / bike stability and air control will be improved in time and subsequent betas!
Anyone care to analyse the forces involved in a whip?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I think the main thing to consider is the bike wants to straighten itself out after being put into a whip..

but I don't ride, just going off other games and videos of people explaining how to whip.. that's all I got  :-X

PDR

Quote from: Snappe on October 02, 2014, 03:14:27 PM
Anyone care to analyse the forces involved in a whip?

Snappe, do you mean like how do the bars move and what does the rider do in assisting a the bike? TheFatController is right too, the bike does what to straighten itself out but that is not a massive effect. It is mainly which way the bars are going. The rider would shift his weight on the lip of the jump to get the bike going in a sideways motion and when the bars are turned back in the opposite direction the bike starts to center itself.

This video can give you somewhat of an idea by studying their motions when they whip.

https://www.youtube.com/v/uGWs-MGEAUo

MX181

https://www.youtube.com/v/cr7NV0wplIc

not even joking, watched this in my early days of whipping and i suppose how i learnt haha.

not sure if its what you want snap but thats a whip haha.

Live by the YOLO - UID #2

Snappe

Yeah I've studied a lot of best whip videos, and I've watched the Carmichael video a bunch of times too :-)

Might have to look into footpeg forces.

[GH]Cody

i would look at the moto guys such as RC in the video posted above, brett cue has some amazing vids on the motosport youtube page https://www.youtube.com/user/MotoSportInc/playlists.

MXK_cdub85

The main factors  in initiating and controlling the whip are leg grip and the natural gyro of the wheels and motor rotating. The legs are mostly applying force near the ankle, where your boots are contacting the frame. Then you also are using the gyro effect of the rear wheel to your advantage. When initiating your basic whip, the take off angle, speed, body position all have a huge  effect on how the bike will respond in the air. Another force to consider is the rotational inertia of the motor components. If you approach a jump while in an incorrect gear with it producing too many rpms, the whip will behave more erratically and may do the dreaded "double whip" motion. Not good. . Now, that's typical, every whip requires something unique that comes second nature unfortunately. I tried explaining the best I could. My experience comes from 23 years riding/racing 9 of those in the A classes. Still goin strong in 25+ A and 450 A  ;D

HornetMaX

Quote from: MXK_cdub85 on October 02, 2014, 05:41:09 PM
The main factors  in initiating and controlling the whip are leg grip and the natural gyro of the wheels and motor rotating. The legs are mostly applying force near the ankle, where your boots are contacting the frame. Then you also are using the gyro effect of the rear wheel to your advantage. When initiating your basic whip, the take off angle, speed, body position all have a huge  effect on how the bike will respond in the air. Another force to consider is the rotational inertia of the motor components. If you approach a jump while in an incorrect gear with it producing too many rpms, the whip will behave more erratically and may do the dreaded "double whip" motion. Not good. . Now, that's typical, every whip requires something unique that comes second nature unfortunately. I tried explaining the best I could. My experience comes from 23 years riding/racing 9 of those in the A classes. Still goin strong in 25+ A and 450 A  ;D

Hmmm .. I don't see what you mean with "Another force to consider is the rotational inertia of the motor components".
As far as I can see, the rotating engine components (mainly the crankshaft) have two impacts: 1, the gyro effect (just like the wheels, assuming the crankshaft is forward rotating, which should be the case for mx bikes I guess) and 2, the torque reaction (a forward rotating crankshaft helps wheelies, a backward one counter them). I'd tend to think only the 1st is relevant in our discussion.

So yes, the rotating inertia counts, but only because it affects the gyro effect, not because there's another effect on top of it.

MaX.

MXK_cdub85

I'm not as well versed in physics as id like, though i like to pretend i am lol. I got caught up in the novel i wrote and forgot i had already mentioned gyro. Tried my best to get the thoughts out. Thanks for pointing that out.

HornetMaX

Quote from: MXK_cdub85 on October 02, 2014, 10:15:11 PM
I'm not as well versed in physics as id like, though i like to pretend i am lol. I got caught up in the novel i wrote and forgot i had already mentioned gyro. Tried my best to get the thoughts out. Thanks for pointing that out.
For an experienced rider, your understanding of physics is surely above the average I'd say.

Now let's talk abut my riding skills (which are close to zero for road bikes, never even tried a cross bike) :)

MaX.