• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:04:05 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Ottobiano Motorsport - WIP

Started by giopanda, November 04, 2017, 10:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giopanda

hey guys!
here's the plan for my next project after Lierop.
another hell of a sand pit, home the 2017 Italian MXGP: Ottobiano.

i'm gonna work on the international track (highlighted), but woldn't it be awesome to have them all in a single compound?

anyway, don't expect anything in the near future, i just want to see if this could be an interesting track for you guys or not.

lemme know!

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Definitely! What would be great, if multiplayer worked well, would be to find out if 4k heightmaps worked ok. If they did, shouldn't be hard getting all those on one heightmap. If its 2k though, the ruts would be huge as their size is related to heightmap scale.

philiaN

November 04, 2017, 11:22:58 AM #2 Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:39:00 AM by philiaN
Hell yea, i was thinking the same when i saw it :D 3 mx tracks + 1 sm track that would be awesome

count me in for one of the other mx tracks or both. tfc would you have fun to do the sm track? because that is something i dont know (real asphalt)..

update: uploaded high resolution images into the geolocations folder

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwkVCs_TRhy5a1V3Y3hYa21mc3M

EdoKtm21

Love the idea! i live like 40 mins to the track in Emilia-Romagna, the region next to Lombardy.

philiaN

Quote from: тғc on November 04, 2017, 10:36:32 AM
If its 2k though, the ruts would be huge as their size is related to heightmap scale.

How do you do your ruts? I thought you do it in l3dt like i do it in sketchup and then as a png in photoshop/gimp ? There shouldn't be a problem if 1% opacity is to big just create a new folder and you can again lower the opacity? #opaception

Ruubs

Quote from: philiaN on November 04, 2017, 04:33:32 PM
If its 2k though, the ruts would be huge as their size is related to heightmap scale.

How do you do your ruts? I thought you do it in l3dt like i do it in sketchup and then as a png in photoshop/gimp ? There shouldn't be a problem if 1% opacity is to big just create a new folder and you can again lower the opacity? #opaception
Pretty sure he means width. How larger the heightmap resolution, the smaller the deformed ruts will be.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: Sandbiter on November 04, 2017, 04:40:50 PM
Quote from: philiaN on November 04, 2017, 04:33:32 PM

Pretty sure he means width. How larger the heightmap resolution, the smaller the deformed ruts will be.

This.. the bigger the dimensions the bigger the deform ruts are and harder to ride.

Ruubs

May I ask what HMF dimensions would be too big? I've not yet experimented with it.

Currently working on a track which is 610x610. Is this too much for a 2k heightmap?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: Sandbiter on November 04, 2017, 05:26:49 PM
May I ask what HMF dimensions would be too big? I've not yet experimented with it.

Currently working on a track which is 610x610. Is this too much for a 2k heightmap?

Well, Unadilla is 510 x 510. The ruts are just fine, in fact if not a little too large but for the most part almost perfect.

If I was to make a track with Unadilla 510 x 510 and two other small tracks in there too, it will need to be twice as big, and so the ruts will be twice as big too. There's only so much data in a heightmap, you can only go so small. And if the heightmap is converted to a 3d mesh for in game, there's only so many tris. You know how demanding it might be to double the subdivision of the mesh.. But that's speculation.

philiaN

Haha, Ironman is 940x940 and scale 25  :o

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: philiaN on November 04, 2017, 05:30:24 PM
Haha, Ironman is 940x940 and scale 25  :o

You'll just have to see how it goes. Most of the bigger tracks I've tried making were made before I started using deformation, due to not being able to use it online.

It might make quicker, better grippier ruts, it might make ditches!  ;D

Ruubs

Quote from: тғc on November 04, 2017, 05:30:18 PM
Quote from: Sandbiter on November 04, 2017, 05:26:49 PM

Well, Unadilla is 510 x 510. The ruts are just fine, in fact if not a little too large but for the most part almost perfect.

If I was to make a track with Unadilla 510 x 510 and two other small tracks in there too, it will need to be twice as big, and so the ruts will be twice as big too. There's only so much data in a heightmap, you can only go so small. And if the heightmap is converted to a 3d mesh for in game, there's only so many tris. You know how demanding it might be to double the subdivision of the mesh.. But that's speculation.
Good to know. Thanks.

The track I'm working on now has a weird layout. The environment isn't square. It's more like 610 x 200, thus just for that I need to make a bigger map, which sucks.

giopanda

working on a 2k heightmap, but everything is placed to fit in a 4k just in case..
nothing much to show yet, just started to lay down some dirt around the corners

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Notice you're moving on... How is Lierop going? :)

giopanda

took a break from that..couldn't figure out how to make decent bumps so started with this in the meantime..