• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:04:55 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Models import

Started by GDUBMX, October 29, 2015, 11:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDUBMX

Hey piboso team or anyone who can help. So I'm new to 3r modelling and how it all works and keep seeing this website pop up featuring some very detailed models.http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-of-kawasaki-kx250f-2015/852399

My question is can I buy one of these models and import it into mxb? Not saying I am but is this what this website is about and why we can buy models? Thanks guys.
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

Mace-x

Can you buy it and import it to mxb?
Yes and no.

Yes you can, no it wont run.

The model supplied is 190.000 polygons, i dont think mxb, or almost any game engine is capable of handling hat much polygons, i´d say 30.000 tris would be a quite detailed and nice bike.

In order to make it work you´d have to work on the mesh in order to reduce the amount of polygons, that´s a lot of work sadly  :(

GDUBMX

thank you very much mace! i really would love some new models, its gonna take me years to learn how to make and import decent models like Piboso's haha. i guess i'll just settle for what we have and keep skinning them as diffrent brands. :d thanks again Mace
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

Mace-x

No problem man!

If you know p2staa, dj, eskwaad, attacker or ddmx you can ask them for theyr 3d models, they´ve done some great work and i´m quite sure they would not mind the models on mxb.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Mace-x on October 29, 2015, 02:44:46 PM
In order to make it work you´d have to work on the mesh in order to reduce the amount of polygons, that´s a lot of work sadly  :(
Is that really that hard ?

I mean, if the hi-poly model has parts already grouped into "objects", maybe it won't be that long.

Also in some cases I've seen models that have multiple versions like hi/mid/low poly.

MaX.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I guess I can see both points here, but I'd argue that in order to have the knowledge level to lower a models polycount and optimise for a game while maintaining the highest quality then you should really learn modelling first in order to learn what's involved and whats required.

HornetMaX

Sure, only somebody with good knowledge of 3d tools could do that efficiently. But for such a person, would start from scratch be quicker than reduce an existing (and good) model ? I don't know.

Not that the models are cheap anyway :)

MaX.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Exactly  ;).. And I don't know the answer to that, plus yes models are expensive.

I can model for tracks OK, but if I knew blender better and could model well enough we'd all be riding other bikes right now lol  ;D

Mace-x

Quote from: HornetMaX on October 30, 2015, 11:21:09 AM
Quote from: Mace-x on October 29, 2015, 02:44:46 PM
Is that really that hard ?

I mean, if the hi-poly model has parts already grouped into "objects", maybe it won't be that long.

Also in some cases I've seen models that have multiple versions like hi/mid/low poly.

MaX.

Nah, not hard but slow, also you dont know how the model is done, and if is not done with a proper polygon flow it´s quite a mess.
It´s also hard to keep the textures/uv layout working without stretching once you´ve removed the polys.

in resume, it can be quite a headache and if you ask me, i´d use it for quick renders and such, but my choice for a game would be to model it from scratch, maybe use that model as a reference.

HornetMaX

Quote from: HornetMaX on October 30, 2015, 11:21:09 AM

Quote from: geofanatec on October 30, 2015, 03:45:22 PM
I actually got that model  :)

It comes with a low poly version and ready to go.

It is structured extremely nice and would work I am sure.

8)  8)  8)

MaX.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

So what you waiting for Geo?... hint hint  ;)  ;)

Mace-x

Gogogo!  ;D

𝖙𝖋𝖈

October 30, 2015, 04:01:13 PM #12 Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:03:01 PM by TheFatController
That one looks a lot nicer..

I'm pretty sure that would be a reference for a developer who's looking at including it as part of a game which will be for sale, as surely adding it as a free mod would be the same as me skinning the KTM with the KTM logo?

i.e

QuoteTurboSquid does not manage or attempt to figure out which rights are protected for which uses (personal, non-profit, commercial) in which countries (some trademarks are only in a single country). If an associated brand of any sort has been detected, TurboSquid will indicate that in the interface.

Not that I'm trying to convince you to do this of course.. ::)

𝖙𝖋𝖈

the Honda looks kind of funny.. The handlebars remind me of a pedal trike I used to have as a kid lol.

According to turbosquid you'd be safe to add it. You could even call it a Kawazuko XK 250 to be safe, be happy to skin it for you :D

HornetMaX

Quote from: geofanatec on October 30, 2015, 03:57:24 PM
From site: The brand 'kawasaki' has been associated with this product. Editorial uses of this product are allowed, but other uses (such as within computer games) may require legal clearances from third party intellectual property owners

Quote from: TheFatController on October 30, 2015, 04:05:58 PM
According to turbosquid you'd be safe to add it. You could even call it a Kawazuko XK 250 to be safe, be happy to skin it for you :D

I agree on the above, as far as you don't sell it you should be fine, even keeping Kawasaki in the name.

If you really want to play it safe and tweak then name, I'm for Wakasaki :)

MaX.