• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:03:45 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Example Track Released

Started by Snappe, April 18, 2014, 07:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MX181

Wow sand that look great, well done. Have you played around with one of them sx tracks you made yet?

Live by the YOLO - UID #2

Arvoss

onlyonetone

When I get off work today I'll figure out what you're doing wrong with terrainEd. It works for me.

onlyonetone

Head over to the documentation page. It explains very well.

Snappe

Quote from: geofanatec on April 19, 2014, 03:55:24 PM
What does terrainEd do exactly? I have same problem it opens command box then closes. Nothing happens.

TerrainEd is used to generate a .map (graphics) file and a .trh (collisions) file from your heightmap. You need to put terrained.exe in the same folder as both your heightmap.raw and the bat files. Then you can just run trh.bat and map.bat to generate the files. TRH generation is very quick, MAP generation takes longer since it has to calculate shadows.

All the files in the main directory are the 'source' files. In the example/ folder are all the exported files. After you export a new map / trh you'll need to put it in the same folder as the skies / amb / ini etc.
You can just load up the example track in mapview by opening example/example.map.

Also yeah, what onlyonetone said  :)
Although the docs still need some work.

Ruubs

April 19, 2014, 06:18:40 PM #35 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 06:29:42 PM by Sandbiter
Quote from: MX181 on April 19, 2014, 01:07:48 PM
Wow sand that look great, well done. Have you played around with one of them sx tracks you made yet?
That's actually just the example track Snappe made, with textures on it. I still didn't figure out how to get the skies and textures to work at the same time tho.
I'll try my Ax Hildago track out ASAP. I made textures and all the information already, so it won't be a pain in the ass to open it I guess.

Snappe, do you know if I can open both textures and skies at the same time in Map Viewer?

Edit---

Snappe, can you help me out a bit? So I guess terrained works fine now, even though I get a new track.map file when clicking another bat file, eg. I click trh.bat, I get a track.map file. When I click map.bat I get the same exact track.map file and it overwrites the other. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here tbh.
These are all the files I have in the folder.
http://i.gyazo.com/45b5945750439a862375c3aea44bb37b.png

MX181

All I did MXS was build tracks. My plan was to come to MXB and just be good at the game. But this sounds like fun definetly tempting.

Live by the YOLO - UID #2

Snappe

Sandbiter you seem to be missing the trh_params.ini file. You need that in the same directory as the bat files.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: MX181 on April 19, 2014, 09:41:34 PM
All I did MXS was build tracks. My plan was to come to MXB and just be good at the game. But this sounds like fun definetly tempting.

Yeah I wasn't planning on making tracks either but all this talk is making me want to. Used to love it on mcm2

Ruubs

April 19, 2014, 11:00:44 PM #39 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:35:55 PM by Sandbiter
Quote from: Snappe on April 19, 2014, 09:54:48 PM
Sandbiter you seem to be missing the trh_params.ini file. You need that in the same directory as the bat files.
Thanks, I'll try that out!

Edit-----
Did that and it worked, even though i have no idea how to look at the track in Map Viewer now. Everytime when I open the track in Map viewer it's all grey, no textures, no terrain, nothing.

I also saw that the output file of the trh.bat is a .trp file, not sure what's going on here, but I don't think it's good?

Another thing I don't understand is, when I put terrained.exe in the example track folder with all the source files in it and run map.bat or trh.bat the CMD program pops up, and nothing happens, it just sits there doing nothing.

Quote from: geofanatec on April 19, 2014, 10:57:42 PM
Whats easiest way to create these masks for mud and grass in photoshop?

I did heightmap and track.tga.
I use Dre's rut brush from MvA U.
http://www.mxmaniacs.com/goodies_view.php?goodiesid=5&page=1

These ones are helpfull aswell.
http://www.mxmaniacs.com/goodies_view.php?goodiesid=3&page=1
http://www.mxmaniacs.com/goodies_view.php?goodiesid=52&page=1

Ruubs

Thanks Geofanatec, .map file on the example track is working fine now.
I still have no idea why it isn't working on my own track though. I've the heightmap.raw (16 bits, 2 channelgroups) + e3dlog.txt + map.bat + mapview.exe + mapview.ini + params.ini + terrained.exe + track.map in one folder, and when I open track.map in mapviewer it is grey, and there is nothing to see.

Snappe

Make sure the texture layers are correct in the hmf file. Try starting with just 1 layer first perhaps? And make sure track.tga exists.

num_layers = 1
layer0
{
map = track.tga
repetitions = 1
}

bearded4glory

April 20, 2014, 01:15:50 AM #42 Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:17:54 AM by bearded4glory
Quote from: Sandbiter on April 19, 2014, 11:57:13 PM
Thanks Geofanatec, .map file on the example track is working fine now.
I still have no idea why it isn't working on my own track though. I've the heightmap.raw (16 bits, 2 channelgroups) + e3dlog.txt + map.bat + mapview.exe + mapview.ini + params.ini + terrained.exe + track.map in one folder, and when I open track.map in mapviewer it is grey, and there is nothing to see.

I am having the same issue.

This is what is in my folder:
http://gyazo.com/ff718fe4234686080135764e048772b9

And when I try to view it:
http://gyazo.com/8c60a8ecd3120989f531b496bafa4c38

bearded4glory

April 20, 2014, 01:38:46 AM #43 Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:47:20 AM by bearded4glory
Quote from: geofanatec on April 20, 2014, 01:21:57 AM
Ok......I can see a texture now in mapview, but can't look around anywhere!

EDIT: YES I CAN! Helps to hit correct buttons. Wow! I can see my track ;D

In the .hmf and .tht file you have these parameters to set.

samples_x = 2049
samples_z = 2049

data = heightmap.raw

size_x = 280
size_z = 280
scale = 14

My question is.......how do you know what to set size_x; size_z; and scale to?

Size X/Y are the dimensions of the terrain in meters SCALE is the height in meters

I got mine working, the folder name has to match the name on the track.map and track.trp.  IDK if that is your issue Sandbiter.  Next task is to try to put some objects in and some better textures.

Also, I have asked a couple times but can anyone confirm that the max exporter will work with newer versions than 2010?  I can install 2010 if I have to but I like some of the new features in 2014 and 2015 is going to be another good upgrade IMO.  Also, Autodesk no longer offers anything before 2011 so for newer people who may actually buy it (IDK how likely it is) they would have to use 2011+ (its 3 years so when 2015 hits it will be 2012+).

bearded4glory

Quote from: geofanatec on April 20, 2014, 02:37:10 AM
Ya i got it all going. Finally.

I get meters thing, but how do u know what the meters are to begin with? Convert pixels to meters?

Was able to create all files needed. But need game to test  ;)

Only part i dont understand now is scenery.edf

How the hell was that created? Where do u get objects to place? Etc.....

Lol. Thats only part im missing now

Well if you are making a replica with a google or bing overlay you can use the scale down in one of the corners to measure as a known distance (in pixels) and then do the math and figure out how bit it is.  You can also measure in google earth.  If you are getting height data through sketchup or something you can measure how big it is.  It depends what you are doing.  If you are making a random fictional track then just figure out how much room you need and go from there.

The EDF is generated by exporting from 3ds max, I have not got that far yet but I plan on messing with it a bit tomorrow to see what I can come up with.