• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 11:34:57 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Example Track Released

Started by Snappe, April 18, 2014, 07:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onlyonetone

Quote from: Sandbiter on April 23, 2014, 09:05:37 PM
Quote from: onlyonetone on April 23, 2014, 08:35:35 PM
Hey sandbiter. This may be to much to ask for. I understand masks a little bit but can't figure it out in ps. Could you noob it up and maybe post a screen of how you're setting it up in ps. Channels, alpha, what brushes, and how you're saving/exporting it. I would love you forever. The masking tutorial on Adobe helped a little bit but I don't understand how to do it with a track.
It actually doesn't matter what brushes you use, you just need to make sure you use full white and full black on the mask. I'll try to explain it as good as I can.

NOTE Image mode must be RGB, 8 bits!!!
-Open a new file, size 1024, 2048 or 4096.
-Make the background layer FULL black.
-Open a new layer, take a brush, white colour and brush.
-When you have what you want, you merge all the layers in one. Hit ctrl + A to select everything and ctrl + C to copy what you selected.
-Go into the channels panel and select RGB, then hit ctrl + V to paste what you copied before.
-Boom you have your alpha channel.
-Select Alpha 1 in the channels panel and then go to File, save as, name it the same as your texture but add _mask after it, chose targa (TGA) for your extention and click save.

Thank you! This will help a lot.

One Question.

The example mask has the heightmap in it. I Kind of need the heightmap to see what I'm masking. So do I just add that in as one of the layers?

Ruubs

Quote from: onlyonetone on April 23, 2014, 09:13:01 PM
Quote from: Sandbiter on April 23, 2014, 09:05:37 PM
Quote from: onlyonetone on April 23, 2014, 08:35:35 PM
Hey sandbiter. This may be to much to ask for. I understand masks a little bit but can't figure it out in ps. Could you noob it up and maybe post a screen of how you're setting it up in ps. Channels, alpha, what brushes, and how you're saving/exporting it. I would love you forever. The masking tutorial on Adobe helped a little bit but I don't understand how to do it with a track.
It actually doesn't matter what brushes you use, you just need to make sure you use full white and full black on the mask. I'll try to explain it as good as I can.

NOTE Image mode must be RGB, 8 bits!!!
-Open a new file, size 1024, 2048 or 4096.
-Make the background layer FULL black.
-Open a new layer, take a brush, white colour and brush.
-When you have what you want, you merge all the layers in one. Hit ctrl + A to select everything and ctrl + C to copy what you selected.
-Go into the channels panel and select RGB, then hit ctrl + V to paste what you copied before.
-Boom you have your alpha channel.
-Select Alpha 1 in the channels panel and then go to File, save as, name it the same as your texture but add _mask after it, chose targa (TGA) for your extention and click save.

Thank you! This will help a lot.

One Question.

The example mask has the heightmap in it. I Kind of need the heightmap to see what I'm masking. So do I just add that in as one of the layers?
Yes you can do that, be sure you don't merge it with the other layers though.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

This might not be helpful but do you wanna make sure your brush is not anti alias? I haven't messed around with the track tools or read the docs, I will when the games out. Just if its pure white and black an anti aliased brush will give different shades around the edges. Just chucking it out there, ignore if not helpful

onlyonetone

That is actually helpful. Thanks man.

onlyonetone

If I wanted all dirt. Wouldn't I just make the black layer then a all white channel and merge the layers?

bearded4glory

Quote from: geofanatec on April 24, 2014, 01:41:41 AM
I dont get texturing at all!

Holy crap. I make a mask in pure black/white. It works..................ok that's great.

BUT, how do you get a blending effect? Just even from grass to dirt?

I thought a grey channel would blend it together, but it still puts a very definitive line between the two.

I look at example files and they have tons of grey in them...........and look good. I must being doing something wrong.

So how do you blend the textures with the mask?

I have been running into this also.  Not sure what the cause is.  It seems like either I get texture 1 or I get texture 2 but I never get a mix of the two.

MotoX745

asking a lot of questions lately but ive been in TrackED for most of the day trying to get models into the game. is there a specific output other then .obj < i have already tried exporting out as that and everytime i try to go and pick the folder for the obj nothing shows up so that i can create it.

al167

snappe any chance of getting a .3ds template of a sky box/sky dome?
cheers al

bearded4glory

Quote from: al167 on April 24, 2014, 12:28:10 PM
snappe any chance of getting a .3ds template of a sky box/sky dome?
cheers al

I found these in gp bikes forum I guess they are from rFactor:
http://forum.kartracing-pro.com/index.php?topic=1513.0

al167

Holy crap. I make a mask in pure black/white. It works..................ok that's great.

I thought a grey channel would blend it together, but it still puts a very definitive line between the two.

I look at example files and they have tons of grey in them...........and look good. I must being doing something wrong.

in photoshop under image -> mode -> ensure you have RGB colour and 8 bits per channel selected. Then when you save as a .tga make Shure you select 32 bit.

bearded4glory

Quote from: geofanatec on April 25, 2014, 04:13:32 AM
Quote from: al167 on April 25, 2014, 03:03:29 AM

in photoshop under image -> mode -> ensure you have RGB colour and 8 bits per channel selected. Then when you save as a .tga make Shure you select 32 bit.

Yep, figured it out earlier today. Thanks though!

Anyway, now onto objects. Hmmm......I'm not a student and not buying 3ds max.

What to do? Blender is tough. I just don't understand.

Any help much appreciated. Specifically just how to import the heightmap to proper scale. From there I may, or may not, be ok

You would feel the same about Max if you havent used it.  Someone had a tutorial on how to put a terrain in blender on the MXS forums, it is buried in a random thread though.  I will see if I can find it when I get a chance.  You will want to know how to model, I know you said you were using sketchup before but you will be very limited if you dont learn a real polymodeling platform.

al167

April 25, 2014, 11:07:56 PM #101 Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:18:18 PM by al167

Anyway, now onto objects. Hmmm......I'm not a student and not buying 3ds max.

What to do? Blender is tough. I just don't understand.

Any help much appreciated. Specifically just how to import the heightmap to proper scale. From there I may, or may not, be ok

I can help you with blender. ive been using it with mxs, putting a heghtmap in and making basic models ect.

the truth is its gonna take you a full weekend to get the hang of it. just plan a couple of days and watch heaps of youtube vids.(search blender tutorial)
also use blender 2.63 if your interested in mxs as its the latest one supported by them.

don't start with putting a heghtmap in yet, just build a basic item like a haybale. uv map it, make a normal map and get it in game,

then build a quickshade. then a scoretower ect. after you've built three or four items then start trying to import a heghtmap and place lots of objects.

it just takes patience, but after you start youll never look back!

cheers allan.

onlyonetone

Hey Pib or Snappe is it okay to put the example track ingame? Because I already did and it's a fun little track. I was wondering if we can go online with it?

Snappe

Quote from: onlyonetone on October 01, 2014, 08:19:18 PM
Hey Pib or Snappe is it okay to put the example track ingame? Because I already did and it's a fun little track. I was wondering if we can go online with it?

Sure go ahead, but it might need some work for online use... Checkpoints and such.

MX181

I had this track in game straight away and it rides so bloody good haha, best by far!!!

Live by the YOLO - UID #2