• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:26:44 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

First Person camera suggestion

Started by daffernn, March 12, 2015, 05:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyMac

Quote from: TheFatController on March 13, 2015, 10:03:13 PM
I hate to say this, because I've never been a fan of the fisheye type large FOV people always ran on MXS..

But Daffernn I just tried your settings, and with the addition of FOV at 105, it really brings first person alive for me! So much easier to see whats going on!

Set tilt to 1.0, not sure much difference after 0.5, but with this and my fov at 110, these 2 absolute TRANSFORMS the look and feel of this game from gp to mx!! WOW!! Piboso and Snappe, seriously, you guys have your preferences, but you really should consider opening up the tilt and fov in the gui, and set these as the default camera settings. You guys are practically hiding a setting that can really help deter the "feels like a gp game."  :o  ??? After I started leaning all the way forward and sitting in the corners, with these settings and rider leaning into corners, it was a completely different game for me. Cornering felt like an mx bike! Completely turned my skepticism of purchasing game, into a 100% purchase. ;D

Like others said,  the sit/dab is very hard to tell in first person cameras, especially second fps camera, so anything that can help, like a little icon next to the transmission gear hud, this would help.

HornetMaX

Quote from: JohnnyMac on March 13, 2015, 05:17:08 PM
Braap570's post of photos is brilliant showing gp vs mx, with Dungey showing mx style with his head/body tilt aligned with his bike in the corner.
I'm a bit lost ... are you referring to this picture ? Because the rider body and his head are not at all aligned with the bike, not by a mile.

Quote from: JohnnyMac on March 13, 2015, 05:17:08 PM
I gave mxs just as an example and what happens..."I don't like mxs view" from the dev. (Got the same thing when asking for increased FOV settings by the way!)
Uh, he said that the chassis-fixed camera is not realistic, which is true: your head is not rigidly attached to the tank.

I think that having a very large head tilt allows you to better judge the bike's lean angle (when riding with one of the two 1st person views), so maybe that's why you (and others) like it more, on top of the fact that is closer to what MXS does and what you/others are maybe accustomed to. But that doesn't mean it's more realistic.

FYI, the fov increase has also been requested (by some players) in GPB too.

Overall I think that whichever limit value Piboso/Snappe go for, it should be allowed in-game and tweaking the .ini shouldn't allow anything more than that.

BTW, I don't think it's the tilt or fov that gives the "gp feeling": GP riders have he same fov (I guess we can agree on that) and do compensate the lean with the head, just like MX riders. This is visible in the pics posted by braap: bike on an angle, head more vertical, for both MX and GP.

MaX.

JohnnyMac

Max, is Dungey's head aligned with his body? Sure looks like it to me. Is he aligned with the bike, no, he is leaning out. So, if Dungey was not leaning at all, his head and body and bike sure look like they would all line up. Therefore, if I do not lean in the game, my view should line up with the bike. If I lean out, more vertical, then yeah it would look like Dungey in that photo and some variation of whats allowed in the interface. What I don't like is a first person camera that aligns with the horizon! Im pretty sure I said that at beginning, that the tilt should compensate for body lean, but for my personal preference (and the others who have tried it), this feels way better. I would be heartbroken if team took this away...its a dang camera tilt for goodness sakes, not a fricken physics hack.  ::)

HornetMaX

Quote from: JohnnyMac on March 16, 2015, 05:58:50 PM
Max, is Dungey's head aligned with his body? Sure looks like it to me. Is he aligned with the bike, no, he is leaning out. So, if Dungey was not leaning at all, his head and body and bike sure look like they would all line up.
The last part is not given at all (if he was not leaning then his head would be aligned to his body). In many mx pics/videos I see, the head is not always aligned with the torso.

Quote from: JohnnyMac on March 16, 2015, 05:58:50 PM
Therefore, if I do not lean in the game, my view should line up with the bike. If I lean out, more vertical, then yeah it would look like Dungey in that photo and some variation of whats allowed in the interface. What I don't like is a first person camera that aligns with the horizon! Im pretty sure I said that at beginning, that the tilt should compensate for body lean, but for my personal preference (and the others who have tried it), this feels way better.
OK, I see better what you mean now.

But in all the helmet cam videos I see, the combined effect of rifer lean + head tilt is such that you don't see the horizon swing as wildly as when you set the tilt to 1.0 in MXB.
It even seems to me that having the tilt = 1.0 (with the horizon swinging a lot) is more moto gp style than mx style ...

Anyway, el Pib said they have changed stuff in beta3 about that, so we'll see.

MaX.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

March 16, 2015, 11:12:13 PM #34 Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:18:38 PM by TheFatController
Hows this? Might have tilt a little too high, tend to agree with MaX on this one (disclaimer not getting defensive  ;))

Modified the helmet for MaX's hud plugin (hope you don't mind MaX, if others want it do you mind if I upload the files?) I know you can see more of the visor than you probably can IRL, but there you go, my helmet's in the garage and probably full of spiders so I wasn't about to go out and try it on lol..

You'll have to excuse my crap riding, personally it was before but now even more so - the closest feeling to riding in real life that I've ever experienced on a PC.

https://www.youtube.com/v/HDYdycUR17k?rel=0

𝖙𝖋𝖈

March 16, 2015, 11:26:23 PM #35 Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:28:15 PM by TheFatController
Actually think I prefer much less tilt. When you watch GoPro videos, normally the horizon doesn't seem to go past about 10 degrees either way.

Much prefer the way the bike moves around the view when leaning L/R, with the exception of 1:19, which seems a bit too extreme. It would be nice if it was progressive i.e the faster you go the more tilt, the slower you go the less tilt, which is also reflected in GoPro videos.

https://www.youtube.com/v/4dFds93-h68?rel=0

BOBR6 84

HornetMaX

Quote from: TheFatController on March 16, 2015, 11:26:23 PM
Actually think I prefer much less tilt. When you watch GoPro videos, normally the horizon doesn't seem to go past about 10 degrees either way.
That was exactly my point (even if I may concede a bit more of 10deg in some videos). And the max 20% tile in MXb (in the UI) shouldn't be too far from your 10 degrees ...

Quote from: TheFatController on March 16, 2015, 11:12:13 PM
Modified the helmet for MaX's hud plugin (hope you don't mind MaX, if others want it do you mind if I upload the files?)
No problem at all, the plugin exposes the .tga files exactly for that, so that people can modify them (if I didn't want people to do so, the files wouldn't be so easily accessible  ;)).

If you (or anybody else) comes up with one or more helmet files more adapted to MXB, I can even include it in the plugin .zip file, so that anybody can have them.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

March 17, 2015, 12:11:10 AM #38 Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 12:13:18 AM by BOBR6 84
Camera position looks good to me  ;D id say the only difference is that the virtual rider does'nt move around the bike as much as you would irl.. That picture above, I doubt he was in that exact position around the whole corner?

JohnnyMac

Quote from: TheFatController on March 16, 2015, 11:12:13 PM
Hows this? Might have tilt a little too high, tend to agree with MaX on this one (disclaimer not getting defensive  ;))

Modified the helmet for MaX's hud plugin (hope you don't mind MaX, if others want it do you mind if I upload the files?) I know you can see more of the visor than you probably can IRL, but there you go, my helmet's in the garage and probably full of spiders so I wasn't about to go out and try it on lol..

You'll have to excuse my crap riding, personally it was before but now even more so - the closest feeling to riding in real life that I've ever experienced on a PC.

https://www.youtube.com/v/HDYdycUR17k?rel=0
Never seen that helmet view before. I want!

daffernn

why is it when im sitting and weight the outside peg my handle bars just start bouncing :s when i say weighing the outside peg i mean turning left and leaning right but my bars just start shaking and i fall :s

teeds

Sounds odd, when I do the same it's fine and pretty much does as you'd expect ( you can see it in use at 40 secs in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMO1t7ufDRc#t=40 ), got a vid of your shaking?. Only thing I've noticed with this move is the timing, try it too late (after you have too much lean angle on) and it can bring you down and when to release seems to take a bit of trial and error.
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

daffernn

This is all i could really get at short notice it gets alot worst on wide open corners
https://www.youtube.com/v/cXrcyIBAURg&feature=youtu.be

HornetMaX

Quote from: daffernn on March 17, 2015, 11:15:16 AM
why is it when im sitting and weight the outside peg my handle bars just start bouncing :s when i say weighing the outside peg i mean turning left and leaning right but my bars just start shaking and i fall :s

I noticed that too (while playing with the tilt settings), it's very visible at very low speed (go straight low speed, lean rider, look at bars). If there's load on the front or speed is reasonable, then the bars won't move too much, but if the front is light and/or speed is low, then you see the bars moving a lot (and you fall if you are already on a large lean angle).

It seems the rider applies torque to the bars in order to lean his torso: maybe he should push more on the bike frame than on the handlebars (torso leaning left, bike frame leaning more to the right).

MaX.

teeds

Weird, that oscillation is not something I've seen when doing the same manoeuvre. In your vid daffern you seem to go from no lean to full instantly, I'm using lots of smoothing with it, tried that?  Also I think you are but it's hard to tell for sure from the vid, you're using forward lean as well right? And are you guys getting this with a default setup?
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba